Thread: Barend Shifters

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Barend Shifters

Did a search, did`nt come up with much. Who uses barend shifters? Pros? Cons?

Number 2 on the course.
    Pros -- they are cheap and durable.
    Con -- they suck to race with compared to integrated levers.

lung lacking loser

What he said...

Ditto what PBB said.

Have you raced cross before or done any trial riding on a drop bar bike? If so, did you ride mostly on the hoods or in the drops? If it was on the hoods, think of what it would be like to have to reach down to the end of the bar and shift. Not quite as convenient as sti/ergo.

That being said, it's not terrible. I used them on my first frankenbike and it was OK. i still have them on a moustache bar-ed mtb and they work just fine for commuting and the occasional dirt path. Also, a lot easier to use on the moustache bar than the drops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks kinda of what I was thinking. I`ve herd that some people use them and was thinking about having to move my hands around alot to shift with them. I`m looking forward to some cross races next fall (first timer) and I`m working on the bike set up.

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatz
    . . . the bike set up.
    Singlespeed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    i raced with bar-end shifters for several years and liked the fact that they're cheap, are less likely to get clogged up if you crash in the mud, and you can make big shift jumps, even if you're wearing big gloves and your fingers are frozen. if budget is important, they're a good way to go (then you can drop crazy cash on nice tubular tires). shifting isn't too inconvenient especially if you ride in the drops and it may have helped me not to shift too often. all that being said, i like integrated shiftlevers these days.

m_s
    oh lonesome road for you
    They are worse the less you ride in the drops. If you ride in the drops at least half the time they are awesme for all the mentioned reasons. I don't, so like my STI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I raced on them for years as well and they'res one other advantagem the friction option on the shimanos. In a pinch, you can jam anyone's spare wheel in there...campy, ,9,10..etc and go.
    That said, I'm not going back to them for cross (although I still have them on my commuter),
    blahg. have-a-snack.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by co2cycle
    i raced with bar-end shifters for several years and liked the fact that they're cheap, are less likely to get clogged up if you crash in the mud, and you can make big shift jumps, even if you're wearing big gloves and your fingers are frozen. if budget is important, they're a good way to go (then you can drop crazy cash on nice tubular tires). shifting isn't too inconvenient especially if you ride in the drops and it may have helped me not to shift too often. all that being said, i like integrated shiftlevers these days.
    +1 but I actually prefer them over integrated for off-road. I ride on the flat of the bars so moving down to the bar end as opposed to stretching for the brake lever is more preferable.

I just put together this Serotta and changed the Ultegra STI that came with the bike to barcons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barend Shifters-4388749800_7159eab568_b.jpg  
    Last edited by veloduffer; 03-11-2010 at 07:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I have used some sort of barcon shifter system since the late 60 s on some rig. Right now I have a mtb and a back up back up cross bike with them. Before brake/shifters they were the cats whiskers for cross. Now not so much. But for that one race where everthing is mud up/froze up you can shift to friction mode and be able to hit a few gears. No matter how messed up your gears get, the barcon will shift into something you can use. Paul Curley won a National Championship on them this year (and almost every year he enters).
    Actually after racing SS a fair amount, I don't shift as much on my geary bikes and was thinking of running a single barcon on one of my race bikes again.They are not as good, but not all that bad on a cross bike as indexed brake/shifters.

jrm
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Bar End Shifters & thumbie mounts

or the Kelly Take Offs are a nice alternative to bar end mounts.

old school drop out
    I use them on my drop-bar mountain bike. The major issue is that you can't always shift when you want - the worst being when you're bombing down a hill and need both hands on the bar for control, and you know that you're in the wrong gear for the hill that's just ahead, but there's nothing that you can do about it because reaching for the shifter means that bad things will happen. I end up climbing some hills in the wrong gear (at least until I can get a shift in).

For general trail use on a CX bike they're perfectly fine. If you're racing for fun they're fine. But if you are racing to win, I'd opt for STI shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    For general trail use on a CX bike they're perfectly fine. If you're racing for fun they're fine. But if you are racing to win, I'd opt for STI shifters.
    Two years ago, I won some races on barcons, this past year, I did not win at all using STI, of course I was racing B two years ago, and I raced A this past year. Performance of bar end shifters is great, in most conditions, it seems STI is a little more sensitive. I do ride in the drops for most of the time in racing, so the shifters are close anyways. If I rode on the tops or hoods more it might not be as practical. It's cheap enough and resale is ok, you can always try it out for the summer, do some fast rides on it, and if you don't like it put them on ebay and get some sti's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I use them on my drop-bar mountain bike. The major issue is that you can't always shift when you want - the worst being when you're bombing down a hill and need both hands on the bar for control, and you know that you're in the wrong gear for the hill that's just ahead, but there's nothing that you can do about it because reaching for the shifter means that bad things will happen. I end up climbing some hills in the wrong gear (at least until I can get a shift in).

Hey, what drop bar are you using? I am trying to put some barends in my origin8 gary bar, and they don't seem to want to fit. I am pretty sure they should, is there a trick?

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    or the Kelly Take Offs are a nice alternative to bar end mounts.

Have you ever used the Take Off? I've always wanted to try them but was hoping for some feedback from current users.

FroginOzzie
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alpka
    Hey, what drop bar are you using? I am trying to put some barends in my origin8 gary bar, and they don't seem to want to fit. I am pretty sure they should, is there a trick?
    My shimano shifters did not fit either into the Gary. I happened to have a Midge bat which works great.
    There was a thread about that in the 29er forum. One guy did a modification to make it fit.
    I don't recal how.

lung lacking loser
    Quote Originally Posted by alpka
    I've got barcons in a tiki bar (Origin8's version of the moustache bar). They didn't fit at first either, so I just sanded out the inside of the bar until it fit. Not the most elegant job, but it worked. I attached a low grit (50 or 60 I think) sand paper to the largest drill bit I had and worked it around the inside diameter of the bar until I could get them to fit. Like I said, not the most elegant of solutions, but it worked.

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1
    Have you ever used the Take Off? I've always wanted to try them but was hoping for some feedback from current users.
    I have. IMO, they are worse than bar ends. I found that was not possible to cover the full range of lever throw from a single hand position. Some gears were only really accessible from the drops, others from the hoods or tops. On top of that, the selection of gears that you have from each position is opposite the gears I tend to ride from those positions. It works better with a low-normal (rapid rise) RD.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    I have. IMO, they are worse than bar ends. I found that was not possible to cover the full range of lever throw from a single hand position. Some gears were only really accessible from the drops, others from the hoods or tops. On top of that, the selection of gears that you have from each position is opposite the gears I tend to ride from those positions. It works better with a low-normal (rapid rise) RD.
    Thanks.