Page 1 of 29 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Cyclocross specific chinese carbon

I hope that the mods dont end up moving this, but if they do... so be it.

I am curious what CX riders out there are using the chinese frame blank type frames. It is hard to filter through that entire thread in the frames subforum to find 1 or 2 mentions of CX bikes. Wondering who out there is actually using a chinese/ebay CX bike for CX. It's a whole different set of requirements than a road bike, so I figured it could use it's own thread. I'd throw the chinese carbon wheels in there too... I am sure i can't be the only person curious.

A bit of my history with chinese frames. I road an FM028 for about a year (3k miles), and found it way too flexy from front to rear to be a reliable race bike (very flexy headtube/toptube junction area). My fears would be the same for the cx bike, but I rode a 60cm. Looking at a 52 for my wife, so would assume the smaller size may mitigate that problem

RoadBikeReview Member
    I currently cannot answer specifically about Chinese cyclocross frames but I do two FM059 disc only carbon cyclocross framesets on order from Dengfu. There are 1 or 2 forum members who have purchased FM058 cantilever framesets who might chime in as well.
    There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_mac84 View Post
    I hope that the mods dont end up moving this, but if they do... so be it.

I am curious what CX riders out there are using the chinese frame blank type frames. It is hard to filter through that entire thread in the frames subforum to find 1 or 2 mentions of CX bikes. Wondering who out there is actually using a chinese/ebay CX bike for CX. It's a whole different set of requirements than a road bike, so I figured it could use it's own thread. I'd throw the chinese carbon wheels in there too... I am sure i can't be the only person curious.

A bit of my history with chinese frames. I road an FM028 for about a year (3k miles), and found it way too flexy from front to rear to be a reliable race bike (very flexy headtube/toptube junction area). My fears would be the same for the cx bike, but I rode a 60cm. Looking at a 52 for my wife, so would assume the smaller size may mitigate that problem
    Your FM028 issues had to be a function of bike setup or your frame size as Ive been on a 56cm FM028 for 1.5 years and it's the stiffest bike I've owned almost to a fault. Keeping this on topic I've got 2 seasons on a Pedal Force CX1 (which is an FM021) without a single issue. Just rebuilt it for this season and weighed the the bare frame, 1050g for a 56cm. More telling is my cheapie ebay carbon MTB frame I made into a singlespeed, I fricken kill that bike and no issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Let us know when you get them. Let's keep it CX specific (frames/wheel use etc), and not get into mechanical talk, as to keep it from being moved or getting too off topic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    i had one of the first CX frames that was on Ebay 4 years ago, rode it for 2 seasons and loved it, sold it to a buddy and bought a Yeti, Ok bike, not in love with it, so i bought a FM058 which i have just started riding and it is sooo much better than the Yeti. Stiff, handles like on rails. I also use 56mm carbon tubbies from China, paired to Bikehubstore bitex hubs in the rear and Circus monkey disc MTB hubs in the front. Bullet proof wheels that i love. They are a bit deep for a cross bike, but i weigh over 200lbs and wanted something a little stiffer. Once the FM059 forks become available, i will swap that onto my FM058 and make it a front disc rear canti setup like my Yeti is currently, ala Mullet.

i would not hesitate to get one, and will probably end up with an FM059 at some point when i decide to rebuild the wheels with disc rear hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Right now the On One Dirty Disco is on sale for $550 + S/H. It ships fast, and you pay a small premium to deal with someone stateside who can handle customer service issues. I got one of these a month ago.

When I was trolling alibaba.com and aliexpress.com, seemed like at most $100 could be saved relative to the Dirty Disco by going that route and I was quoted lengthy shipping times. Just a point worth considering. And the ones with internal cable routing (the only refinement I saw available over the DD) looked like they'd cost the same once you factored in S&H.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Good tip on the Dirty Disco.

For myself, shipping the DD to Canada would mean a $170 premium compared with buying from China. So it looks like I'm going to order an MT024 from China.

