RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

Don't know if anyone can help, but Trek 7.3fx for light CX

A different sort of question here, don't know if anyone can help. I have been trying desperately for a while now to get my wife riding. A few summers ago she actually enjoyed some trips to this super easy flat trail around here. She won't do any mountain biking that has dips or too many roots or what not, but she did really like this easy widing path. I can bust through this path fairly quickly on my Poprad, taking the few more difficult off shoots as well. She has an old Trek 820, steel and heavy and rigid. When she tried it on the road, it was too heavy, doesn't shift well (bottom barrel components are just slow and innacurate). It just isn't fun for her to ride it.

I want to get her a flat bar road bike type ride. Something lighter and well built. I was looking at the Trek 7.3fx. It is very relaxed geometry (She wants to be as upright as possible). It also has v-brakes and a steel fork (edit--the 7.5 has a carbon fork and nicer wheels, but a lesser derailler). I was considering getting this and wondered, with some light nobbies, if it would be OK for the type of dirt path I described above. If you have any other specific recommendations I would be open to those as well.
    Last edited by 24601; 02-17-2007 at 06:20 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    The 7.5fx has nicer parts for 200 bucks more. The rear der. is equivilant. It is not 'lesser.'
    This bike would be perfect with some 700x32 nobbies for the dirt path. I did the same thing for my wife, worked out perfectly. Spend the extra $$$ on the 7.5fx WSD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Tiagra = Deore? I thought it was a bit under.I would love to get her the 7.5 fx livestrong, but money is also an issue here. Not for me, I would love to spend as much as I do on my own stuff, but she feels she won't ride enough to be worth spending money on. Like I said, I have been trying to get her more into it for years, and spending the money on her is the main issue. I really just need to go buy it and get it dirty so I can't take it back.

She doesn't usually like WSD stuff. From what I have seen, WSD is for tiny little women. I have a real woman for a wife. I hate the way the bike industry defines women as little frail skinny things. It keeps a lot of women out of the sport.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    the 7.5fx livestrong is pimp. good luck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks. I'm going to take her by to sit on it. I think once she sees how much more comfortable and easy to ride it is she might go for it.