RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Felt's 2009 F60X vs 2010 F95X

Hi all. I've been searching the internet for days now and can't seem to dig up any info on these bikes (reviews). Anyone have experience riding these guys? I'm just getting into cross with not a TON of money to drop. I'm thinking of getting a cross bike and selling my commuter. That being said, the ability to put fenders and a rack on it key for me.

I went to my local shop to take a look at the new CX bikes Felt is putting out, particularly the F95X (it'll be easy to set up fenders/rack on these guy).

The duder at the shop was trying to sell me on last years model, the F60X, for the same price as the F95X. There have been some changes made, particularly the F60X is a higher geared bike. Since I'm new to cross I don't know what to make of these changes. The F95X is about 3 pounds lighter.

F95X: http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010...LO-X/F95X.aspx

F60X: http://2009.feltracing.com/09-catalo...s/09-f60x.aspx

I was also looking at the breed but then wondering how nuts I'd have to be to race a SS cx bike.

Breed: http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010...O-X/BREED.aspx

Any advice you guys could give would be really helpful. I don't have much of a cross community here yet but am looking to make new friends soon!

Thanks so much! Chris.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I guess my major concern is this.

On the 09 we have these components:
    CRANKSET: Shimano FC-R453 Triple, 3 piece, Forged Aluminum, 50/39/30T
    SHIFTERS:Shimano Tiagra STI, 27 Speed
    FRONT DERAILLEUR:Shimano Sora 31.8mm clamp-on, triple, 9 Speed
    REAR DERAILLEUR:Shimano 105 GS Long Cage
    RIMS:MAVIC CXP-22N Aluminum Rim with Machined UB Control Braking Surface and Wear Indicator laced 3-Cross Rear, Radial 0-Cross Front

And on the 2010 we have these:
    Crankset: FSA VERO Double, 3-PC, Forged Aluminum, 48T/34T
    Shifters: Shimano Sora STI, 18 Speed
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Sora 31.8mm clamp-on, double, 9 Speed
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra SS Short Cage
    Rims: Alex R500 Aluminum Rim, Machined CSW Braking Surface & Wear Indicator laced 3-Cross Rear, Radial 0-Cross Front

I know those 2010 components are pretty crappy. I also know it's not necessary to run a triple crankset like they have the 2009 set up.

Is running a triple going to hinder me in any way? I'm pretty much thinking my components are going to be pretty mediocre on a 1000 to 1200 dollar bike until I can upgrade anyway so for now do I go with the double for now?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Triples are generally never desirable. Compact cranksets are more than adequate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    (I'm assuming you are going to race this bike, although you don't specify that you actually are)

Running a triple will probably not hinder you, particularly. I raced on a triple my first year,and although I never used the little ring (or, likely, the big ring, at least in races), it didn't explode or anything. I wouldn't choose one, necessarily, but it's not the end of the world if you have one.

Also, if you want to set it and forget it in front in a race, the middle ring of the triple is way more in the cross sweet spot, in my experience.

On the other hand, I am not a weight weenie, in general, but 3 pounds is a lot of extra weight to haul over a barrier.

And I am a big fan of single speed cross racing. But it's certainly not for everyone. If you live in mudlandia, though, it's certainly worth considering.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, I am looking to race this bike. Beginner stuff but I'm trying to make the best decision I can for my first CX bike. Unfortunately I have to use this bike as my commuter as well so I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons for both but ultimately I want what is best for racing.

Single Speed Cross is something that certainly interests me. I'm probably going to look into it once i get some races with a geared bike under my belt.

Thanks for your input! If I only had one front ring on my commuter rig I probably would never notice. I never use the front gears.