RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Double Cross and upgrade from Cross Check?

As the title suggests, I'm curious as to weather a double cross frame would be an upgrade from a cross check frame. Right now I'm riding a 62cm cross check and the top tube is a bit too long. I could put a shorter stem, but that would screw the handling. Would the double cross ride much differently? The numbers are very similar, so it would come down to material/chi/whathaveyou. Would a new double cross frame in 60cm be a worthwhile purchase? I could likely sell my Xcheck frame for a good bit as it's very new, so I wouldn't be out much cash in all likelihood.

Thanks in advance dudes/dudettes.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I ride a much smaller frame so it may be different for you tall guys, but this is what I found when I compared the two.

I think it is worth changing if your not heavy or carrying heavy loads. The DC has higher end tubes, so lighter and feels smoother to ride. The CC feels stiff, more like a bike for loading up to do heavy duty touring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Interesting. Thanks for the response. So the DC has slightly better/ligher tubing. I suspected that would be the case and thats what I was hoping, but not for the more flex. The flex from my CC could certainly be a product of the bigger frame, and I'd be dropping one size to the DC, so maybe it would be reasonably close, flexy wise? I could live with that. This bike will be ridden all over the place(road, single track, dirt, gravel, etc.) including an eventual foray into racing(can't wait!). The more I ride a cross bike, the more I love it. Being a starving post-collegiate athlete, while I want to upgrade, I need to be stingy with my funds. I bet I could find a used DC in 60cm if I wait long enough. That could make the swap more reasonable.

I'm 6'3" 180lbs sub-5% body fat. I wish bike makers could take the non-waifish, non-UCI riders, who like to ride their bikes hard into consideration.

Thanks, guys and gals. If anybody else has some experience with both I'd love to hear your impressions!

RoadBikeReview Member
    What length stem is on the Crosschek now? How much shorter does the reach need to be? Is your saddle set-up appropriately in relation to the BB? If the CC is truly too big for you and the DC has a better geometry, it could be money well spent to get a bit that fits. But a bike that fits is about the only upgrade you'd get, the bikes are pretty similar and doubt you'd notice a significant difference. Not to say that a better fit isn't an "upgrade".

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Black Mountain Cycles monster-crosser.

http://blackmountaincycles.blogspot....es-frames.html

Not associated in any way w/ BMC, just happen to own one and recommend it highly.

Take a CrossCheck, then add a little bit more tire clearance, lighter/better tubeset, longer headtube (less spacers), really well thought out cable routing...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Here's my take on it... The DC is a very nice ride, but can feel a little "noodly" if you are coming from a stiff aluminum frameset or a heavy steel one (in my case, the TCX and the CC, respectively)... The nice bit about this is the way the frame just soaks up trail chatter, and I feel much less "beat up" by the bike than the Cross Check or the TCX. That said, it isn't floppy by any means.

The DC favors a slightly less aggressive position than the CC. With the long headtube, it is quite easy to get the handlebars up for comfort. That said, if you're really tall and like a ton of drop, it could be difficult to get them low enough without going down a frame size. I'm 6'2" and I ride a 60cm DC. I'm still doing some fine tuning to position, but currently have about 1" of drop with 1" of spacers and a zero rise stem.

Not sure what you are running for tires, but the DC has significantly less clearance than the CC. You can squeeze a 38 in the back, but only just.

Depending on your intended usage, and/or how much you care about how the bike looks, I would consider having the frame/fork stripped and powder coated. The paint is extremely fragile, and chips off quite easily, especially in certain areas (driveside chainstay, bottom side of the downtube, backside of the seat tube).

All in all, I love the Soma. Its got some class. Perfect for the riding I do, which involves a lot of offroad single and doubletrack (I like to pretend its a mountain bike), as well as carry enough light gear to do some bikepacking or light touring. The fork handles a couple lightly loaded panniers on a lowrider just fine. Pity about the paint, but I am thinking about powdercoating and not having to worry about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Good stuff. Thanks guys. I won't be running tires bigger than 35 or so, so clearance isn't a huge issue. Sunset, I ride my CC in much the same way you ride your DC. I will eventually race on it, but that won't be for years and who knows, I may have a race bike by then, so it's not a priority to have high-zoot, super stiff, aggressive, race bike handling. I'm constantly fiddling with position, and so far a 110mm stem with reasonably short reach bars at 2-3" below saddle height is best on my CC. I may just ride the CC into the ground before I swap frames. We'll see.