RoadBikeReview Member

Gunnar Crosshairs -VS- Ridley X-Fire

Already looking forward to my second full cyclocross season, and of course thinking of all the things I need to learn and improve after last year, my bike will be one of the easier things to change. I'm currently riding a 54cm 2007 Cannondale Optimo Si BB30, the one with the CAAD9 front end mated to their aluminum cyclocross rear, same as Tim Johnson's frame.

What I like about the bike is the very very light weight, incredible stiffness, BB30.. just a smoking fast bike. What I don't like is how harsh the ride is, with the all aluminum frame and especially those big beefy wishbone rear stays. Others on my team who raced the bike feel the same way. I'd also like a bit shorter top tube- Cannondales have such long TT's, and if I get the exact same frame one size smaller, the head tube will be low.

I can get a Gunnar Crosshairs frame from one guy on the team. This fits well and has a great racing geometry, but is considerably heavier which is noticeable to a 145-lb guy.

Another teammate has a Ridley full carbon frame, which would also fit pretty good. This would be really light weight and maybe faster then the Gunnar, but I don't think it would have as smooth a ride.

More than just the old steel versus carbon debate, anyone have any insight on either of these two bikes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    If the bike just doesn't fit I can understand you wanting to switch. However, the "harsh ride" is most likely a result of too high tire pressure. What are you running? At your size you should be able to run some nice 32-34 tubbies at below 30psi & that would make the stiffest of bikes ride smooth. Thats my .02cents.

DP
    Last edited by DPCX; 03-15-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Old, slow, and fat.
    I like my Crosshairs. That's about all I can add to the conversation.

No, it ain't the lightest... Just works.

Oh, and while you've prolly seen me posting the link, Fetish is havin a sale on their cross frames. Hard to beat em! http://www.fetishcycles.com/

I like my SAC and don't hesitate to recommend em

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MShaw
    Oh, and while you've prolly seen me posting the link, Fetish is havin a sale on their cross frames. Hard to beat em! http://www.fetishcycles.com/
    With 1894g (4.2lb) for the size 56 frame, you might as well get steel?

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by DPCX
    If the bike just doesn't fit I can understand you wanting to switch. However, the "harsh ride" is most likely a result of too high tire pressure.
    +1 for every time I've heard "aluminum" and "harsh ride" in the same post.

And the 52 has a 5mm lower HT. 5mm.

raging results nerd
    Nov 2006
    What's wrong with a harsh ride? It's a cross race, not a spin class.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    i have a gunnar (with a steel fork) and love it as my all-rounder. but i also have a lightweight aluminum race bike. if you switch the stock gunnar fork to a nice carbon fork you'll save a lot of weight and keep most of the comfort (the frame itself is not that heavy). i also like the slightly lower bb of the gunnar and that it is made in the US (and that my frame is 10 years old and still going strong). but it really comes down to fit and intended use...