Carbon Fiber = Explode!

Crank Bros. Cobalt Wheelset?

So I was thinking about custom building a Deep V/Chris King ISO wheelset...

But... then I saw the Cobalt 29er set for about 600 bucks which is... much cheaper.

At 622 can I fit regular cross tires on this wheelset? I'm currently using the Mud2
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Since its an MTB wheel, will the hub spacing work on a cross bike?

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Yes, I have a voodoo frame which has disc tabs and a hybrid road/mtb spacing in the back of 132.5mm
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF View Post
    Yes, I have a voodoo frame which has disc tabs and a hybrid road/mtb spacing in the back of 132.5mm
    yes, BUT, if you have a road crank, something won't be exactly right with shifting. I'm running a Stylo 1:1 crank with an MRP 1.x guide, using 130mm spaced wheels on my Soma Double Cross (also 132.5) - it doesn't play nice with the upper end of the cassette. Going to put my Rival crankset on there shortly.
    I like dirt.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    It'll shift fine. I have a Salsa LC w/132.5 spacing. I've run it SS, 1x9, 1x10, and 2x10...all with Ultegra SL cranks. I never had an issue with shifting.

The Cobalt wheels will be fine...
    formerly "backinthesaddle"

Strava is Latin for 'bench-racing"

tmb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Stans Crest 29 is lighter and cheaper, 1575g and $530 retail.

jrm
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Im going to suggest

A23s, laced to DT 350 hubs. it will cost way less then $600. As long as the tire is wider then the rim your OK.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    It'll shift fine. I have a Salsa LC w/132.5 spacing. I've run it SS, 1x9, 1x10, and 2x10...all with Ultegra SL cranks. I never had an issue with shifting.

The Cobalt wheels will be fine...
    You ran all those configurations with a 135mm spaced rear hub? I'm talking about an MTB spaced crank not working with a 130mm spaced rear wheel in a 1x10 situation - chain line doesn't match well hence problems on the upper end of the cassette. Same would happen with road cranks on a 135mm wheel, except on the lower end. Not a problem if you have double and only use certain parts of the cassette with each chain ring.
    I like dirt.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    You ran all those configurations with a 135mm spaced rear hub? I'm talking about an MTB spaced crank not working with a 130mm spaced rear wheel in a 1x10 situation - chain line doesn't match well hence problems on the upper end of the cassette. Same would happen with road cranks on a 135mm wheel, except on the lower end. Not a problem if you have double and only use certain parts of the cassette with each chain ring.
    Nope...never a 135. Always 130mm rear hubs. And I had a brainfart. The frame is 135mm spaced. Never had an issue with any configuration.
    formerly "backinthesaddle"

Strava is Latin for 'bench-racing"

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Nope...never a 135. Always 130mm rear hubs. And I had a brainfart. The frame is 135mm spaced. Never had an issue with any configuration.
    Yes, because you used 130mm hub and a road bike crankset. Mixing a 135mm hub with road crank, or 130mm hub and MTB crank will cause some issues, regardless of the 132.5 spacing, which is what my Soma DoubleCross has IIRC.
    I like dirt.....