RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006

Bontrager Jones CX 700x32 Tires

I bought a 06' Poprad this year which came with the Bontrager Tires. Most of my first races have been on mellow/dry/high-traction venues. Yesterday was a mudfest; however, and I loved it! Would I have felt better on a set of Mud2s or something more suited to slimy conditions? I know the easy answer of course is yes....but what I'm wondering is how bad are the tires that came on my bike? Or are they pretty good? Please lend your thoughts....

thanks

Incorrigible Wanderer - R.I.P.
    Ummmmm--why are you asking us how your tires are?

I think you answered your own question. The Joneses are pretty decent on anything dry; I have a set, and while they're not my favorite tire, they've turned out to be great on local fire roads. I would want something more aggressive for muddy conditions, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    I used one for a little bit. Nice tire for dry dirt roads but they are really small.

Morgan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus
    Ummmmm--why are you asking us how your tires are?

I was just wondering how much improvement I should expect with a more mud oriented tire? Is it something I will notice, so I should go out now and buy a pair or should I wait until these tires are gone?

Incorrigible Wanderer - R.I.P.
    Will you notice the difference with a proper mud tire? Absolutely. Is it worth running out and spending, what, $80+ for tires that might only be needed a few more times this season? I wouldn't think so. My vote would be to continue using the Bontys until they're used up, and have the Muds ready for next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    The bontrager's are fine - until it gets muddy. Those tires are also good on the semi-wet grassy type courses. If I were you and wanted a multi-condition tire I would go with the Maxxis Larsen's. So far they have behaved well for me on a variety of surfaces and shed debris quite well. They also have ramped center section knobs that really keep the resistance down on the tarmac. Oh, and they're a 35 as opposed to the 32 - I have both and the Maxxix are a lot wider/more stable.

If you want a mud tire, from what I hear those Muds are the bomb. If you have two sets of wheels (or more) get a set of mud specific and a multicondition tire like the bontys or Maxxis.
    Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk you get.
    -Homer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the input, that's the response I was looking for.