RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

caadx 5 vs jake the snake

Yep, still looking for a bike after BD sold out of the size I needed. I'm back to considering the the cannondale caadx5 and kona jake the snake.

What's everyone opinions? Is one better than the other?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Haven't tried the CAAD5 but my Jake has been great so far.
    What is the main purpose of the bike? Just purely race or are you looking for an all-arounder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    All-arounder. I want something that I can commute on (2 -3 times a week, about 25-30 miles round trip), and something that I can rip up and down the miles of flat, gravel paths and fire roads around my house on weekends. I'd also like the ability to ride with some of my "not too serious" road buddies. No racing planned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    LOL... that exactly what I was looking for with the Jake. So far I have done everything but the gravel grinder ride and it has performed beautifully. Two road rides last week with my roadie/mtb buddy and we did great and the bike felt just like a road bike. Have commuted everyday on it and it is super comfortable for riding in traffic on the tops, or the hoods, and going into the drops feels fine.
    I just put a set of Vittoria Cross XG Pro's on it and they have performed well on the road at 60psi, now have to take her to the single track (at some point this week) and give her a shot on there.

Got some new brakes coming (TRP CX8.4) as I could not get the Kore's to keep adjusted properly. Will eventually dump some more money into with new brake cables (Alligator iLink with either Slick inners or XTR inners), bars (On-One Midge) and bar tape. that is going to have to be all I spend for a bit as with the little odds and ends here and there (road tubes, extra set of levers, pump, bag) and the new tires and brakes I have spent WAY to much.

Here she is...

Kona Jake with proper CX shoes by renofizz, on Flickr