RoadBikeReview Member

Cross stories 11-17/11-18

Ok bc there is no thread for it yet I'll lead us out. 3rd race of the year for me and the course was interesting no technical sections almost at all, other then a nice mix of off chamber loose dirt turns. There was a lot of power sections almost no flat sections either after I pre-rode I knew it was going to be a grind soft race surface that just sucked speed, one dismount into a sand hill that was run up section in the middles along with a couple quick steep up hills just after sharp turns that called for power.

Racing B's in our local series. Started on the line bc one of the 5 five point guys gave up his spot bc "you have crazy written on you today." made me smile and there was the points leader racing A's, having the points series rapped up. Took off fast bc I didn't want to be stuck in traffic for the first chunk, I had my eyes set on a top 3 finish. The one mistake I made is that I thought I could cut between two trees but there was tape lost a couple positions fixing that. Got settled in and got back out front and just rode hard didn't look back till midway through lap two and there where two guys on mountain bikes latched on to my wheel. Was using the front section to try to recover then was hammering the back long straight aways but never was able to put a gap on the other two until we would hit the grass section into the barriers that led to the gradual uphill slug to the finish. last lap cam around still out front joined by the two mountain bikes I figured if they where going to pass they where going to have to do it the hard way, wasn't going to block but I wasn't going to make it easy. Came up to the last grass section and just went for broke, slammed the grass and nailed barriers opened whatever i had left in the taps for the soul sucking finish climb. Looked mid way up the climb knew I had it in the bag but couldn't let myself let up. first three guys finished within 20secs of each other then there was almost a minute gap back to fourth. First win of any kind in cycling was stoked and the body was screaming but damn was it fun. Led almost line to line, the whole time kept thinking someone was going to accelerate around me and just be gone but I was able to match the challenges that they put out there.
    Now enough of my long poorly written race re-cap now lets hear about your triumphs and tribulations this racing weekend.
    This is gunna be interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by BentChainring
    "Friendo, I have learned one thing in acquiring wisdom. Its heavy, and it makes my back hurt. Please pass the pitcher!"

Game on, b*tches!
    Kutztown Cross day 2. Masters 45+ 1-4. Had no idea what to expect since I've never done this race before. It was at an antiques/farmers mkt on the grounds there. Flat. Really flat. Some elevation gain but minimal. Lots of turns though to make it interesting. Got a pre ride in and decided to go with the files; some wet areas but not muddy. Good choice. We went off about 1 minute after the 35+ group. Got a good start and was at the back of the main group for a while. After about 1/2 lap or so settled in with a group or about 6 riders. Man, was this course fast. Drafting was doable and helped. On the 2nd time over the 1st set of barriers (which were about 2 inches too high) I tripped and went down. Was able to get back on fairly quickly. It seemed each lap was faster; you started to find the good lines and could really hammer. Killingsworth was there to heckle me. Appreciated it. I think. With 2 ? laps to go (we did 5) the 55+ passed me before the 1st set of barriers. I was staying with him and when we got through one of the twisty sections he started to slow me down. i didn't want to lose that group so I took an inside line on 1 of the 180's an caught his rear wheel and went down, unlatching my left shoe buckle, so i had to fix that. Group is now gone, so I rode like a mad man to catch back up. Wound up catching a cross results victim/nemesis on the last lap and almost caught another 1 of the group. That little crash probably cost me 4 places or more. oh well, that's cross. 21st out of 32 riders in a pretty strong field. I gave the spectators a show as my right leg warmer became undone, leaving my rt knee bare. I kept hearing "hot knee!" lol. Really fun, really fast race. A guy I know won, so cudos to Kelly.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Old, slow, and fat.
    I didn't race anyone but myself. The [whining]Its too far![/whining] attitude came upon to me for the race just outside B-more yesterday. ...so I rode my sorry rear end over to my local park and did a coupla 3-lap efforts.

I tested out my new Tufo Dry 32 tire and amazingly enough, I had plenty of traction in the off again/on again damp grass. Only place it really didn't like things was the mud hole I had to ride thru. ...but that's outside the tire's scope of traction, so I wasn't worried about it.

