Dodging SUVs Downtown
    Oct 2004

Cable hanger ideas - Syncros hang doggie

Hello,

you guys helped me get the right parts for my spooky cantis (barrels for cable ends to fit into the ends of hte arms), and now the brake works great (I only need a front )

But I noticed when I set up the brake that roughly 97.5% of the friction in the front brake cable system is coming from my hanger, even when all lubed up with a teflon cable. I have attached a photo of my synchros hanger so you can see it, it's actually not on my bike but it's the same. I have about as much room under my stem as this picture.

I'm wondering how I can reduce the friction and provide the same functionality. the newer noodle style hangers (available from CXworld for example) do not seem like they would be much better. I'm thinking I could maybe run the cable over the top of the handlebars and over the stem, and wrap down the other side into a ferrule sitting in the existing hanger, eliminate the noodle, which is definitely the problem, since I was feeling the friction with a brake cable just through the separate noodle, not attached to anything else.

The deep drop cable hanger that's available seems a little steep at $30, but maybe that's what it'll take.

Any clever (or not so clever) solutions?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Andy

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004

Are you running Teflon sleeving?

Quote Originally Posted by FixinInTraffic
    Hello,

you guys helped me get the right parts for my spooky cantis (barrels for cable ends to fit into the ends of hte arms), and now the brake works great (I only need a front )

But I noticed when I set up the brake that roughly 97.5% of the friction in the front brake cable system is coming from my hanger, even when all lubed up with a teflon cable. I have attached a photo of my synchros hanger so you can see it, it's actually not on my bike but it's the same. I have about as much room under my stem as this picture.

I'm wondering how I can reduce the friction and provide the same functionality. the newer noodle style hangers (available from CXworld for example) do not seem like they would be much better. I'm thinking I could maybe run the cable over the top of the handlebars and over the stem, and wrap down the other side into a ferrule sitting in the existing hanger, eliminate the noodle, which is definitely the problem, since I was feeling the friction with a brake cable just through the separate noodle, not attached to anything else.

The deep drop cable hanger that's available seems a little steep at $30, but maybe that's what it'll take.

Any clever (or not so clever) solutions?

Thanks in advance!

If not, that would help. You can salvage some from an old piece of housing, run it through the noodle then run the cable through it.

check out the podium

ditch the noodle...

you don't need it. I had the same problem and if I'm reading your post correctly, your cable re-routing idea works great. I've got the stem flipped up here, but it was flopped down before and still worked great. Ultegra sti with paul's retro for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cable hanger ideas - Syncros hang doggie-img_0841.jpg  
    http://legolord.blogspot.com/

early registration is worth hundreds of hours of training

-avatar photo courtesy of hup united

Dodging SUVs Downtown
    Oct 2004
    That picture is _exactly_ the idea that my boss and I had (at a tech company, not a bike shop, but he worked at a bike shop many years ago ) So I'm glad it works well and I will try it. My stem is 0deg (threadless) so even though my head tube doesn't extend much above the TT weld it should be fine.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad to hear that setup works and I'll try it. I just run plain aero levers (nothing to shift ) but my cable routing is just the same.

Much appreciated!
    Andy