Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 272829
    cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKilo7 View Post
    1. It is just unsettling to me to see fiberglass in a fork. I read so many stories about cheap Chinese carbon makers using low quality materials in bike frames (yes there are some good ones too), and then to find a "corner cut" in a high end frame make me nervous. What other corner(s) did they cut? Comes down to trusting a bean counter with my life.
    And that my friend is why God invented steel.
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    What causes me even more concern is that when I asked the Ridley seller about the seeming different material in the steerer tube, they said it was just a different color carbon !!!
    Just out of curiousity, was this a bike shop or online? You're sure its a real Ridley?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just bought a Ridley X-night frameset brand new. Thought I was buying a high end frame... Outside looks like carbon, but the inside material sure doesn't look like pure carbon.
    Cyclocross specific chinese carbon-319604-cyclocross-specific-chinese-carbon-img_20170701_131022.jpg
    Sorry, late to the party, but I am 99.9% certain that is not a genuine Ridley X-Night seeing as (a) Ridley frames are made in Taiwan, and (b) the fork should not have an aluminum crown race! Although it has been a while since I owned one, by comparison, my 2012 X-Night had a full carbon steer-tube and definitely no funky layers. A final check, call Ridley and have them verify the serial number but a quicker check would be to ensure the compression plug is branded as a 4ZA part (Ridley's in-house accessory brand.
    Last edited by ms6073; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:34 AM.
    There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Sorry, late to the party, but I am 99.9% certain that is not a genuine Ridley X-Night seeing as (a) Ridley frames are made in Taiwan, and (b) the fork should not have an aluminum crown race! Although it has been a while since I owned one, by comparison, my 2012 X-Night had a full carbon steer-tube and definitely no funky layers. A final check, call Ridley and have them verify the serial number but a quicker check would be to ensure the compression plug is branded as a 4ZA part (Ridley's in-house accessory brand.
    But hasn't Ridley already confirmed this and called it "white carbon"...? Also, it's not that crazy unlikely that the frame production has been subcontracted to China...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aske View Post
    Also, it's not that crazy unlikely that the frame production has been subcontracted to China...
    Believe what you want, but I stand by my assertion that the fork pictured in the OP's images is highly unlikely to be from a genuine Ridley frameset!
    There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    I found this thread very helpful as I went through the process of building a commuter. Thanks!

A perfect example of scope creep. At the start of the project I wanted a something with gears to replace my single speed Genesis day one for my 13km commute... but still something I could lock up in the city and not worry.
    Ended up with this.

Flyxii 603

Had an issue with the back brake mount (some details here Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0) and not completely happy with the choice in bars. But overall it turned out very nice.

Only thing I have left is mud guards. Any recommendations from those with FR602/603?

Thanks!

Cyclocross specific chinese carbon-cccc.jpg

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 272829