Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Not Banned

Dan

I try to keep TTs essentially the same
    maybe 1 cm shorter plus positive rise stem takes care of the rest
    if bike has shorter TT I'll run a longer stem to achieve same thing
    for example road: 56 TT 110 Stem with negative rise = cross 56 TT 100 stem positive rise
    or 56 TT 110 Stem with negative rise = cross 55TT 110 stem positive rise

shorter stems make for quicker turning (great for racing) longer stems smooth out longer descents (gravel grinding)
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by socalbikenut View Post
    My wife and I are jumping into Cyclocross this coming season and have started shopping for bikes. We have been looking around at a couple of different bike shops and are seriously considering the Stevens Carbon frame.

We are a bit concerned about the longevity for the carbon being used for cyclocross and have looked at some aluminum frames as well ,e.g Jamis.

What has been the experience of carbon frames holding up the abuse of racing?

We have road bikes (Specialized Tarmac) and mountain bikes (Ellsworth Truth & Evolve) currently and do the occasional triathlon.
    Giant makes very good entry level cross bikes. I rode a $1000 giant cross bike until I was in elite but then I upgraded when the bike really started to hinder me. My advice would be to get an aluminium frame bike with 105 or apex and go from there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    I totally agree with the stem idea as I use the same idea on my mtb bike. Thanks for the info, looks like I should start browsing 56cm TT bikes as well, really opens options a bit more actually. I appreciate all the insights...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
    I totally agree with the stem idea as I use the same idea on my mtb bike. Thanks for the info, looks like I should start browsing 56cm TT bikes as well, really opens options a bit more actually. I appreciate all the insights...
    Other than Ridley, though, you may find you have too much drop on a frame size with a TT of 56/57. Many frames with TTs that length have head tubs that are in the 140-160mm range. With your seat hight of 81, that's a ton of drop on a cross bike. Maybe you're young and flexible though

Good luck, I'm trying to find a frame right now too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    After tons of browsing I agree Andy, seems like to much drop...I think I'll stay in the 57/58 range and work with the stem angle. My new team ride Cinelli and I can get a pretty good deal on their frames, might go that route and build it up how I want it, plus side is I have time so I can even work a wheel build into the picture.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Looking for advise on base training for the CX season. I might though in one XC race in August. In CO, our season trypically starts in mid-september. How should someone be training now.
    I'm a cat 4 but by placing a consistant 10'ish in most of my races in the second half of teh season, my goal is to place top 5 in the beginning and have the opportunity to cat up during the season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I'd be working on handling skills and overall cardiovascular fitness right now Sunny. Come Early August I'd start working on conditioning explosive accelerations (over and over and over again) and training at your AT. I once heard CX described as a "45 minute heart attack", and that's not far from the truth. Gotta train at that level a month or two out or you'll blow up in the earl season races.

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSDavis82 View Post
    I'd be working on handling skills and overall cardiovascular fitness right now Sunny. Come Early August I'd start working on conditioning explosive accelerations (over and over and over again) and training at your AT. I once heard CX described as a "45 minute heart attack", and that's not far from the truth. Gotta train at that level a month or two out or you'll blow up in the earl season races.
    You need to plan when you *really* want to be fast and work backwards 12-ish weeks and start then. Aka follow Joe Friel's advice on peaking and insert some of the Carmichael 'Time Crunched Cyclist' workouts for speedwork. That's what I'm planning anyway.

You *may* be able to mini-peak for the beginning of the season and then have another peak at the end, but you'd have to plan that pretty carefully.

If you have a choice of riding road or riding gravel, pick the gravel. Helps with power, handling, and helps tune your equipment needs

HTH

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234