RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Canti brake purchase...FSA slk or TRP eurox

I'm need to purchase a mid priced canti brakeset, Feedback on either brake please....

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Trp's. Good clearance, good cost, good quality, pros love 'em.
    '11 CAAD 10 Boyd 38 carbon's, ultegra, Easton cockpit.

"You can either jump on the break and win, jump and lose, or not jump and losefor sure..."

Old, slow, and fat.
    I've got 2 pair of Euro Xes. Decent brakes for the $$. Get some Kool Stop Salmon pads for em and they're even better.

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    TRP cost how much? You can get Avid Ultimates for 78 dollars online.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    TRP is over rated. If it's not their V Brake they aren't worth it. The Eurox take for ever to set up. The only thing they have going for them is their weight and look. Get the Shorty Ultimate or go with the TRP Vbrake. I choose stopping power over mud any day. Get better at riding mud if you want to complain about clearance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    TRP cost how much? You can get Avid Ultimates for 78 dollars online.
    +1

And the TOTAL difference - front and rear combined - between the Euro X MAGs and the Ultimates is less than 1 ounce (approx 20 grams).... Cheapest set of EuroX Mags on Ebay currently is $214 USD (w/free shipping) and cheapest Ultimates appears to be $79 USD w/ $5 shipping for each set (for those of you who cannot do the math, it will come to a total of $168 USD and that's IF the seller doesn't "combine shipping.")
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

RoadBikeReview Member
    FSA's are cheaper and lighter and easy to set up. I actually have a set of both. The FSA's are a little flexy but do the job.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    i have the tektro cross cantis, they are inexpensive and seem to work very nicely. The return springs are a little weak but overall they are worth considering for 25 bucks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GDeAngelo View Post
    TRP is over rated. If it's not their V Brake they aren't worth it. The Eurox take for ever to set up. The only thing they have going for them is their weight and look. Get the Shorty Ultimate or go with the TRP Vbrake. I choose stopping power over mud any day. Get better at riding mud if you want to complain about clearance.
    I'm also looking at the trp vbrake, how do they work when compared to the canti, I'm using them on my fire road bike so mud clearance is not an issue
    thx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cxboy View Post
    I'm also looking at the trp vbrake, how do they work when compared to the canti, I'm using them on my fire road bike so mud clearance is not an issue
    thx
    Honestly, on a road bike I would go with road brakes. Unless you are wanting to run larger tires. The thing you have to get used to on VBrakes is there little dead pedal in the pull. Once they engage, they engage very well. I also like them cause you can feel the amount you put into it. If you want just a bit of brake squeeze just a little, if yo want a lot, then squeeze the snot out of them. For off road, minus a disc brake, there is not better braking power. I'd run VBrakes on a cross bike every day of the week. Now, if someone gave me discs, **** yeah, I'd use them and love it. But unless you have money growing, work at a shop or are sponsored, switching to discs is pricey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    $20 mini-v brakes with good pads will out-stop any of the cantis that the OP mentioned.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    $20 mini-v brakes with good pads will out-stop any of the cantis that the OP mentioned.
    Looks like I'm going to give the mini-v brakes a shot. I guess I'll go with the TRP cx line. I'm building up a spec. tricross s-works and I'm not sure if I'll use shimano or sram ( I'll decide it the next few days ) does the cx9 really work better with shimano over sram ?
    Who makes a $20. mini-v ??
    Thx for all the help, this is getting fun !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like I'm going to give the mini-v brakes a shot. I guess I'll go with the TRP cx line. I'm building up a spec. tricross s-works and I'm not sure if I'll use shimano or sram ( I'll decide it the next few days ) does the cx9 really work better with shimano over sram ?
    Who makes a $20. mini-v ??
    Thx for all the help, this is getting fun !!
    Less than $20/wheel:

Tektro RX5 Mini V Brake Caliper for Front or Rear

Get some better pads/inserts, and some inline adjusters (or noodles with built-in barrels) and you're good to go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Less than $20/wheel:

Tektro RX5 Mini V Brake Caliper for Front or Rear

Get some better pads/inserts, and some inline adjusters (or noodles with built-in barrels) and you're good to go.
    I think I'll just go for the TRP cx9 as I can get them close to cost. Will there be enough clearance for a 40mm Kenda happy med tire ??
    Thx for all the help !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think I'll just go for the TRP cx9 as I can get them close to cost. Will there be enough clearance for a 40mm Kenda happy med tire ??
    Thx for all the help !!
    Clearance will depend on your brake boss' positions.

CX9s with non-Shimano levers will require that you run the pads very close to the rims, BTW.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    nice post!
    Last edited by McKay649; 08-16-2012 at 06:47 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's a Paul MiniMoto (83mm length) with a 650B x 38 tire:

Works really well with Campy levers. Not $20/wheel, however.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Here's a Paul MiniMoto (83mm length) with a 650B x 38 tire:

Works really well with Campy levers. Not $20/wheel, however.
    Wow..Those look hot, I can get them close to cost thx to a connection in the bike biz...I love paul components !!