Every little counts...

FroggLegs Brakes Installation and Setup

Just replacing my Avid 4s with Frogs.

Simple, solid, and effective is my first impression on installation.

Anyone have tips beyond what I can garner from experience?
    -high straddle
    -pad holder mount is vertical over canti boss.
    -canti stud is fully inserted in the mount (brake almost touches pad) so that the legs are 'horizontal'.

Appreciated...

50ft. Queenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunout
    Just replacing my Avid 4s with Frogs.

Simple, solid, and effective is my first impression on installation.

Anyone have tips beyond what I can garner from experience?
    -high straddle
    -pad holder mount is vertical over canti boss.
    -canti stud is fully inserted in the mount (brake almost touches pad) so that the legs are 'horizontal'.

Appreciated...
    i typically dont have my straddle cable that high, at all. i prefer more power.

toe-in is done via adjustable wrench & some muscle....

09262006(005)

rear wheel

aka Zoo
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by argylesocks

Which brake pads are those?
    2005 Orbea Lobular 100 - 2005 Hot Tubes Carbon - 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper Disc - 2007 Kona Major Jake

50ft. Queenie
    Quote Originally Posted by DRLski
    Which brake pads are those?
    koolstop dual-compound. i didnt like 'em for the front. seems like i had more squeel/chatter than with the standard koolstop, so i switch'd em back...
    no i use the regular 'salmon' koolstop pads. thicker.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Channel Lock pliers and cans of cheap beer are required for setting up the toe in. Careful with the hanger thing the brake cable bolts to, mine broke the night before a race, it is just white metal.

They are a nice brake, they work somewhat better than dragging your feet which puts them at the top of the list for cantilever technology.

Every little counts...
    Yes, they look good and provide very good modulation and mud clearance.

Braking power is a bit further down the list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Straddle height and high profile brakes

Quote Originally Posted by argylesocks

09262006(005)

rear wheel
    On high profile brakes, like the frog legs, straddle height makes almost no difference in brake leverage. Because the cable arms are nearly perpendicular to frame, only the vertical portion of the cable force produces braking force. Changing the angle of the straddle does not change the vertical component of the straddle force - the vertical force on each arm is always half the force in the main brake cable.

On low profile brakes, like the avids, the arms are at about a 45 degree angle to the frame. Therefore, only the component of the straddle cable force that is at a 45 degree angle creates braking force. However, changing the straddle angle changes the horizontal component of the straddle cable force, which in turn changes the 45 degree component of the straddle cable force. So straddle cable angle does change the leverage of low profile brakes.

High profile brakes like the frog legs have only one, constant (and generally low) leverage ratio. They're great for mud clearance (because their low leverage means high rim/pad clearance), but lousy for generating braking force.

Every little counts...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McM
    ...They're great for mud clearance (because their low leverage means high rim/pad clearance), but lousy for generating braking force.
    Great! If I'm behind any of you on a downhill with a hairpin at the bottom: Get out of my way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I won't need to get out of your way, I can't stop anyway. At least I can make a godawful screeching sound like a world war 2 buzzbomb and I rattle down the hill. An elegant sport this is, almost like ballet but with more sensible footware.