RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

Experience with Shimano CX70/50 Cranksets?

Has anyone had some reasonable time on the cx70 or 50 crankset and could share their impressions regarding stiffness, weight, etc? I know the 70 is supposed to be Ultegra level and the 50 between 105 and Tiagra. Would you agree with that from your experience?

And do you use the cx70/50 front derailleur with that? Would those cranks work equally well with a standard 105 5700 front der.? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    i'm using a CX50 crankset with a 105 front der...both purchased new w/in the past 5 months.

the cranks have worked just fine. I did the last 2 races of the season with no problems and have been logging plenty of road miles since. stiffness seems adequate for my 220 lbs and masher style.

i don't think i shifted into the big ring once during any of those races, but shifting seems to be pretty decent as well.

i chose the CX50 over the 70 mainly because of price. the rest of my drivetrain is 105.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dumalam View Post
    Has anyone had some reasonable time on the cx70 or 50 crankset and could share their impressions regarding stiffness, weight, etc? I know the 70 is supposed to be Ultegra level and the 50 between 105 and Tiagra. Would you agree with that from your experience?

And do you use the cx70/50 front derailleur with that? Would those cranks work equally well with a standard 105 5700 front der.? Thanks.
    These crank are exactly the same as compact shimano 105 and ultegra. They are just sold with the 46x36 typical CX chainring teeth counts. If you are already running standard chainrings, you will not gain anything by purchasing them.

These were not available last year, I did the last cx season with shimano 105 cransket mated with 46x36 Spécialités T/A chainrings and a front ultegra derailleur.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the replies.