RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

clincher wheelset for racing

I trashed the front hub on my wheelset. It is a Cane Creek Aero head laced to a cane Creek hub. I cannot source parts for the hub, so I'm looking to replace the whole wheel. I have gone back and forth between clincher and tubular and I have ultimately decided to stay with clincher because I will only have one wheel set and it seems like too much of a risk to run tubulars given the real possibility of punctures. If anyone has a counter-argument, I would love to hear it.

A thread on MTBR listed two possibilities for clincher rim choices: Velocity A23 and Mavic Open Pro. Are there other options?

Keep in mind I will race at about 185 this year. These will be only for cyclocross racing and training. Part of that training happens on trails with minor roots and rocks. I use cantis and probably will for a while. My tires this year will probably be Michelin Mud 2.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    A23 32x3 ftw! You can run Mud 2 tubeless with a Stan's 29er rim strip, if you want. Or with tubes. Great plan.

Online Wheel Builder
    There are a ton of choices out there. The A23 may be a good option. I really don't think that the Open Pro is even in the same category as the Velocity though. You could always look at the Kinlin XR270 or Stans 400 as well. Either of those laced to a White Industries hub would be reasonably priced and rigid enough for your weight.

-Roland

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    A23s are a fine choice. The wider rim really feels better with clinchers, and lets you use lower pressures for less rolling resistance. BE SURE TO USE LATEX TUBES. And consider a more supple tire like the Challenge Grifo (not as durable as the M2s, though).

RoadBikeReview Member
    MTBer1st,

I don't have enough posts yet to send you a PM so this one is out in the open:

Random question- did your CC Aerohead hubs have large diameter dust caps that also act as hub width spacers? I recently acquired an Aerohead front wheel and I am missing one of the dust caps. CC no longer makes spare parts for these hubs. Would you be willing to sell your dust caps, if in fact your hub had them?

I realize I could rig it by using some washers to space out the hub width properly, but I figured it was worth asking since your hub is trashed...

Thanks a lot,

Kevin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I'm glad to read this, I think I'm going to get a set of A23's laced to 105's here soon. I have a set of the grifo open tubulars and they ride great, I am having issues with the tread coming off a little though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    I am having issues with the tread coming off a little though.
    I've seen that too. For what it's worth, you can glue the tread back down with tubular or patch glue if you'd like. At the same time, the delamination doesn't seem to affect much unless it's really severe.

Also, the one time I had quite a bit of that was after running Grifos in a long gravel race with higher-than-normal psi (40/45). Next time I'll use Mud2s for gravel.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    any 32 hole box section or semi-aero rim is fine.

You can save some money with the kinlin instead of mavics, but they aren't as wide as the velocity.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!