Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

cyclocross bike as only bike

was wondering who else just has there cross bike?i only have my cx bike and a couple set's of wheels so it works.i have about $1000 extra cash,was thinking of buying a used road bike.but also thought of selling my current cx bike and then buying a top of the line used cx bike.any ideas??? sorry to much free time on my hands.

Game on, b*tches!
    If you're only going to have 1 bike a cross bike is the one to have. Maybe upgrade your crosser, depending on what you have.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    I have just a CX bike as my only bike right now. I sold/parted out my road bike and put a little extra cash into my CX bike for some "upgrades." I will be racing road with it this year as well (Cat 4 road).

I do have disc brakes so I'm sure it will stand out like a sore thumb. But on a positive note, the group will be more likely to let me go off the front "being the weird guy on a CX bike with disc brakes."

I have 3 sets of wheels that I rotate through depending on what riding I'm doing.

IMO, and as an anonymous individual giving advice, just pocket the cash. A new CX bike won't make you faster at CX and a road bike won't make you faster than a CX bike with road tires (assuming gearing is fairly comparable).

That would be the reasonable thing to do, but we always don't make the reasonable choice. I know I don't.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by noavg55 View Post
    thinking of buying a used road bike
    Timely thread. I just picked up my first cross bike yesterday and plan on using it as my road bike as well. Going to be putting my road bike up for sale. What you thinking about buying?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    ive thought about this ever since i sold my steel indy fab planet cross in '03 (to buy a sweet santa cruz mtn bike for a trip to whistler). that IF cross bike w road wheels was as fast and lively on the road as most of the road bikes ive ever had. ive wished i had kept the IF and sold other stuff instead.

to those whose road bike is their cross bike, do you feel hindered by having a 46 or 48 tooth ring as your big ring?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LanterneRouge14 View Post
    ive thought about this ever since i sold my steel indy fab planet cross in '03 (to buy a sweet santa cruz mtn bike for a trip to whistler). that IF cross bike w road wheels was as fast and lively on the road as most of the road bikes ive ever had. ive wished i had kept the IF and sold other stuff instead.

to those whose road bike is their cross bike, do you feel hindered by having a 46 or 48 tooth ring as your big ring?
    My intention is to run a 50-36 on the front and have a 11-23 cassette on my road wheel That should not hamper me at all on the road- my cross and commuter/gravel wheels will likely have a 12-26

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    I have just a CX bike as my only bike right now. I sold/parted out my road bike and put a little extra cash into my CX bike for some "upgrades." I will be racing road with it this year as well (Cat 4 road).
    the most recent issue of bicycling has an article on disk brakes for road bikes, pros and cons - they will be coming soon, apparently.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Kona Jake the Snake with road tires [25's] is my only bike. I love it.

Ride a bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCJek View Post
    Kona Jake the Snake with road tires [25's] is my only bike. I love it.
    I bought a Kona Zing road bike for training. I should of just bought a second wheelset with road tires for my Jake the Snake. The JTS rides awesome with road tires.

-Cheers.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LanterneRouge14 View Post
    When I had a 48 big ring, I also had a 11 small ring on the rear. I never felt like I had a problem with that set-up. Currently, I have a 50 big ring and a 12 small ring on the rear and it kind of bothers me a little.

I do have 3 cranks right now that I'll switch in and out just because I like to tinker. The 34/50 is what I have on right now and pretty much hate it. The 34t is useless for me. I really liked the 39/48 and 39/53 with an 11/26 on the rear. (For CX I run single ring with a 11-28).

Quote Originally Posted by 55x11 View Post
    the most recent issue of bicycling has an article on disk brakes for road bikes, pros and cons - they will be coming soon, apparently.
    Very cool! Can't wait to read it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I'm thinking of doing the same. Once more bikes come out with discs brakes, I'm planning to sell my Madone for a CF cross bike with discs. I have summer and fall wheelsets. My summer wheel sets are carbon aero wheels, while the fall are aluminum wheels. I don't want to use the carbon in the fall, becuase of the wet weather, plus it's allot windier and a big disadvantage using aeros. Unfortuantely, changing wheels from carbon to aluminum also means changing the brake pads. Having discs would help me allot with that, becuase it just means I only have to change the wheelset.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

your text here
    those using cross for their road bikes are also running disc: worried about weight at all? do you build up your own wheels? thought about thinning the herd and using a cross with an extra set of wheels. but i was also thinking of ditching the disc brakes and going for min v brakes...
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Just beware, any road official who sees a disc bike lined up for a road race is going to pull you out. They aren't legal there yet.

A friend and former team mate of mine who is a great cx racer trashed his frame days before a big crit two summers ago. Riding his cx bike, he lapped the field in the crit. I'd rather use a cx bike in a road race than a road bike in a cx race, that's for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    If you have 1 CX bike and $1000 extra I would buy another CX bike versus selling your current bike and buying a top of the line bike. Having a dedicated CX race bike and a do-it-all commuter, winter trainer, road bike, pit bike etc is a good way to go. Just make sure that the geometry, rear wheel spacing, positions of the brakes and cog spacing is the same so that you can jump from bike to bike without any differences and easily swap wheels without changing brake/der set-up. If you want to use one bike as a road bike just have different tires 700 x 23 and a big ring 46/36 for CX and 50/36 for road.
    International Sales
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles

My current rides
    2012 Proto Carbon Disc, 2010 Custom Solo CXR Team, 2009 Solo 70RSL.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    those using cross for their road bikes are also running disc: worried about weight at all? do you build up your own wheels? thought about thinning the herd and using a cross with an extra set of wheels. but i was also thinking of ditching the disc brakes and going for min v brakes...

I use to be worried about weight when I was a "newb." I even built up a fairly light (~16.5 lbs) road race rig with some nice deep carbon wheels. Great bike, but overall, I wasn't really any faster on the road bike than I was on a 22 lb CX bike. In full out "race mode" my steel CX bike with discs is under 20 lbs.

I build my own wheels. Currently have training wheels - Velocity Deep Vs with Shimano Deore hubs, CX/singletrack wheels - Stans Crest to Hope Pro 2 and "Race wheels" - 38mm Carbon Tubular with Circus Monkey hubs.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    Just beware, any road official who sees a disc bike lined up for a road race is going to pull you out. They aren't legal there yet.

It is my understanding that they are legal....or at least not specifically banned. The rules only say that each wheel must have a brake, not which type of brake.

A little google searching popped up this thread on velocipedsalon....Disc brakes for USAC road racing?

That thread is only a week old.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    The UCI and all being as crystal clear as they are leaves plenty of room for doubt, but between Johan Bruyneel screaming that disc brakes need to be legalized, the fact that cross bikes were under the same rules for brakes as road bikes but needed to be explicitly cleared to use discs, plus the obvious evidence that if they were legal people would be using them and Vollagi wouldn't be the only player with that nice of a disc-specific road bike (I do really like that bike) I think it's pretty clear you are hosed for discs in road races. Velobews had some stuff on this recently. I couldn't find it in my 3 second search.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    My LBS mentioned a few times that Trek was playing around with discs on road bikes.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, get a second cross bike. The second bike as a spare is nice to have. Make the road bike the 3rd bike you get.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    My single speed Major One has been my only bike for the last 18 months. Don't even switch tyres around. Have to say that the 58 inch gear means I take every opportunity to take off road routes (which is made easy as I live in a large forest)

banned
    Dec 2011
    #16 has the best solution.
    the second best option, get the 50/34 crank, then vary the wheelsets with a 11/32 for mountains and snow. and a 11/20ish for speed that should just about take care of your cash. You'd still have a lonely bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I built up a 2012 Super X as my "one bike." I definitely dropped the ball by not running a 50 up front though, the 46 isn't quite enough. Otherwise it's awesome, and simplifies my quiver. Unfortunately I've got to sell the frameset to come up with some much needed money. Check the classifieds if any of ya'll are looking for a real nice frameset

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    If your not racing road than I would just buy a really nice cross bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    what is cyclo cross?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    If I were in your position I would put all the funds in a high end CX. I invested in a couple of wheel sets and with that I don't feel the need to have anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast