RoadBikeReview Member

Conti Twister Pro cross tires....how are these?

I see these tires on sale for about $20 right now. How are these tires as cross tires? Are they worth it?
    I have used the twisters on a MTB tire and thought they were pretty good tires, definately were fast and offered a lot more traction than they look like they would have.

Buy or skip (would used as a dry race tire and not on muddy days)

KMan

Is not a clown car
    Conti's have always had great rubber compounds for my taste. I haven't ridden these either, so I'd like to know too. I imagine they're pretty nice.

RoadBikeReview Member

I use them

Seems pretty stable in dry conditions but unsure on muddy situations. Overall I will use them again and I will take advantage of that $ 19.99 sale at Performance before it runs out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Something strange there. Performance lists them at 37c which is way HUGE for a racing tire. That's usually the absolute max size you can fit between chainstays on most cross bikes in fact. This tire normally is only 32c size. Is this a misprint by Performance, or is it a larger size that they are trying to get rid of, thus the lower price?

RoadBikeReview Member

The size listed is correct.

That's the size listed on the sidewalls.It actually looks like a 38c and it barely clears my frame but I am not really worried about.

rjw
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave K
    Something strange there. Performance lists them at 37c which is way HUGE for a racing tire. That's usually the absolute max size you can fit between chainstays on most cross bikes in fact. This tire normally is only 32c size. Is this a misprint by Performance, or is it a larger size that they are trying to get rid of, thus the lower price?
    They come in 32c, 37c, and 42c.

The 37c fit my Trek XO with plenty of clearance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigtire
    That's the size listed on the sidewalls.It actually looks like a 38c and it barely clears my frame but I am not really worried about.
    In that case, I'd say this is less of a racing tire, except for the roughest of courses, and more a general purpose off road tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

They run SMALL!

[37mm on sidewall, 32 to 33mm measured with calipers at 3 bar. Nice tires for the rest!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

I use the 32's on my Pinarello...

very nice, very fast on dry conditions (I have other things for mud) but they are incredibly heavy tires...something like 470 g for the 32's, and if iyour rims are just a little big, they are difficult to mount (incredibly strong and tight bead). I bought mine on sale locally for about that price and haven't regretted the purchase.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Great tire!

I have the 700x32 (really more like 28-30mm wide). Rolls almost like a slick on pavement, but has great grip on everything from pavement to gravel to slick mud. I should disclose that I've only used it as a rear tire, so I don't know how it works up front - and I've heard that the MTB version can be sketchy as a front tire, so caveat emptor.

Mine is harder than most tires to mount, too. For some reason, every wire-bead Conti I've owned has a very tight bead, whereas every Kevlar-bead Conti I've had is ridiculously loose. Not a big deal for most people, but could be an issue if you also have rims that are hard to mount up, like Suns for example. The Sun-Conti combo can be quite difficult.

Other negative is that it's pretty heavy. Mine's about 450g, which seems excessive to me for a tire of this width, even with a wire bead. I still put up with it because it's such a great tire otherwise.