Formosan Cyclocross

Magura and DEDA parts?

Hi guys,

I'm converting my cross bike into an urban commute of death bike for the Spring and Summer. I brought my parts list to my builder and he is suggesting some alternatives...i.e. aluminum DEDA bars, stem and post.... also Magura disk rotors for Shimano Rd disk brakes. I am not too familiar with these brands for a cross bike... any input?

What'd I do?
    Depends on what the Deda stuff would replace, and which Deda stuff you're going to use.

I don't know why he'd suggest Magura rotors. Are you getting the brakes new? They should come with rotors.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I can't remember the model.... it was a bit of a surprise. I was requesting Ritchey Biomax or Salsa Poco (I'm 5'6" 140). The brakes are new for commuting safety in a city without traffic laws. My builder got the Shimano BR 505R, but no rotors. We've been wrangling over parts for a while (long story). He's trying to match the stem/post/bars for aesthetic reasons. He is also pushing an Ultegra crank set over FSA Mega Exo.

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dajianshan
    I can't remember the model.... it was a bit of a surprise. I was requesting Ritchey Biomax or Salsa Poco (I'm 5'6" 140). The brakes are new for commuting safety in a city without traffic laws. My builder got the Shimano BR 505R, but no rotors.
    I don't see any reason not to go with Magura. If the rotors are not included, it comes down to cost, availabilty & aesthetics. Performance isn't going to be an issue for your application.

We've been wrangling over parts for a while (long story). He's trying to match the stem/post/bars for aesthetic reasons.
    Stem and post should match as closely as possible. Same color at the very least. Same finish better (both shiny or both matte). Same brand even better than that. Same series (where applicable) better still. That's just common sense.

Picking handlebars to match the post/stem is going too far though. If anything, matching the bars to the stem should be avoided. The only exception is putting a black anodized bar on a bike with a polished silver quill stem. If you have such a stem, you need a polished silver bar.

You should pick the bar based on function. If you have some ergonomic reason for wanting a small bar (Poco) or unconventionally shaped bar (Biomax) then you should stand your ground. Both are unconventional for different reasons though, so it is odd that you want one or the other.

He is also pushing an Ultegra crank set over FSA Mega Exo.
    Good man.

Formosan Cyclocross
    The bars, I'm just looking for a tight drop... something I can muscle around and climb with. My TT is pretty long, so a little compensation there too.

The biggest problem I see with the rotors...... Now imagine this on a bright orange frame...with orange King hubs..... (hubs the builder was trying to switch out with Shimano..grrrrrrr!) the inside of the rotors is anodized HOT PINK! I'm thinking "no" on those...unless they're somehow really baddass.

Anyway...the whole thing should come in around 17lbs

Number 2 on the course.
    The biggest problem I see with the rotors...... Now imagine this on a bright orange frame...with orange King hubs..... (hubs the builder was trying to switch out with Shimano..grrrrrrr!) the inside of the rotors is anodized HOT PINK! I'm thinking "no" on those...unless they're somehow really baddass.
    Well, pink and orange could work, but it would take someone who really knows what they are doing to pull it off. I am not sure I would try to talk someone else into that combo.

Formosan Cyclocross
    PBB.. you might know what I'm talking about. You had a Las Cruces for a minute, didn't you?. Think of it with all those busy graphics...and then add hot pink to the mix.

Number 2 on the course.
    PBB.. you might know what I'm talking about. You had a Las Cruces for a minute, didn't you?. Think of it with all those busy graphics...and then add hot pink to the mix.
    Nope, never had a Las Cruces. I know the color scheme well though. (I do have a Mango King headset). I think adding pink to that would be a stretch. Unless you were really a rainbow sherbert fan or something (and had a set of green Michelin tires stashed away).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Formosan Cyclocross
    Like a party napkin on acid!...though how'd you get a party napkin to drop acid is boyond me...

What'd I do?
    The bars, I'm just looking for a tight drop... something I can muscle around and climb with. My TT is pretty long, so a little compensation there too.

Anyway...the whole thing should come in around 17lbs
    Did he design the frame? He may have designed with a certain reach in mind. Tell him you want the short drop, and he may be able to make a recommendation that works with the frame. Otherwise, stick with what you want. The Salsa Poco has a short reach as well, so that would change things a bit.

Formosan Cyclocross
    Ah! Deda Newton Bars... They seem kinda close to the Biomax