Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi, CX newbie here... Will MTB V-Brakes (Shimano XT for example) will work on CX frames?? Or it has to be cantilever brakes only?? Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    The brakes will work on the frame.

The compatibility problem is with road brake levers. If you're racing a geared bike, you need to use a travel agent or similar device, or stick with cantilevers.

If you're racing a singlespeed, there are a few road brake levers available that pull the right amount of cable for a V-brake.

There are also mini-Vs, which I don't know anything about - someone else can field that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Solution for brake shudder

I replaced my cantis with TRP linear pulls. No more shudder and they do look great. My shudder with the cantis was so bad I could barely use the front brake anymore. Any linear pull brake will do though.
    I ride a Santa Cruz Stigmata with bicycle trailer and kid in tow

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Landing on the inside of the thigh is the trick. First time I saw someone remount, i thought they were landing on their jewels. Unfortunately I tried it that way before I knew better. Ouch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    They look cool. At the speeds cross is happening, it provides no advantage whatsoever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Go at least 2cm smaller than your road rig. Get rid of the setback post too and go with a zero setback.

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Class Question

Never raced cx so my license for this year is a 4. Race as a 2 in xc. Can I race as a 3 starting out or do I have to do all the requirements for upgrading in the 4's. Not trying to come off as a hard ass but I'm use to doing 2hr mtb races and have done a couple 60min practice cx races where my lap times stay consistent. It just seems like the 30mins that the 4's race would be not really a challenge plus I would rather race at a higher level than podium right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Also is it proper etiquette to drag you rear wheel through quick downhill off camber turns. Coming from mtb background I know this is frowned upon because it destroys the trail, can lead to loss of control of speed and line, plus the risk of burping or flatting.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Are there any good tips on dismounting? Apparently, I do all my dismounting "backwards."
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Before upgrading anything, upgrade your skills.

A guy on carbon bike with zipp 404 is useless if he doesn't know how to shoulder is bike correctly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stumiller View Post
    Never raced cx so my license for this year is a 4. Race as a 2 in xc. Can I race as a 3 starting out or do I have to do all the requirements for upgrading in the 4's. Not trying to come off as a hard ass but I'm use to doing 2hr mtb races and have done a couple 60min practice cx races where my lap times stay consistent. It just seems like the 30mins that the 4's race would be not really a challenge plus I would rather race at a higher level than podium right now.

Similar question here. Never raced before, the more I read about it and see videos the more excited I am and the more fun it looks like. But, how do you get started? Is there a NEWB category where I won't feel like I'm going to ruin someone else's fun? If not, how do you "build up" to a race?

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by daethon View Post
    Similar question here. Never raced before, the more I read about it and see videos the more excited I am and the more fun it looks like. But, how do you get started? Is there a NEWB category where I won't feel like I'm going to ruin someone else's fun? If not, how do you "build up" to a race?
    Find out about local races in your area and what sanctioning body administers those races. Most folks in the US will be under USAC but Colorado and Oregon are different. Races will typically have a category that beginners should enter and offer one-day racing licenses in addition to the race fee.

I suggest learning the basics of the dismount/mount and porting your bike. Those are pretty easy skills to master. Look into whether there are skills clinics in your area -- perhaps asking at a shop that carries cyclocross bikes? You can also troll youtube for plenty of examples and teach yourself.

If you are worried about getting in someone's way, just line up in back. Chances are you will be more competent that at least some in your race.

Bottom line is to pin on that number and try it out.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    @Gripped

Thanks! The next couple weekends I'll pick a park and just play with the remounts/dismounts. I tried working on them today but I was on a busy street and that was a little uncomfortable

Fat aging guy on a bike..
    ......._: )
    ...... \<,
    ...( )/( )

My Crappy Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    why did he use base tape on the rim? isnt there basetape on the tubular already?
    Ride More Talk Less
    - Caletti Cycles Custom Steel
    - 11 Nashbar Steel CX
    Terminal Pholocity

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    great thread here. this is my first season cross racing and I can say that so far it seems like skills and tires are the most important things. Am I correct in that assumption?

Fat aging guy on a bike..
    JSDavis, IMO (worth about as much as the keystrokes it took to type this) Fitness and the ability to do short (45mins) redline efforts is the most important. Wrong tires can potentially lose the race for you, but without fitness thats a red herring. If two equally fit riders race, the one with skills (handling, mount/dismount) will be more likely to win.
    ......._: )
    ...... \<,
    ...( )/( )

My Crappy Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cyklopath View Post
    JSDavis, IMO (worth about as much as the keystrokes it took to type this) Fitness and the ability to do short (45mins) redline efforts is the most important. Wrong tires can potentially lose the race for you, but without fitness thats a red herring. If two equally fit riders race, the one with skills (handling, mount/dismount) will be more likely to win.
    Ha ha ha. It'll be interesting to see how my first race goes. I'm a noob with no RACE experience, but plenty of biking (and bike handling) experience. The interesting fact is that I'm a very fit person. I'm actually a personal fitness trainer. I'm skilled at high intensity intervals, have a large amount of muscle, and a well tuned kinesthetic sense, but we'll see how that translates to CX racing. ;-)

my welllllll-seasoned mtb/crit/road/cx race buddy says he thinks i'll have the ability to "ride above my head", but we'll see. it'll be an interesting first race. I'm a super-competitive person, but i'm content to start at the back and stay at the back for the first race, just to see how it goes....not sayin i won't enjoy if i'm flying past people....or getting dropped. ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Crank Questions

So I am working on putting together a cross bike. I was planning on using a SRAM Force crank, double (53/39) and replacing the outer ring with a 46t chain ring, to make it a 46/39 setup. Does anybody see any issues with this? Providing I find a 130 BCD chainring to match the crank.

Second: crank arm length.
    I am 5'1l", and I spin a 172.5 crank on the road. Should I keep this the same for cross, or go up to 175mm for a little more leverage?

Thanks for the input!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ringman View Post
    So I am working on putting together a cross bike. I was planning on using a SRAM Force crank, double (53/39) and replacing the outer ring with a 46t chain ring, to make it a 46/39 setup. Does anybody see any issues with this? Providing I find a 130 BCD chainring to match the crank.

Second: crank arm length.
    I am 5'1l", and I spin a 172.5 crank on the road. Should I keep this the same for cross, or go up to 175mm for a little more leverage?

Thanks for the input!
    I run a SRAM Force compact with 46/38 and a 13/26 in back...

If you need a 172.5 crank, PM me.. will me you a great deal on a Truvativ Carbon Rouleur (no bb or rings)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

posting bike for sale

hey im new here and im sure im going to eat a can of s h it for asking for help on this thread but im trying to list my moots psyclo -x for sale and every time i hit submit it returns me back to the beginning -

let the yelling at me begin

cheers

derek

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by derekvh View Post
    hey im new here and im sure im going to eat a can of s h it for asking for help on this thread but im trying to list
    Are you trying to post it in the site classifieds? If so, then it should work fine. If you are just spamming the board, not cool.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripped View Post
    Are you trying to post it in the site classifieds? If so, then it should work fine. If you are just spamming the board, not cool.
    Im very sorry that im not as cool and as awesome as you - i get great thrills from "spamming the board" that the classifieds section doesn't seem to be working - it gets my jollys going and makes me all excited - roadies are tools!!!!!!!!! you heard me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast