Samurai on Two Wheels

How popular is single speed CX racing? (In Colorado?)

Just wondering. Also do you think an Al CX frame with an ENO hub is the best way to set up a SS CX bike? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    there were about 10 ss racers at some of the races this year. they went off right after the 3s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I see a few guys at each race on SS. They usually don't get there own class, but they have a blast all the same. I know a couple of dudes that have two bikes, one SS and one geared, they choose based on the course and how miserable they want to be.

I would think that the ENO hub would be wise since you can use any cross frame for the project, not a ton of SS cross rigs out there.
    If your beer isn't Belgian you ain't racin' 'Cross!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 1969
    I raced SS this year in my first year of doing CX and loved it. I had an IF Planet X built with track dropouts as I wanted it as my fixie and got a flip flop hub. Honestly, it was a great way to start the sport as it took shifting and drivetrain/weather out of the equation and gave me a very good gauge on my fitness. In NJ it was me and a 60yo as the only people. I raced C's and was usually top-10 with a few top 5's. One guy from Oregon said they have a full class out there and I saw that in SoCal, they had 20-30 SS guys each weekend. It is different and depending on course design, it is a better option. Try it, what have you got to lose?

That said, I am getting a geared CX bike for next year and will probably race 2x's per day; C's on the SS and B's or Master's on the geared bike. I just can't keep up with guys on flats b/c I'm geared to get over the hills. There's only so long I can hold a 130 cadence.

I saw someone on a Surly singelator and was happy with it. ENO should be fine too.