So I think I'll get another one for the multi-surface rides I do and wear em both out thru the summer. I'll get something like a Grifo XS or Clement LAS for next fall.

[embarrassed] I haven't cleaned my bike from yesterday.[/embarrassed] I hosed it off, but its still filthy. Gotta get on that.

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Rockburn Cross!

Took two juniors and one Lil Belgian out Saturday for course setup; installed about a hundred stakes and many kilometers of tape. I figure that it's close enough to us that we should "give back" a bit and do some setup work, so we volunteered there (and Schooley the week prior). We ran out of red tape, so I pulled out a roll from my private stash and used it.

Then on race day, Junior #1 got a top three in race #1 and middle-pack on race #2; he loves being able to beat a pile of kids who are three to five years older than him.

But at the start of the Cat 3/4 35/45, I'm near the official's tent getting ready to run some results up, and see a guy walking his bike from the starting line with a broken chain. Since he looked about my size, I asked him if he wanted my bike; he noticed that we have the same pedals and said yes, so we met at the pits and I gave it to him. Of course he got last place, but that was better than a DNF.

Just call me Mr. Pit Bike; happy to loan mine to pretty much anybody since I'm not racing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Rockburn cross. brought my son for his intro back into cross since last season....and well....so he could ride the skills park too

quite pleased with his results, he finished 12 out of 21. wasn't really sure where he'd end up, last year he was a end of the pack finisher. He said he'd do Ed sanders next. Sweet!!

my race went pretty good too considering I woke up with a bad stomach. took me nearly 20min to down a bowl of cereal and nearly the hour drive to down a banana. good thing I stayed hydrated.

so considering I hadn't fueled up like I normally do before a race I did ok. finished 48 out of 80 something. I don't get it though. you look at bike reg and there were 111 entries. where the hell was everyone?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Sunday's Alpha Cross in Centennial, CO. A bit on the warm side and bright sun. Almost all grass with 2 sand vb courts. The first coming down a good size hill with a ramp into teh sand. 1st lap hit the jump and at some point during (I think) the takeoff and landing my right shifter decided to break. Realized I could not shift into my smaller cogs so I was stuck in my 2nd to biggest cog. Day over. Stopped but could not figure out the issue so decided to keep going as it was only the start of lap 2. Spun like a mad man on the flats and hills, coasted the downhills. Still passed a few people but place went from a potential mid/low teens to high thirty's.
    Need to figure out tonight what to do as I want to race on Saturday.

Game on, b*tches!
    Quote Originally Posted by c-lo View Post
    where the hell was everyone?
    This seems to be happening a lot this year in MABRA. If I paid for a race you can be damned sure I'm going to show unless I'm really sick.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Every ride is a race
    Race #10 in the Utah Cyclocross series at the Weber County Fairgrounds outside of Salt Lake. Got up bright and early at 630 to start the 2 hour drive down; I race the first race at 930 so I get to see the sunrise almost every Saturday. Course was super fast but long; 1.9 miles. 1 set of barriers, 3 logs (2 of which could be hopped) and a 2 foot drop off that could be jumped if confidence and skill was high enough (I definitely ran it). 1 long straight away on a horse racetrack and then a few loose-rock road sections as well. Super fun. I started at the back of the men's C field. Fast start to a 180 degree turn into the barriers that allowed us to be 2 wide. After the funnel it opened up and I could pass some more people. Felt good the whole race and kept picking people off. Since the laps were so long (about 10 minutes a lap) we only did 4. I figured out on the 4th lap that I should've left something in the tank for the final lap. I'll definitely learn from that little mistake; luckily it only cost me one spot. Finished 10th out of 25. Not my best race but better than last race, so I'm happy with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Forestry Complex in Fredericton, NB, Canada. Course was fast with sweeping corners, a short technical section, and a spiral of death.

Conditions were challenging. Race started off with frozen bumpy ground, so under-inflated tubulars had the upper hand. But as the race when on, the combination of thaw and traffic made the corners very very slick - just a thin layer of mud and moisture. My Vittoria XG's were struggling (classic Grifo-like tread). First two laps I didn't touch the brakes, but by the end I was slowing heavily into the corners or trying to go wide to avoid the slick apexes.

