RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Looking for SSCX Disc Frame Suggestions

I want to build up a SSCX Disc bike for cross season. Unfortunately, the two leading candidates are out of the running. The latest on the Traitor Crusade is that it will not be available until possibly October, and the On-One Dirty Disco is no longer listed on the US distributor's website.

I am set on getting a disc bike which drastically narrows the field. The only other candidate I can find is the Civilian Le Roi Le Veut D'Lux which looks like a nice fit albeit quite heavy given it has a carbon fork and is approximately the same weight as the steel fork Traitor.

Any other suggestions?

I'd actually consider custom but for the fact that I want to have the bike built up and shaken down by the end of the month.

Thanks in advance...

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    A chinese carbon frame for a chino-cross bike?
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    A chinese carbon frame for a chino-cross bike?
    Damn, they snaked my paint design. Also, not to take away from the marketing effort, but that Fanatic 'CX2' is also marketed direct from China and can be ordered from Dengfu with custom paint for nearly half the price.
    Michael - There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

CX'er
    Pricey but has discs and can take a belt.

Spot Brand Bicycles Product Page Mod Disc SS

And then there's this one, which I know nothing about except it is a steel sscx bike with disc brakes

Raleigh Bicycles Furley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Second the BEER EBB. I have one on my MTB, and it's the bee's pajamas. Or something.

Los
    "My pit bike is a six-pack."
    -Hodala CX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I have one on my MTB, and it's the bee's pajamas. Or something.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GasX View Post
    I want to build up a SSCX Disc bike for cross season. Unfortunately, the two leading candidates are out of the running. The latest on the Traitor Crusade is that it will not be available until possibly October, and the On-One Dirty Disco is no longer listed on the US distributor's website.

I am set on getting a disc bike which drastically narrows the field. The only other candidate I can find is the Civilian Le Roi Le Veut D'Lux which looks like a nice fit albeit quite heavy given it has a carbon fork and is approximately the same weight as the steel fork Traitor.

Any other suggestions?

I'd actually consider custom but for the fact that I want to have the bike built up and shaken down by the end of the month.

Thanks in advance...
    What size?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Genesis Bikes - Day 01 Discs?
    Other non-disc options at sscx.me

But any disc frame should do if you looked at the On-One DD (I've built that one as a SS CX bike)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    What size?
    something in the neighborhood of 55cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sscx View Post
    Genesis Bikes - Day 01 Discs?
    Other non-disc options at sscx.me

But any disc frame should do if you looked at the On-One DD (I've built that one as a SS CX bike)
    I haven't seen a way to get the Genesis as a frame but I will look again.

As fr your Dirty Disco - I love how it looks. My big challenge with a vertical drop-out bike is that I want to use the White Industries Double Double cranks so I can run a dingle speed. That would require a square taper eccentric bottom bracket which as far as I can tell does not exist...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I haven't seen a way to get the Genesis as a frame but I will look again.

As fr your Dirty Disco - I love how it looks. My big challenge with a vertical drop-out bike is that I want to use the White Industries Double Double cranks so I can run a dingle speed. That would require a square taper eccentric bottom bracket which as far as I can tell does not exist...
    Then do an eccentric hub instead, like the WI.

karl j.
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    Then do an eccentric hub instead, like the WI.
    +1 for the WI Eccentric ENO hub, then you can use practically any frame you want. I rode one SSCX for two seasons and 30 races. I found the trick to get good chain tension was a little light pressure from a 19mm cone wrench to rotate the wheel back/forward, then tighten the 6mm bolts in a couple stages, and you're good to go.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    something in the neighborhood of 55cm
    Hmmmm......mine may be a hair too big. It's a 56 cm top tube. It's currently in the jig though so won't be complete for another 2 weeks at least (including powdercoat). True Temper S3 head tube, seat tube, seat stays, chain stays and KVA stainless top and down tube. Paragon Rockers. All silver fillet brazed. Internal rear routing. No braze-ons at all. Fork will be Wound Up with anodized black parts. Pure SS CX race bike.

If you are in any way, shape or form interested just give me a shout. It was to be my display and race bike but I can always make another for myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    How about the Crusade?

http://www.traitorcycles.com/2013/Bikes_Crusade.cfm?Token={ts_2013-08-05_13:52:14}-afdc476afc9d9b2f-1E2B31E0-0C6D-9567-6713F077C052F221

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    How about the Crusade?

http://www.traitorcycles.com/2013/Bikes_Crusade.cfm?Token={ts_2013-08-05_13:52:14}-afdc476afc9d9b2f-1E2B31E0-0C6D-9567-6713F077C052F221
    Read the OP.

It's not going to be available until at least October.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    Hmmmm......mine may be a hair too big. It's a 56 cm top tube. It's currently in the jig though so won't be complete for another 2 weeks at least (including powdercoat). True Temper S3 head tube, seat tube, seat stays, chain stays and KVA stainless top and down tube. Paragon Rockers. All silver fillet brazed. Internal rear routing. No braze-ons at all. Fork will be Wound Up with anodized black parts. Pure SS CX race bike.

If you are in any way, shape or form interested just give me a shout. It was to be my display and race bike but I can always make another for myself.

Just an FYI....pre-powder, this frame weighed in at 1636g. Could have been lighter had I not went with internal routing.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Damn, they snaked my paint design. Also, not to take away from the marketing effort, but that Fanatic 'CX2' is also marketed direct from China and can be ordered from Dengfu with custom paint for nearly half the price.
    Which model?