now in philadelphia
    Nov 2007

CX Clincher Wheelset for Disc with 130 rear spacing.

Any suggestions for any off the self or custom wheels for my cross bike? Disc compatible with 130 rear spacing. 700c.

Industry 9 seems to have a nice one for about $1K intended for for MTB 29'er bikes but it only weighs 1500 grams. Beyond that and the carbon Reynold Topo Disc ($1700), I have not seen too much for lightweight wheels needing disc.

thanks in advance.

You call that running?
    Not high end, but FSA rd-460 or Mavic Speedcity are the only ones I know about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    another option - run "hybrid" brakes. Canti rear with disk front as 100mm disk front hubs are very easy to find.

p != b
    Quote Originally Posted by MIN in PDX
    carbon Reynold Topo Disc ($1700)
    I'm pretty certain these wheels are neither 700c or 130mm. (yes, they make a 26" carbon mtb tubular... it's pretty weird atmo)
    I love the sound of cowbell in the morning.

now in philadelphia
    Nov 2007
    Look here for the 29er version. I think I can reasonable cold space my steel frame to fit 135 spacing now that I think of it.

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...=360&brand=203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Any hub with a thread on axle can have the spaceing changed, which includes Shimano!
    I am pretty sure that all DT are to, but you have to get the smaller axel nut and re-dish it if its already been built.
    If your beer isn't Belgian you ain't racin' 'Cross!

pedal faster!
    You can build a set using Chris King hubs. Use a standard ISO Disc hub for the front. For the rear, you have to order a Universal Disc Hub built with 130 spacing, and the 8mm disc adapter for it. I built a set recently with Mavic Open Pro rims, butted spokes, and aluminum nips. They weighed in at 1750g, and fit perfectly in the Poprad Disc Frame. It'll probably set you back $750-800.

pi makes wheels go round
    Quote Originally Posted by surfamtn
    Any hub with a thread on axle can have the spaceing changed, which includes Shimano!
    I am pretty sure that all DT are to, but you have to get the smaller axel nut and re-dish it if its already been built.
    Sorry, but that doesn't work for disks because it puts your rotor 5mm too far outboard. You'd have to space your caliper out, too, and that just sounds dodgy...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by damon
    Sorry, but that doesn't work for disks because it puts your rotor 5mm too far outboard. You'd have to space your caliper out, too, and that just sounds dodgy...
    Not necesarily.
    First off you culd split the diff over both sides, 2.5mm each side, wich is how my Redline with XT disc hubs ran last year. Or you could just space the drive side and adjust the derailure.

Then you could always respace the frame.

But it somebody's hellbent on spending 1k on wheels just to have disks, then who am I to stop them.
    If your beer isn't Belgian you ain't racin' 'Cross!

pi makes wheels go round
    Not necesarily.
    I'll be the first to admit if there is a will there is a way (heck, the front disk wheel on my commuter is an old thread-on rear wheel with a rotor adaptor). I'm just saying the "right way" is not to re-space a 135mm hub. I'm a little surprised you had even 2.5mm of clearance for your redline, and i'd bet good money most people don't have 5mm.

nice to hear you got the XT hub to work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I have the RD 460s. They are okay. I think speedgoat still has the Cane Creek Strados Disc wheels for about 400 and I wish I'd bought those instead.

I think the Mavic Speedcity is 135mm spacing.

I did cram a 135 spaced lx hub into my Conquest Pro at one point without any issues with lining up the Avid caliper.

now in philadelphia
    Nov 2007
    Not necesarily.
    First off you culd split the diff over both sides, 2.5mm each side, wich is how my Redline with XT disc hubs ran last year. Or you could just space the drive side and adjust the derailure.

Then you could always respace the frame.

But it somebody's hellbent on spending 1k on wheels just to have disks, then who am I to stop them.
    This is going on a Poprad disc which already has discs. I am looking for a second set of wheels and I was considering CK, which another member had mentioned.

now in philadelphia
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hell_on_wheels
    You can build a set using Chris King hubs. Use a standard ISO Disc hub for the front. For the rear, you have to order a Universal Disc Hub built with 130 spacing, and the 8mm disc adapter for it. I built a set recently with Mavic Open Pro rims, butted spokes, and aluminum nips. They weighed in at 1750g, and fit perfectly in the Poprad Disc Frame. It'll probably set you back $750-800.

Thanks for the info. I was considering this route, how many spokes did you go with for that weight? Do you have a photo?

pedal faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by MIN in PDX
    Thanks for the info. I was considering this route, how many spokes did you go with for that weight? Do you have a photo?
    That weight is with 32 spokes. I think you can go 28, but I'm not sure.

pedal faster!
    Has anybody actually weighed their RD 460's? I'm curious because I've seen published weights of 1650, and 1840 g, and wondered which was more accurate.