Corey213

First time riding Tubulars

I've been trying out some tubulars and I am having trouble getting the hang of them. They always feel like they are rolling over. I've been trying the weight /10 + 5psi to start out. That puts me at 22psi. I start at 24psi and still feel like I'm bottoming out and rolling it over. Do I go up to 26psi? I know a lot of this all depends on the each person, just looking for some tips or hints from people or if someone is trying out tubulars as well and seeing how they are taking the learning curve.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    what size are these? what weight are you? 170# I assume.

what kind of use? CX racing? Gravel?

22 psi? where on earth did you get that idea? sounds awfully low.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:20 AM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Corey213
    They are 33 FMB Slaloms. I am 170. I have heard before and read that you do weight / 10 + 5psi which would get me at 22. Maybe that would work for slop or a European rider but sounds like for me, you are saying 25+ may be better? Thanks Bikerjulio!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't really have experience with running pressures that low. It was just my initial reaction. Wait and see what other opinions show up.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey213 View Post
    They are 33 FMB Slaloms. I am 170. I have heard before and read that you do weight / 10 + 5psi which would get me at 22. Maybe that would work for slop or a European rider but sounds like for me, you are saying 25+ may be better? Thanks Bikerjulio!

I weight about the same. I usually start at 24 front 26 rear and adjust from there.

How are you measuring psi? The little needle on your regular floor pump is likely not that accurate at those low pressures. I use an sks airchecker gauge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Way too low on pressure, esp if you have the non "pro" FMB tires. The regular sidewalls have less support and are very supple. That means they will fold over in the corners easily. Try 26 and see how it feels. You might even need to go up higher depending on your rim width and the nature of the particular course you're riding on. ie off camber downhill turns will folder tires more easily.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    You should pump them up the the same pressure that you pump your clinchers up to. 26 psi? You gotta be kidding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    There is no reason you should ever run handmade CX tubulars at clincher pressures. Unless you're possibly talking about tubeless clinchers and even then you can almost always run lower in the tubulars.

Pretty much the main reason to run tubulars is for the ability to use lower pressures.

26psi is a totally reasonable place for a 170lb person to start with. I could see him needing 28rear/26-27 front depending on riding style and course. But, more than that would surprise me.

My small stature wife is in the very low 20s and even high teens at times.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    There is no reason you should ever run handmade CX tubulars at clincher pressures. Unless you're possibly talking about tubeless clinchers and even then you can almost always run lower in the tubulars.

Pretty much the main reason to run tubulars is for the ability to use lower pressures.

26psi is a totally reasonable place for a 170lb person to start with. I could see him needing 28rear/26-27 front depending on riding style and course. But, more than that would surprise me.

My small stature wife is in the very low 20s and even high teens at times.
    It's been years since I rode on tubulars. I used to borrow a set of wheels with a rear disc for time trials that had tubulars on them. Back then, in the stone age, the belief was that more psi = faster. Maybe I'm thinking different tubulars here. Is this a wide tire? The ones I used to use were 23R/20F. Yes. It was the stone age. Anyone showing up with 25c wheels would have been laughed at.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    It's been years since I rode on tubulars. I used to borrow a set of wheels with a rear disc for time trials that had tubulars on them. Back then, in the stone age, the belief was that more psi = faster. Maybe I'm thinking different tubulars here. Is this a wide tire? The ones I used to use were 23R/20F. Yes. It was the stone age. Anyone showing up with 25c wheels would have been laughed at.
    It's the cyclocross forum. He's using 33c tires.

No relevance to riding a time trial.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    They are CX tires, so yes they are wide

33mm with handmade cotton casings.

Even for road things have shifter as people realize high psi just bounces you around more. Lower pressure and a wider tire for road racing is the most common now days. a 25mm or 26mm on a wide rim.... mid 90's psi or even slightly lower.

Corey213
    Great thank you everyone! I'll try it out there and see what happens. You're all the best!

Not Banned
    I would take them up to 35 psi and then work down. Ride for a while at the higher psi so you can adjust to the new feel. Then reduce as you become used to them. They are going to squish some on bumps and corners, you just need to get used to it.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Corey213
    I tried 28.5 and that felt good. Then checked again after 3 fast laps and it read 27.5 in the rear and 26.5 in the front(let out a little too much air). That felt good as well. I think 27.5 or 28 may work for these fast and dry conditions right now.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey213 View Post
    I tried 28.5 and that felt good. Then checked again after 3 fast laps and it read 27.5 in the rear and 26.5 in the front(let out a little too much air). That felt good as well. I think 27.5 or 28 may work for these fast and dry conditions right now.
    that's fine psi
    just be careful with those tires are sticks and such. The sidewalls are prone to tearing on sharp things
    when it gets wetter /softer drop the psi. Lower the PSI
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I'm 185 and am running 28/30. Seems to be a good pressure. PDX's btw.