RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Mavic Mach 2 Rims?

A friend of mine at the LBS gave me some Mavic Mach 2 CD rims (32H). He had pulled them form someone's bike and had them sitting around. He also has a huge box of spokes that i can choose from for free. So, all i need to do is get some hubs.

Are the Mavic Mach 2's worth building up? I know they are a bit heavy but i weigh about 185 and want something durable and stiff as hell (read: any sort of flex in Road wheels drive me nuts, not sure about CX wheels though).

Basically, is it worth it to build these up for just the price of the hubs or should i wait a while and buy some other rims to build up like some Velocities, Mavic Reflex, etc...

RoadBikeReview Member
    At 185, they would be a great rim for you. They are very strong. Plus, they are retro. That is the rim Lemond used on his front wheel in the final 1989 Tour de France TT; knowing that should make you about 2 mph faster right off the bat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    i have some 28 hole mac 2s on my track bike (and an extra just in case) they are heavy duty and would make a good cx wheel.

Old, slow, and fat.
    I'm running a Mach2CD2 on my front wheel 'cause I never got around to relacing it with the Velocity Escape that was 'supposed' to go on there. That second rim has since gone on the rear to replace a 'dimpled' rim (darn baby head rocks!).

Dependable, durable, not very light, etc are all good descriptions of that rim. Run em till they get damaged and call it good!

HTH,

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!