RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009

entry level CX bike

Help. Looking for recommendations/input on a first CX entry bike - $1500 or so. I ride primarily road but enjoy CX races. Currently using an old and heavy Redline conquest.

I weigh 155 - maybe do 8-10 CX races a season. I am open to used if it is a better value.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    disc or canti brakes?

$1500 or less gives you a lot of options. Usually with Shimano drivetrain.

I went with a Cannondale CAADX-Tiagra which retails for $1250.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I'm interested in overall value - so either - but disc would be nice. And I want a Shimano drive train.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I bought a NOS CAADX 105 last year -- a very nice bike. No discs, but you can score one for under $1500, and I wouldn't call it entry level.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can get ALOT of bike for $1500. What besides a Shimano drivetrain and I am assuming weight reduction are you after? What about the Redline doesn't work for you?

My cross rig is pieced together for well below your max budget and is more than race-worthy. Your biggest bang for the buck is going to be the used market. Unfortunately, you've missed the usual winter sell off as the season closes and racers are looking to upgrade for next year. You might be able to find some good deal from folks looking to upgrade right before the season as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seems like you can either go for discs or a better group, but not both for $1500.

There is, of course, Save Up To 60% Off New Cyclocross Bicycles from bikesdirect.com. Great for commuting, racing or just having fun riding most anywhere. which has some pretty nice rides for $1000 (105/Tiagra bike with BB5 discs).

And ebay has had quite a few Marin disc bikes for $500 - $800 over the past few months.

Other than those, it kind of blows my mind how rapidly the price of CX bikes escalates as soon as you cross into the Shimano 105 threshold (or any SRAM equipped bike). Much more expensive than a regular street bike with the same component groups. Makes no sense to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another thought... if weight is a concern (it seems it is) why would you consider disc? Especially in your price range. Right now the technology is so new to drop bar bikes that they are heavy and/or expensive conpared to rim brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Good point and thanks for the feedback - I know you can't go wrong with canti brakes. I appreciate all the input.

Riv

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    Another thought... if weight is a concern (it seems it is) why would you consider disc? Especially in your price range. Right now the technology is so new to drop bar bikes that they are heavy and/or expensive conpared to rim brakes.
    Mechanical disc brakes don't really cost that much, they are comparable in cost to a good set of cantis

Yes, it is a little heavier, if you're counting every single gram....

in terms of braking power, discs are so much better. My road bike with dual pivots brake stronger than my cantis... both using the same Koolstop Salmon pads...
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless

AKA: Sheila Muirenn
    May 2009
    Another CAADX 105. Brushed aluminum frameset, very good ride! (See my Cannondale Aluminum gushing thread in this sub forum for opinions of others on the C'dale Aluminum frames).

CAADX Aluminum quality

I think the retail is around 1600.00, though I paid less.

You could get the Tiagra if necessary, and upgrade. I bought this bike because it handled well, had great power-transfer, rode smooth, and fit the way I wanted it to. I do plan to upgrade the brakes to TRP's, eventually, but they are fine with just swapping out the brake-pads, which should run around $10.00.

It's also lightweight, and easy to clean with the aluminum parts. In fact, I think it's lighter than my carbon road bike (Pina Quattro).
    Last edited by aureliajulia; 06-26-2013 at 03:28 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Mechanical disc brakes don't really cost that much, they are comparable in cost to a good set of cantis

Yes, it is a little heavier, if you're counting every single gram....

in terms of braking power, discs are so much better. My road bike with dual pivots brake stronger than my cantis... both using the same Koolstop Salmon pads...
    I've actually gone mini-v and although haven't raced it yet, am really digging the power and modulation so far.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    I've actually gone mini-v and although haven't raced it yet, am really digging the power and modulation so far.
    The lack thereof braking power doesn't bother me on a CX course in grassy park... when I hit some twisty singletrack... i lack of brakes can be scary