RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007

Leather Top tube protector

yes i know it looks kind of funny and is heavier than nothing at all, but I prefer funny and a little heavier than a dented frame..

I took a really thick piece of leather about 4mm thick, shave the edges on a 30deggre angle on each end, so they end up being the same wall thickness as the rest of the strap.

Sorry I guess i need to take better pictures.

Anyway my Empella features some really skinny aluminum tubes and I'm sure they can get dented if the bars impact the top tube after a fall or just a bad dismount.

This time I glue the leather to a layer of tape to not damage the frame finish in anyway, but i think making the leather wet (so it expants and then shrink) and then sawing it will be even nicer (like old handlebar wrappings)

I hope this helps others in search of protection.
    "I used to Complain about my Shoes, until I meet a fellow with out his Feet"

d2p
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    better padding on the handlebars?

You call that running?
    Having your front wheel whip around really hard swinging the bars into the frame isn't exactly a common scenario. Have you considered the possibility that you may have uglified your Empella unnecessarily? I mean if it gives you piece of mind and you don't care how it looks that's cool. Light aluminum frames can get damaged in crashes, but I think you have single out one of the more unlikely ways it could happen. Track riders use tt protectors because they don't have any gear or brake cable to slow down a spinning handlebar.

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid
    Track riders use tt protectors because they don't have any gear or brake cable to slow down a spinning handlebar.
    Also, they don't usually have the bar wrapped at the point where it would contact the TT.

duh...

eat live sleep cross
    it is a cross bike...

who cares what it looks like...

dented scratched...

is this a dry race bike only? never sees any mud? ya never grab a tube and slide it all muddy onto the shoulder?

*shrug*

but hey - if it works for you... cool...

i'm kinda with BSNYC when it comes to top tube pads...
    "People who don't do it, don't quite understand it.
    People who do, know, intrinsically, as soon as you try it you are hooked on it.
    Once you race cross, it is hard not to."
    -Pure Sweet Hell

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid
    Having your front wheel whip around really hard swinging the bars into the frame isn't exactly a common scenario. Have you considered the possibility that you may have uglified your Empella unnecessarily? I mean if it gives you piece of mind and you don't care how it looks that's cool. Light aluminum frames can get damaged in crashes, but I think you have single out one of the more unlikely ways it could happen. Track riders use tt protectors because they don't have any gear or brake cable to slow down a spinning handlebar.
    Thanks for the feedback senor.

All your points are well taken.

maybe i need to explain something, many years ago I crack the toptube of a Yeti ARC that I love very much (and cost my a Sh^t load of money) after a small spill when the bars (not even barends) when into the top tube and made a sizable dent, two weeks later the frame was broken , so i guess i'm a little paranoid about the issue.

Besides I'm not made of money and I need to protect my equipment as much as possible specially if I hope to re-sell it someday.

d2p
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Many, many years ago when I raced track I wrapped tape around my top tube to protect it (back in the days of cloth hb tape) where the bars could hit it. At the end of the season I took everything apart and unwrapped the tube to discover that despite my "protective" tape, it had been dented. Fortunately I was able to get it rolled out by a framebuilder/repairer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Tires?

Hey what kind of tires are those?

I am looking for just those colors for a bike of mine, sorry to be off-topic...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Also, they don't usually have the bar wrapped at the point where it would contact the TT.
    +1

steel bars without tape = dents
    why someone would add the protector when the bar is padded with tape = poser
    now pardon me as i jump on my fixie with 8" straight bars and zip to the cafe for an espresso

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    Because I like to Make things..

Actually I think that leather looks kind of pretty, their wrap around is far nicer than mine, i just took a piece of leather I have hanging around..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsperityRed
    Hey what kind of tires are those?

I am looking for just those colors for a bike of mine, sorry to be off-topic...
    i have no idea, i need to look.

So far they kind of suck, they drift a little to much and they sink to easy and lose control in soft sand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    look like Hutchinson's to me...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles
    look like Hutchinson's to me...
    I think that is what they are...

sorry I keep forgetting to check the brand.