RoadBikeReview Member

Feedback on Soma CX forks?

I'm looking for feedback on the Soma steel cyclocross forks from those with them on a Soma Doublecross or other cross bikes. I recently bought a used Ritchey Breakaway Cross frame that came without the fork, so I need to pick one up. The bike comes standard with a Ritchey Comp Carbon Cross fork, but I generally prefer steel over carbon forks for durability as well as more options for attaching racks, fenders, etc. Plus the steel fork would cost at least half and only weighs a little more.

http://www.somafab.com/parts/forks

Soma makes several steel CX forks -- including a lugged CrMO model with slight curve, a straight-blade model and a "classic curve" model. I am leaning toward the lugged CrMO model because I like the way it looks and it has mounts for a front rack. I also like the straight blade model, but it doesn't have mounts for a rack. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any of these forks on their CX bikes, and how well they ride, quality of finish, etc.

I will be using the bike for commuting, riding on paved and unpaved trails and light touring. No racing.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    AFAIK it's all good stuff, Tange steel, pick the one you like best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How about the All-City Nature Boy fork? I'm kind leaning toward the look of a straight blade fork, and the All-City fork is the same rake as Ritchey's.

Expert Crasher

Feedback on Soma CX forks?

Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2 View Post
    How about the All-City Nature Boy fork? I'm kind leaning toward the look of a straight blade fork, and the All-City fork is the same rake as Ritchey's.
    That is what I am using on my Soma Double Cross and it is a great fork. When I picked up my black Soma frame, they were out of black forks so I got the All-City and have not looked back.
    I like dirt.....