I like the fact that the DD/MT024 has a relatively short head tube, as I will be trying to duplicate my road bike position for use as a rain bike. I can't get enough seat-bar drop with a long head tube (bye-bye TCX).
    Last edited by sanrensho; 08-17-2012 at 09:33 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I built up a Hongfu FM-022 'cross frameset for my wife, who said she was interested in getting into 'cross. She hasn't raced it yet, but I raced it a couple of times last season. It's set up as a 1x10, with SRAM apex 11-32 cassette and RD.

The bike is light and fast, and gets plenty of notice, partially because of the pink and black custom paint (also done by Hongfu), and partly because people don't recognize the frameset. I don't know if the FM-022 is based on another manufacturer's design or not..

Steve.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Here's a pic from her first day on the bike - shortly after Christmas. Don't give me any grief about not having a helmet, she put the helmet on before riding.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmugg View Post
    Here's a pic from her first day on the bike - shortly after Christmas. Don't give me any grief about not having a helmet, she put the helmet on before riding.

My wife would kill for that bike.
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I think i wil pick one of these up for my wife. So far, the FM058 seems to lead the category in geometry/fit and also has tapered head tube. Have to see what the lead time is for getting it painted. I found that Icarbonsports.com sells the same bikes as Dengfu, with dengfu having a bit better reputation... (and cooler lines than the 022 from hongfu).

Trigger Warning
    Nice bike.

But dang that's a lot of pink cable back there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Yes - rear der cable needs to be shortened.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    This looks interesting

Road Bike frame items in cyclocross store on eBay!

disk or v-brake
    Full internal cables
    and AFAICT is Di2/EPS capable

P.S. FWIW I have a FM058 which I use as my commuter bike.
    Last edited by mrcreosote; 08-27-2012 at 03:45 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Let us know when you get them.
    Picked the frames up from the USPS this morning. Took a quick snapshot of the frames (image below) and a quick inspection reveals that the internal cable ports for the rear brake cable are plumbed for mechanical brakes. Rumor has it SRAM will have hydraulic Red shifters/brakes very soon but when road hydaulic becomes available, I will have to carefully drill out the cable bosses which I may due anyway to run a full length housing to the rear brake. Inspection of the contents of the box and I found 2 frames (size 52 & 56), 2 forks, 2 seat post clamps, and the 2 extra deraileur hangers I requested but no headsets (not surprised). So while I did not yet weigh the forks, I was pleasantly surprised to find the weights a tad less than advertised with the size 52 weighing 1240 grams and the 56 weighing in at 1270 grams.

Last edited by ms6073; 08-27-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I raced the FM058 last year and will be this year. I'm 200# and hammer the crap out of it but it doesn't miss a beat. This year I'm building the China direct model of the Dirty Disco from Ican Sports. I'm building it up as a SS with Beer components eccentric BB, since it has a BB30. I ordered it with no cable guides and had Ruckus Components install internal routing. This thing is wicked beefy and totally overbuilt, yet really light at 1080 grams for a 58cm.

Their new disc model is Di2 compatible... http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/58...eSP_AC098.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Picked the frames up from the USPS this morning. Took a quick snapshot of the frames (image below) and a quick inspection reveals that the internal cable ports for the rear brake cable are plumbed for mechanical brakes. Rumor has it SRAM will have hydraulic Red shifters/brakes very soon but when road hydaulic becomes available, I will have to carefully drill out the cable bosses which I may due anyway to run a full length housing to the rear brake. Inspection of the contents of the box and I found 2 frames (size 52 & 56), 2 forks, 2 seat post clamps, and the 2 extra deraileur hangers I requested but no headsets (not surprised). So while I did not yet weigh the forks, I was pleasantly surprised to find the weights a tad less than advertised with the size 52 weighing 1240 grams and the 56 weighing in at 1270 grams.

Very nice!!! those will build up super light!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I've ridden the Dirty Disco about 1k miles so far (recovering from an operation and have 1 month no riding). It's very stiff. Bonus (for me) is that the DD is made by Bev in Taiwan. No dealing with China (I hate the Chinese govt w a passion!). $550 now on sale Planet X USA Web Store

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Pulled the trigger on an MC024 frame (Dirty Disco) yesterday from Miracle Trade. I hope this goes well.

Now a mad rush to get a rear disc wheel build and 31.6 seatpost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Dirty Disco owners, how come the steep seat tube angle on these frames and how does that affect frame size? I can't quite wrap my brain around this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Here's mine, finally got it built up and raced it today. 15lbs with Hope V-Twin hydro's. Going to shave down the der. hanger and anodize it black to clean it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Nice!! Is this a Dirty Disco, Dengfu, Hongfu...??

How did she race? How did you like the disc breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Here's mine, finally got it built up and raced it today. 15lbs with Hope V-Twin hydro's. Going to shave down the der. hanger and anodize it black to clean it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Black37 View Post
    Nice!! Is this a Dirty Disco, Dengfu, Hongfu...??

How did she race? How did you like the disc breaks?
    The frame is from Ican Sports: Aliexpress.com : Buy 2013 new cyclocross frame,carbon cyclocross frame with disc brakes ,carbon cyclocross bicycle frame from Reliable bicycle carbon track frame suppliers on Shenzhen Ican Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

It's essentially a Dirty Disco. I compared them side by side yesterday at the Titus tent. Absolutely identical except the finish and the BB.

It raced amazingly! Super stiff, zero flex in the rear. Point it where it needs to go and it's there, no flex in the front end or fork, it just rails corners.

The brakes are good. There's a few kinks to work out. The routing from the levers to the master cylinders is not optimal. I set them up real quick at 1am the night before. So there's some tough bends and the pads and rotors aren't bedded in. I'm gonna redo the the routing up top, use new hope rotors and install fresh pads and do it up right. I'm using XT ice tech rotors..

The initial performance was really good though. Excellent modulation, no dragging, no fade. A little short on power, but that's do to them not being broken in properly. Overall I'm pleased with them and they'll be phenomenal once dialed. Set up seemed like a ***** at first but now it's easy. With the reservoirs angled and directly under the stem, you have to pull the stem and rotate the master cylinder to bleed them, which is a pain. The mounting plate is a little weak too, could be stiffer. Maybe that's intentional, so it bends if there's an impact of some sort, which isn't likely in that position...

Anyway, I like it. The bike is rad. Best carbon cross bike I've owned yet. Excellent geometry, stiff frame, looks good.
    Last edited by mattsavage; 09-02-2012 at 05:15 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Anyone know of someone who sells these frames in a size bigger than 58cm?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice!!! those will build up super light!
    Although our disc cyclocross bike project is still awaiting the arrival of the carbon 29er wheels we ordered from Light-Bicycle.com, I was able to use a spare 26" American Classic disc wheelset to build up the wifes bike over the weekend. Technically, the wife's bike is finished and while the diameter of 26" wheels with mtb tires is pretty close to that of 700c wheels with Specialized Trigger Pro clinchers, it has not yet been ridden but looks good and weighs in at 7.1 kg.

Fit and finish of the frames was nice but no headset was included and a query to DengFu revealed that I failed to notice it was not on the invoice at the time I ordered but Cane Creek 110 Series 1 1/8" upper with 1.5 lower works well although the outer diameter of the headtube is ~1mm wider than the upper bearing cover. Post mounts are for 140mm rotors and will require spacers/standoffs for 160 or larger but I was disappointed to find that the internal routing of the top tube routed rear brake is plumbed for the typical road brake setup thus not (yet) possible to run full length housing much less hydro brake line without some modification. I also found that the rotor mounting bolts of the front wheel slightly graze the inner face of the lower fork post mount but have not yet taken any steps to correct this as the Am Classic hubs on the 26" wheelset in question are 2008/2009 vintage and I want to see if this happens with the 29er carbon wheels built with NovaTech 711/712 hubs.
    Last edited by ms6073; 09-04-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

Page 1 of 29 123 ... LastLast