RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Kool Stop Brake pads

After reading about how good Kool Stop salmon brake pads are, I decided I am going to get some for my 2012 Jake The Snake. Where is the best place to get them and is it better to just get the replacement pads or the whole pad assembly? The bike has Avid Shorty 6 brakes. Thanks.
    Last edited by richnmib; 07-06-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    If This Is Heaven...How Bad Is Hell???

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just get them from my LBS. Just replace the pads since the shorties come with the cartridge style pad assemblies. It makes it a 5-minute job instead of a hour+ job swapping the whole thing out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    I have Tektro R730 brakes that could use some improvement. I've done plenty of reading around this forum that says Kool Stop is the way to go. I'm just wondering which version people would recommend. I don't own a car and commute to work 8 miles RT every week day so the salmon pads sound like they make sense.

Can I basically get the Campi, Dura, or Tectonic with holder and expect them to work on my road bike? Any recommendations between those?

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scholl43 View Post
    I have Tektro R730 brakes that could use some improvement. I've done plenty of reading around this forum that says Kool Stop is the way to go. I'm just wondering which version people would recommend. I don't own a car and commute to work 8 miles RT every week day so the salmon pads sound like they make sense.

Can I basically get the Campi, Dura, or Tectonic with holder and expect them to work on my road bike? Any recommendations between those?
    iirc, you would get the Dura Ace cartridge pads. that;s what I have on my road bike with Tektro dual pivots and my Shimano CX70 cantis
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Yokozuna Scott-Mathauser Brake Pads can also be a good option. Excel Sports Boulder has them onsale for $5.88 a pair.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by renedelbarco View Post
    Yokozuna Scott-Mathauser Brake Pads can also be a good option. Excel Sports Boulder has them onsale for $5.88 a pair.
    With the brakes I have, would I only need the inserts or both the inserts and holder?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scholl43 View Post
    With the brakes I have, would I only need the inserts or both the inserts and holder?
    Kool Stop salmon for dura-ace fit my tektro cartridgs just fine.

work great.
    Marco Pantani died for your sins.

" I guess most guys don't think of themselves as larvae, but hey, we're all lucky that pterodactyls are no longer ruling the skies." ~Bob Roll

2011 GT GTR Series 2
    Blog: Riding With Cancer

RoadBikeReview Member
    ...thread dredge...

I've been looking around, and I'm scratching my head a little...what are my options for running Kool Stops with Paul's catilevers, anyway?
    "'complicated, diverse creature' is adspeak for a d-bag..."
    -- stevesbike

RoadBikeReview Member
    yeesh, never mind. I found them..the other places I had looked just didn't have the right part.
    "'complicated, diverse creature' is adspeak for a d-bag..."
    -- stevesbike

Game on, b*tches!
    FWIW-I like the Koolstop with the 3 types of compound for cross. Don't need the salmon's unless it's always wet and muddy. But that's just me.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    +1 to Kram... the Tektronics are really nice!!! I currently run all salmon on my race bike cause they were cheap and available, but have had the tektronics on my bikes in the past... made my crappy oryx brakes usable!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JChasse View Post
    ...thread dredge...

I've been looking around, and I'm scratching my head a little...what are my options for running Kool Stops with Paul's catilevers, anyway?
    You want a pad holder like this

BTI | Avid Shorty-6 cartridge pads, threaded - black pr

You're LBS can order them or something similar by another mfg. I use them with my Paul Mini Motos.