MTBR Member

My first cross bike - Rocky Mountain Solo CX

I just picked it up today. If you want just look at the pictures.

For a little background; I've been primarily a mountain biker since about 2002. Last spring, i bought my first road bike. It was an old steel Pinarello, with some questionable component choices. I put about 1400km on it, with a lot of that being commuting to my summer job last year. But, for my solo adventures, and "training rides" i found that the bike was not quite what i really wanted. I would ride across the city, and then find that there were some trails there. But, 20c tires, and trails don't mix well. I wanted more versatility. I wanted drop bars. I wanted a more appropriate range of gears.

I'm a student, and did not want to spend too much, but did not want to cheap out. I did a little research, and looked at a few bikes. After a little thought, my heart was set on a 2008 Rocky Mountain Solo CX. So, I went to my LBS of choice, and it just so happened that they had a 2007 Solo CX in stock, in my size. Perfect. I'll take it. In 2008, they pretty much just changed the saddle, and raised the price. So, the bike gave me the 9 speed Tiagra drivetrain I wanted, for the price I wanted. I'll probably take it for a good shake down ride tomorrow.

Specs:

Brakeset Avid Shorty 4 brakes, Shimano Tiagra levers
    Shift Levers Shimano Tiagra
    Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra
    Rear Derailleur Shimano 105
    Crankset FSA Omega, 36/48 teeth
    Pedals Shimano PD-M505
    Bottom Bracket FSA Mega EXO
    BB Shell Width Unspecified
    Rear Cogs SRAM 12-26
    Chain Shimano Tiagra
    Seatpost Easton EA30
    Saddle Selle San Marco Ponza
    Handlebar Easton EA30
    Handlebar Stem Easton EA30
    Headset FSA

Wheels Hand Built
    Hubs Shimano Tiagra
    Rims Alex ACE-18
    Tires 700 x 34c Vittoria Cross XG Pro

note, this is as i picked it up. the saddle got raised a little, in case you think it looks low in the pictures.
    Last edited by rkj__; 06-16-2008 at 05:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

congrats!

hope you have lots of fun with your new toy!

d2p
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Enjoy it! the season is getting closer . . . .

MTBR Member

Season?

Quote Originally Posted by d2p
    Enjoy it! the season is getting closer . . . .
    I don't have any immediate plans to race, as I am always buried with school work during the fall. I'll be doing most of my riding on the MTB this summer, and yeah, the cross bike will see more action in spring and fall, and will spend its winter's on the trainer.

I took it for its debut ride today. I rode road for about 19km, which took me to some trails that they use for the local MTB race series. I rode the course, and then took the road back. ~55-60km for the day. I liked it! I'm definitely glad that i had them switch the gearing from 48/38, 12-25, to 48/36, 12-26. The lower gears came in handy on the trails. I was very impressed with the traction i got from the Vittoria tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    You obviously haven't ridden the vittorias in the wet yet. ;)

Congrats on your first CX bike. Try a race. You won't regret it (well, immediately upon hearing the gun go off you might, but afterwards you'll be happy you tried it out).

Review RoadBike Member
    RKJ. This is basically the reason I bought my CX bike. VERSATILITY! I am going to try to ride some CX races this fall, if I don't like them I won't be too disappointed, I still have an awesome "do all" bike.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbeaver
    You obviously haven't ridden the vittorias in the wet yet. ;)
    Are you implying that they are good, or bad in the wet? I'm guessing they are good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I just ordered a SOLO CXD. I ride MTB's everyday and wanted to try a little road. I want to build up a wheel set for this bike. I can not find a ref for the rear hub spacing 135mm? Can someone help?

MTBR Member
    I strongly suspect that the frame on the CXD is exactly the same as the CX, which would make it standard road spacing - 130mm.

I can't confirm this though.

I live near Igloo's
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1bea95@cox.net
    I just ordered a SOLO CXD. I ride MTB's everyday and wanted to try a little road. I want to build up a wheel set for this bike. I can not find a ref for the rear hub spacing 135mm? Can someone help?
    Probably 130mm.

Both will fit, give'n some "love" 5mm is not alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisteur
    Good call. Mistresses are ten a penny, but a nagging, boat anchor of a wife is hard to find.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja #2
    Both will fit, give'n some "love" 5mm is not alot.
    I'm not sure what the general consensus is about running a 135 hub on a 130 frame. It's better to avoid it, but I guarantee you it has been done before. Often with proper fitting hub, you get about a mm or two of play before tightening the skewer, and hence cramming in a hub that is 5mm wider is only flexing your frame outwards by about 3 or 4mm, which IMO, should be feasible.

Not suggested, but doable.

From a manufacturing/cost point of view, it would make the most sense to have all of the cross frames the same, which is why i suspect the CXD has standard road spacing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

CXD Spacing

The bike has disc brakes? I have been looking for road disc hub but can not find any that is why I am confused. Thanks for the replies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    The spacing is definately 130mm.
    1 option is a wheelset like the Mavic Speedcity. This wheel comes with 135mm out of the box spacing but can be changed to 130mm spacing in about 15 minutes by removing a 2.5mm spacer on each side of the hub. Your other option is to find a hub that has adjustable spacing. Most bike shops will have the spacers that you need to change almost any hub, if not they can be easily ordered in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    i would like to put a set of hope hubs on my bike. they only make 135mm hubs. can someone reccomend a hub maker as an alternative?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Just got my bike today! 135mm rear spacing. I guess I will build up a set wheels with hope hubs now.

MTBR Member
    Just got my bike today! 135mm rear spacing. I guess I will build up a set wheels with hope hubs now.
    Really? I am a little surprised by that, but, it makes finding a rear hub a lot easier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I ride 6-8 miles a day on my 40lb freeride/all mountain rig so the weight diff was huge. I am training for a 150mile ride next year. I am pretty excited!

MTBR Member
    I ride 6-8 miles a day on my 40lb freeride/all mountain rig so the weight diff was huge.
    Yeah, my Rocky takes off down the road like a rocket compared to my (30lb) mountain bike. It even holds its own on some smooth singletrack, but when it comes to rooty trails, the tables turn.

Enjoy your new bike. Got pictures?

Over 100km and over 50 pictures: How I spent Canada Day.