Ended up 4th in a field of 65. Very happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Didn't race because of the race fee. instead, I volunteered to be the course marshal for the Canadian National Championship. Gotta give back to the community.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    JingleCross

This was my first CX race. A buddy of mine signed up so I decided to give it a try. I've spent the past two years in professional school and haven't ridden much, plus I was racing on a mtn bike (a wicked cool and fairly lightweight mtn. bike, though) so I didn't have high expectations for placing well. I also partied somewhat hard fri. night and didn't really train at all for the race.

I'm pleased to report, however, that I had a great time!

I raced with a few buddies and we set up shop in the parking lot about 8:30 (cat 4 race at 9:30). We had a Pinarello on rollers which we used to warm up. And by "warm up" I mean that we each sat on it for about 5 minutes. Once we staged for the race, I made some hilarious comments to the field in general and then took off. I felt pretty good for the first lap and was probably somewhere in the top half/middle third. But then I realized I had been racing for only 15 minutes and slowed down.

The next 25 minutes were kind of a blur. The field stretched out and I spent much of the time riding by myself. The course was a lot of fun but was really wet. I went down only once but caught myself several others times so I was pretty tentative in corners. I thought that having a mtn bike would help me in the technical sections but I found that in mud the bike tended to slide around on top instead of biting down into the more solid ground underneath. I'm somewhat used to riding in snow and it seemed a lot like that (ie, my 35Cs bite down while my 26"x2.1s tend to "float" and slide around).

When I crossed the finish line, I looked around and had no idea what to do...I thought that was kinda funny. But then I saw an opening in the tape and figured that was my exit.

It was pretty quickly apparent that i'm not in great shape. The riding itself wasn't terrible but I was exhausted by the runups. I'll definitely do more running for training if I do more CX racing. I was pleased, however, by my dismounts and remounts. I didn't really practice a lot but I felt pretty good about em on race day.

Overall, I placed 47th out of about 60. Objectively, that's not very good, but considering that it was my first race, and my lack of prep and riding in general, I'm pretty pleased that I managed to beat a few people.

After the race, we sat around, had some beers, and watched the faster races. What a great day and I look forward to racing again!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I designed the course for the Canadian Nationals Champs this weekend and was responsible for all the event set-up, while I toed the line on both days it would be a stretch to say that I raced because the effort leading up to the race simply drained me. I wish I had a GPS on me for Friday so that I could of tracked how far I walked.

At nationals it was 10 degrees, calm and cloudy with a dry fast course ahead of us that we all had 2 days to pre-ride, literally 60 seconds before the start the wind picked up and the rained came down fast and furious, it completely changed the conditions. I had a front row start and rode with the front group until the road climb ending lap 2 where I started to fade and just got picked off one by one. No matter how deep I dug I just could not hold the wheels in front of me. I ended up 28 out of 37 in the Masters 30-39 category.

At the GP I felt pretty good during my warm-up. I had a second row start, moved up to 4th going over the barriers and held that spot until the long gravel climb where I completley melted down and began to cramp, I knew it was going to be a long day because I was only on the first lap. I have never, never, never suffered that much before in a CX race, I finished 29 out of 39 in the Mast B category, considering I was 5th the weekend before against much of the same field it was not a good performance. The 4 percent incline of the 200m long gravel climb broke me down to 39/25 and I could barely make the pedals go around.

I learned something though, because I have not pushed myself to this level of pain on a good day, it will be interesting to see if I can recover fully for the next race and push it that hard with good legs and some gas in the tank.

Here are some links to photos of the race:
    http://www.facebook.com/RockyMountai...untainBicycles
    Canadian Cyclist - Photo Galleries
    Canadian Cyclist - Photo Galleries
    Canadian CX National & BC GP of Cross '12 - a set on Flickr
    http://www.cxmagazine.com/canadian-d...-gp-cyclocross
    International Sales
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles

My current rides
    2012 Proto Carbon Disc, 2010 Custom Solo CXR Team, 2009 Solo 70RSL.