Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

My Empella

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DM.Aelis 
#1 ·
Alright, so it's not technically done because I still have to glue up the tubies, but here she is in all her glory!

This will be my first cross season so I really spoiled myself here with my first cross bike. I've been building it up slowly for over a year, scoring a pair of pedals here, bottom bracket there, handlebar and all of it until it was ready to build! Let me tell you, if you get your parts and tires and such on good deals in the off season you can save a killer amount of dough!

Total build came in under $1250!

Frame: Empella Bonfire
Levers: Campagnolo Chorus 1x10 (39t single ring up front, 11-25 in the back)
Handlebar: Deda Newton alloy round traditional drop
Stem: Thomson X2 road 110mm - 10deg stem
Cranks: Chorus 172.5 alloy - 39t single ring - with record square taper BB
Wheelset: Ambrosio Nemesis tubular, Record Hubs, Sapim spokes, 32h 3x
Tires: Since doubles as my road race wheels, haven't swapped out for my Challenge Grifo 34s, which will be my only tire setup.
Brakes: Spooky's with SwissStop green pads
Saddle: Fizik Arione
Post: Specialized Carbon (had it laying around...should i make it a priority to change this out to an alloy post?)
Pedals: Shimano XTR (I know I know it ruins the Euro build, but I got a great deal and I was tired of waiting for some nice ATAC's to come around on fleabay)

I'll give a ride report as soon as I get a chance : )

PS Apologies in advance for crappy cell phone pics.

See less See more
#4 ·
Humm...looks somewhat familiar. Nice job!:thumbsup:

#6 ·
seahuston said:
Very nice, now all thats left is to take out the left shift lever
I know! Haven't bothered to do that yet!

And the extra cable is dangling off of those brakes as I've got a buddy who's going to do the "Final tune" on the canti's to really make em right. I've never set them up before, and just kind of did it, so once they're dialed like a pro I'll cut off the excess and such.

PS Anyone have any instructions to remove that shift lever on the left side? And I figure the thumb button as well...

#7 ·
L. Shifter removal...

Items that make the job easier: a vice, and high quality 4 and 5mm allan wrenches without the wobbly-end feature so you can clamp them in the vice.

Pretty much take off the brake lever (punch out the pin).
Remove the guts.
Keep all the parts and visit the campy website for the exploded-view diagram for when you put it all back together.

I rebuild mine with new parts about every other season at this point, although this year I've decided to just toss on an old aero lever and be done with it to save me the hassle for when I convert the cx back to commuter status in January. YMMV, atmo, etc, etc.

#8 ·
epicxt said:
Items that make the job easier: a vice, and high quality 4 and 5mm allan wrenches without the wobbly-end feature so you can clamp them in the vice.

Pretty much take off the brake lever (punch out the pin).
Remove the guts.
Keep all the parts and visit the campy website for the exploded-view diagram for when you put it all back together.

I rebuild mine with new parts about every other season at this point, although this year I've decided to just toss on an old aero lever and be done with it to save me the hassle for when I convert the cx back to commuter status in January. YMMV, atmo, etc, etc.
Thanks for the help!

The more I think about it, the best/easiest answer might be to just snag a Tektro brake lever to replace that nice chorus left shifter. I have a propensity for losing small parts, and I'd hate to misplace the shifting paddle in the black hole of my toolbox over the cross season!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.