RoadBikeReview Member

Carbon or Ti for Cyclocross?

I have been contemplating on getting a cyclocross bike some time in the future but am torn between carbon or ti. So which would be better? Is it all a matter of preference? What do y'all prefer?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    i have a nice carbon bike and it is well designed and light. The new BB30 bottom bracket standard is rubbish and the internal headset is full of dirt after I replaced it a month ago. The one advantage of a ti frame might be the ability to avoid some of these new "innovations" and build up a light but durable bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jroden View Post
    i have a nice carbon bike and it is well designed and light. The new BB30 bottom bracket standard is rubbish and the internal headset is full of dirt after I replaced it a month ago. The one advantage of a ti frame might be the ability to avoid some of these new "innovations" and build up a light but durable bike.
    Ti was what I was opting for in regards to a cyclocross bike. Right now it seems the better option. Thanks for that insight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    if you get one built custom you can get the features you like. For me, that would be low bottom bracket, RD cable under bottom bracket and a chain hanger and pump peg. Disc mounts too I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I race a custom Ti and Carbon bike. If money was not option, custom Ti is the way to go.

First one home gets beer
    I've ridden both steel and Ti, and I love the feel of Ti. My steel bike is great and there is no reason to replace it.

Which means I want another Ti one.

Railing the Berm of Life
    You can ride that Ti bike for the rest of your life. But for a bare bones race machine, I would choose carbon.
    Dirt is good for the soul