Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    will be was

Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium

Finally bike tuned and ready, today I took it for 8 mile ride, it feels very predictable and shifting very crisp, bike is very light for me, it came with Shimano 105 pedals, but I only use MTB pedals, you'll see M540 on the bike. Bar top brakes are pushed outside you might notice in some of the pictures I'm fine with it even with full winter glove but some people with large hands might have issue this bike is 49 cm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium-team-ti-025-medium-.jpg   Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium-team-ti-023-medium-.jpg   Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium-team-ti-021-medium-.jpg   Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium-team-ti-017-medium-.jpg   Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium-team-ti-016-medium-.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I was just looking at one of these the other day. A friend has one and really likes it. I need something to commute to work year-round and I'd like to race (nothing serious) cross next year.

How do you like the brakes?

will be was
    Avids on this Moto are pretty strong for me. I have Fuji cross comp with tectro onyx, so I can feel the difference immediately that Avids are stronger, only think is that bar top brakes are pushed outside for some people with full winter gloves it might feel to tight, for me they are just my size even with full gloves.

RoadBikeReview Member
    nice! I just picked one up myself (I got the Rival version) and it's due to arrive this Friday! I can't wait! If the bike looks half as good as your photos, it's a win! How is the ride? What do you mean that the bar brakes are pushed out? This will be my first cx bike so I'm not too familiar with the placement of the top bar brake levers.
    "Ride it like you stole it!"

will be was
    suasponte2/75

If you look at the picture, handle bar brakes are mounted close to the hoods. I'll try to give you better image in few days, but I wouldn't be concerned, if I were you. Bike looks better than my pictures, it is me and my chipo camera. It has a great ride in my opinion.
    I'm sure you would have the same experience.

your text here
    What's your inseam? How is the ti ride.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    nice rig! +1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Nice bike. I am thinking of a cross bike, perhaps this one, next year though. Upgraded the road bike and no more marriage capital for a cross this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How heavy did yours come out to be? I'm curious as I got the same size (49cm) in the Rival build-up and it came out to 20.6lbs w/o the pedals. I'm wondering what the weight difference was for the Ultegra build.

will be was
    weltyed

The geometry is all ready on the web site, and what to measure? Do you think I'm 4 footer or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?
    Here some more of my ride, and it is re weighted at 17.7 lbs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Damn! That's a 3lb difference! I would have never figured it to be that large of a difference since I assumed it was the same frame, just slightly different parts.

your text here
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Be Was View Post
    weltyed

The geometry is all ready on the web site, and what to measure? Do you think I'm 4 footer or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? ]
    Maybe I was gonna buy you some nice slacks for chaunnukka. Are the sites measurements accurate? Does it feel true to fit? The frame I would be replacing is a 50 because that company skipped the 52 size.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    The rival is supposed to be lighter than the ultegra 6700 isnt it?

So i'm wondering why the ultra one ("pro") is lighter than the rival ("team" and cheaper too)

can you use any of them with a straight handle bar for regular hydraulic brakes?

bmn
    banned
    Jul 2011
    the team is lighter due to lighter wheels and some other parts. the ultegra 6700 is nearly as light as the rival now.

so those other parts in the team build make most of the difference. if you replace the rival build's wheels and so on, you'll hve a light bike too. (and a better deal maybe)

would be good if they sold frames-only hehe. that said the team is still a good "stock" deal.
    the pro, i don't know. its cheaper yes, and rival is just fine really compared to ultegra 6700 but weight is a bit off for a TI bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoubiwah View Post
    The rival is supposed to be lighter than the ultegra 6700 isnt it?

So i'm wondering why the ultra one ("pro") is lighter than the rival ("team" and cheaper too)

can you use any of them with a straight handle bar for regular hydraulic brakes?
    Yeah... I dunno if I believe the weight given by Will Be Was is accurate (17.7/stock).... I just tossed on my road training wheels (1600g) with Conti 4000s tires (200g each), a SRAM red crank (used the stock chainrings) and it was still over 18lbs. CX racing weight w/ Kysrium Elites (1700g) and Michelin Mud2s (advertised at 340g each) is still a hair over 19lbs. Those wheelset and grouppo can't be that much lighter... unless they've added some lead to my frame somewhere .

RoadBikeReview Member
    I also don't see why you wouldn't be able to toss some hydraulics and a straight bar on there. You'll also have to switch out the shifting mechs too me thinks. Although for cross I think it'd be overkill.

