Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Considering a Niner RLT for my switch to geared CX- Anyone racing one of these?

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  sslos 
#1 ·
I've been racing SSCX for a long time now, but age is catching up with me. I'm seriously considering going to gears this fall.
A coworker is offering me his RLT to test ride, so I'll get a feel for the bike overall over the next week or so. I'd love to hear any experiences between the tape.

I know, I know- the BSB is a race-ready beast, and if I was serious about being anything other than a midpack nobody, I'd pony up for one.

Truth is, the price difference has me leaning towards the RLT, but wondering how it fares on a CX course.

Sooo, whaddya got?

Los

#3 ·
Damn you and your logic.
I've been justifying my cheapness by telling myself that the RLT is more versatile than the BSB, that a 44 year old never-was doesn't need a high zoot carbon CX bike, that I should be strong/fast/skilled enough to make up the difference.
I'd probably be happier with the BSB, but not sure if I can overcome my genetic Cuban penny pinching.
I'm a mid pack finisher (35+ Open) now on a SSCX (All-City Nature Boy Zona,) so almost any geared bike would probably get me higher placed finishes.
Honestly, I feel like I've never really given myself the opportunity to give it 100%. I may actually try and take away a few of my default excuses this season.

Los

#5 ·
Good points there. regardless of the bike I choose, I'll be building up a set of race wheels anyway.
The versatility of the RLT has me leaning that way- we really only have 12-15 races here, but we have 120+ miles of trails in the foothills and plenty of dirt roads that are rideable most of the year. Room for a super fat CX/ narrowish 29" tire would open up a lot of the riding I normally do on my MTB.

Los

#6 ·
I just built up an RLT9 a few months back (cool mint color scheme). It's more stable and and just as responsive as my last build that I was relatively competitive on when I last raced CX. Relative meaning I podiumed for the season in the beginners classification with minimal time spent training. I feel I'll do better this year when I get back into it thanks to the added stability and addition of disc brakes, everything else being equal.
And yes, for trail riding it's TONS of fun. I built up two set of wheels for it, a wide 9'r based rim for tubeless CX tires, and a semi deep (35mm) 25mm wide set for everyday gravel grinding, Vittoria Paves or Challenge Strada Bianca. I find myself riding this more than my 2015 S-Work Tarmac, it's just plain fun to ride and it gets way more attention on the road too.

#7 ·
Two questions: How serious are you about racing? And why are you limiting yourself to a Niner? Keep in mind that the RLT has very relaxed geometry that won't turn and accelerate as responsively as a race machine. It might not make you any slower, but it will feel slower on a cyclocross course.

If you race casually and are more interested in mixed surface riding, the RLT will work fine. However, if you are serious about racing, something with more of a cyclocross race geometry will suit you better. If the BSB is out of your price range, look at other brands for a race bike that's cheaper.

#9 ·
That's the "problem." I've decided to go for it this season. My concerns about the RLT are that the "edge" won't be there.
I'm somewhat limited by the lines that we carry in our shop. We carry Specialized and Cannondale as well- I guess I wanted something slightly less common...

Los

#8 ·
I have a friend who has the RLT. He bought it for gravel riding, which is, ostensibly it's raison d'etre. He ditched it almost immediately- too heavy, too sluggish (compared to his Raleigh RXC Pro Disc).
So I'd say if you like the RLT for it's versatility, you might be okay. If you buy it thinking it will perform as well as the BSB in CX races, you will be disappointed.

#16 ·
I have a friend who has the RLT. He bought it for gravel riding, which is, ostensibly it's raison d'etre. He ditched it almost immediately- too heavy, too sluggish (compared to his Raleigh RXC Pro Disc).
Curious what version he got and what it weighed in at?

#14 ·
Got a pretty solid ride on the CruX. Even though it was a touch small (54cm,) I really liked the handling and ride quality. Definitely leaning that direction, but wishing I could get an aluminum CruX with canti bosses.

Los

#17 ·
Just finished my second ride on my new '16 E5 X1. Lots of fastest times on 2 of my regular training courses. I feel like I can really haul, and I think this is gonna be a ridiculously good race bike for me.
So far, it's stock besides swapping tires for a 2bliss Terra/Trigger (tubeless, of course,,) and a SRAM S500 crank/42t Wolf Tooth ring. 20.5 lbs., should be considerably lighter once I switch to S-Works carbon cranks, race wheels, Zipp bars, and Thompson post.
Very happy with this decision.

Los

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.