RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Cyclocross Belgium - Namur

I am currently backpacking around Europe for the last two months and leaving on Oct 11. I am a big cyclocross fan and just realized that the race in Namer is taking place on the 10th. I miss my bike too much after 2 months out of the saddle to pass up seeing a Belgian cyclocross race!

The ticket presale is over but apparently you can buy tickets at the venue. Does anyone know how likely it is to sell out? Or do they just sell as many as they can.

Any suggestions or tips would be awesome!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    It won't sell out.....it was around 6 Euro at the gate.
    The race is held at the Citadel....which is spectacular. I lived in Namur in the 70's. Take the time to see the city and the Citadel.
    It is a GVA race...so the cream of the Belgian crop will be there.I don't know who else is contracted to do this series this year...but you will see some great races.
    The Junior race at 11 am can be pretty exciting right through to the pro's at 3.....plan to make a day of it.Spend the day hiking around the course...it is not a "stand in 1 place and see everything" venue.It is very hilly.
    Just go...
    Last edited by the mayor; 10-01-2009 at 05:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Awesome, thanks for the tips! I am definitely going to try to make it out. I hope it is not too hard to get from Frankfurt to Namen. I am thinking there is probbaly a train I can use my Eurail pass on to take from Frankfurt to Brussels and down to Namen, or from Frankfurt to Leige and then to Namen. I am super excited to go, the fact that non-cyclists are even aware of what cyclocross is, is mind blowing (coming from Canada).

Can't wait!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    The Citadel is an amazing site.They had World Championship motocross there until last year. This is the first cross there. It will be brutal.
    The train station is on the other side of the river if I remember right. Find a place to stay in town and hike up the hill(with a few thousand of your closest friends)...or take the bus.
    It will be bigger than anything you'll see on this side of the Atlantic. Because it is in the city, they will get 5-15K spectators...some of which will never leave the beer tent.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    cool !

But I can't go

the first Swiss season race is on Oct 11 in Fehraltorf hier in Zürich and I am already commited to go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

known masher

Take many pics and videos! Please!

Hey nspace,
    Good to see ya didn't retire from riding. I was beginning to think your knees blew up and ya auctioned off your SWEET selection of SS's.

Sounds like one heck of a great way to finish off your trip!

Please take many pics and post 'em on your flicker account for us all to drool over. A little video or two wold be cool as well. But make sure to "Ham it up" a bit and show us how much fun your having in the video.

Looks like you'll be back in time to catch the Toronto International CX races. Then you can compare the caliber and atmosphere of our races and the Euros.

Have a blast!

See ya L8r!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Looking forward to watch this cross on Belgium television

first big cyclocross in the french speaking part of Belgium. The track is something special with the big climb, maybe more like a MTB- track.

more info:
    http://www.sport.be/cyclocrossnamur/...raktischeinfo/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    results of the cross in Namur

1 niels albert
    2 sven nys
    3 zdenek stybar
    4 klaas vantornout
    5 bart aernouts

13 page

today I saw a very hard cross on television ( I am from Belgium) on an interval track. avg only 22 km/h..

also very big time gaps @ the finish nys on 40 s and stybar on 2 min..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    nys going over the bars with 3? to go made me yell "oh" in the office.