RFC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Well done! The Fantom Ti looks like a great deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bmn View Post
    would be good if they sold frames-only hehe. that said the team is still a good "stock" deal.
    Check BikeIsland.com - they seem to have the frame only for sale from time to time, but the complete bike's a pretty good deal when you figure in the component cost.

bmn
    banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by suasponte2/75 View Post
    Yeah... I dunno if I believe the weight given by Will Be Was is accurate (17.7/stock).... I just tossed on my road training wheels (1600g) with Conti 4000s tires (200g each), a SRAM red crank (used the stock chainrings) and it was still over 18lbs. CX racing weight w/ Kysrium Elites (1700g) and Michelin Mud2s (advertised at 340g each) is still a hair over 19lbs. Those wheelset and grouppo can't be that much lighter... unless they've added some lead to my frame somewhere .
    the vuelta team wheels are 1400g but yeah, that's only 200g diff so if you've 18lbs after replacing wheels, it sounds off.. which well, is sad :P 17-18 for a ti bike like this one is nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bmn View Post

the pro, i don't know. its cheaper yes, and rival is just fine really compared to ultegra 6700 but weight is a bit off for a TI bike.

If you are still interested in the TI frame-only, you can find it at a site called

bikeisland.com

or follow this link:

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=2116

Hope it helps.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxyz View Post
    If you are still interested in the TI frame-only, you can find it at a site called

bikeisland.com

or follow this link:

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=2116

Hope it helps.
    Work for them do you?
    Isnotimpressedbystoreboughtplasticbikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Work for them do you?
    No just being helpful like others who gave the same link. I wanted the same frame myself, found it and thought you would like to know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

2012 Motobecane Phantom CX Team TI

Just got this bike on September 6, actually three days before Bikes Direct said it would ship. $1,999 is a great price for this ride. At my advanced age, I am in the game for lifetime bikes and titanium is the material of choice.

The bike was in good shape right out of the box. Some derailleur adjustment necessary, but nothing serious. No damage to anything, though a full round of checking torque revealed some slightly loose parts. Bikes Direct even threw in a set of Shimano 105 road pedals, which I appreciate, but won't probably use as all my bikes are set up for SPD.

Never even applied the Avid Shorty 4s in anger, just took them off and mounted Avid BB7 Platinum road discs (160mm front, 140mm rear). Everything went smoothly as the Vuelta SRP Team wheels were disc ready. Looks pretty darn custom.

Swapped out the Ritchey saddle for my Selle Italia, pulled off the top bar brake levers, and mounted up a set of Shimano PD-985 pedals. Also took off the Kendas and put on a set of 25mm Conti Gatorskins. Needed to do some fidgeting with the brake hood locations, etc. as the Taiwan crew does not seem to get the bar placement right, though they do a beautiful job on the handlebar tape. Ready for the mean streets in about 4 hours of fussing.

Okay, I am starting off from a position of being totally spoiled by my Litespeed. The Team is not a true road bike in that it has a higher bottom bracket, longer stays/fork and generally feels taller. But I bought it to be a commuter and a mule and also to ride single track and CX. Asking a lot of one bike. With the road tires, it is very fast and lively; I will take it on some road bike rides, for sure. It does not carve in fast corners like the Litespeed, but it is extremely stable at speed. Stiffness may eventually be a problem. In current trim, at 120 psi, it feeds back every dust mote on the pavement, though not in a bad way. Just a lot of information and that can be fatiguing or fun depending on the day.

But, I do have the perspective of hammering on a Phantom Cross Pro (aluminum/carbon) for a couple of years. This bike is about the same weight as the aluminum Pro, after installing the disc brakes. Threw the Kendas back on this weekend for some single track. Predictably, it has a more supple ride than the Pro and the stiffness of the bottom end is at least 20% greater. Therefore, the Team TI accelerates and climbs a bit better. The handling is noticeably different, however. I attribute it to the extremely stiff fork on the Team bike. More accuracy, but less forgiveness in the rough. The brakes are my first venture into discs and I am glad I went there: super powerful, easy to modulate, and no worrying heat build up or worn rim issues or forearm fatigue. Overall, this is a step up from the Pro, which I'm probably going to give to my kid.

I am a confirmed SRAM user and it takes some adjustment to get back on a Shimano STI system. I'll get used to the Ultegra stuff eventually.The ratios on the Ultegra are definitely different from the SRAM. Less linear and lower ratio in the bottom end of the spectrum. But silky smooth, quiet and precise. May go to a 50T front ring eventually to better work my commute and those long downhills.

As a commuter bike, the Team will be a lifetime member of my stable. I plan to ride it all weather, all year and show no mercy. This is no princess bike. Will update after a couple thousand miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I recently purchased one of these off of craigslist and have been using it as a commuter thus far. My question is regarding the rack mounts. They are so close to the weld points that I cannot find a rack to attach without some kind of filing. There is just not very much flat space. Has anyone installed a rack on this bike yet and if so, were you able to do this without significantly filing down the lower attach points?

HTFU!
    Yikes, my Motobecane Ti Team Cross came in at 20.05 lbs and it is set up as a roadie.
    Here are the changes:
    seat, Terry Fly
    Post, Thomson
    Tubes, Schwalbe
    Tires, Schwalbe Durano
    small ring, FSA 32 (swapped out the 34)
    removed the cross-top brakes
    Added: 309g spd pedals and two lightweight bottle cages.
    Also put on new bar tape.
    Did not think I would be adding weight to the bike, but whatever...it rides wonderfully. Could not be happier with it (unless it was <19lbs). ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast