Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

My Rock Lobster "A" bike is ready for action!

Alright gang, my A bike is together and it's pretty ultimate. I'm feeling like a kid at christmas, it doesn't get a lot better than this...

Frame- Custom Rock Lobster, Easton Scandium tubing
    Fork- Easton EC-90x
    Wheels- Easton EC-90 SLX carbon tubulars
    Tires- Challenge Grifo 32
    Cranks- Easton EC-90 SLX crankset
    BB- Easton w/ceramic bearings
    Headset- Chris King 1-1/8"
    Bar- Easton EC-90 SLX Equipe
    Stem- Easton EA-90 100mm
    Seatpost- Easton EA-70
    Pedals- Crank Brothers 4-ti
    Brakes- Paul Neo-retro front, touring rear
    Shifters- Shimano DA
    Front Der.- Shimano DA
    Rear Der.- Shimano Ultegra
    Chain- Shimano Ultegra
    Saddle- Fizik Airione

Total weight: 16.22 lbs

My Rock Lobster "A" bike is ready for action!-abikesideview.jpg

This crazy crank/bb is almost 100g lighter than DA!

My Rock Lobster "A" bike is ready for action!-ec90crank.jpg

My Rock Lobster "A" bike is ready for action!-ec-90nondrive.jpg

My Rock Lobster "A" bike is ready for action!-ec90pinchbolts.jpg

With these carbon wheels, I think this thing is right about 16 lbs- I'll be putting it on a digital scale later today to find out exactly. I'm pretty happy with the shape of the bar too. The big differences between this bike and my B bike is the crank and bar/stem and this bike feels noticable stiffer so I have to attribute that to those parts. The bar/stem seems really stiff. It's going to be really fun to race on this thing sunday!
    Last edited by wunlap togo; 09-19-2008 at 11:57 AM.
    cheaterbar.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    thats a great looking bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

Beautiful!

That's just breathtaking, Josh. Wow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    That is sweeeeet.

I have a question about the Grifos. Which way are they mounted. I.e., when you are looking down on them from the top, does the arrow in the tread point forward or back?

Done with winter.
    Sweet!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostman
    That is sweeeeet.

I have a question about the Grifos. Which way are they mounted. I.e., when you are looking down on them from the top, does the arrow in the tread point forward or back?
    Thanks! I run them pointed forward. I've ridden them both ways and I can't notice a difference. They look cooler pointed forward.
    cheaterbar.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like the gold Pauls.

RoadBikeReview Member
    meh...

just kidding awesome! but what's up with the ultegra stuff? cutting corners ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love the "Easton" theme. Bikes always look best when they have as few brands as possible stuck on them. Excellent choices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowYouRider
    meh...

just kidding awesome! but what's up with the ultegra stuff? cutting corners ;-)
    It's pretty easy to identify the parts I had to buy myself... I shelled out for the DA shifters because the shape is slightly different than Ultegra.
    cheaterbar.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmolloy
    I love the "Easton" theme. Bikes always look best when they have as few brands as possible stuck on them. Excellent choices.
    Thanks! I'm really excited to be putting the Easton stuff to the test. My B bike will be mostly the same, but it will have Shimano DA cranks and Easton EA70x aluminum tubulars which look super nice too.

I'll probably trade that stem out for a -10 degree for both bikes, my bars feel too high on this bike.
    cheaterbar.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cool!
    Me on running at RunningMania.com http://www.runningmania.com/forum/vi...15813&start=50

In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate generously to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
    Proud supporter of local shops!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Nice frickin' rig, but you knew that. I dig the celeste green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is a really nice bike.
    LOOK at that top tube/ headtube/ downtube flair!! WOW

Any idea what the frame alone weighs?

What wheels do you train on and do you swap pads?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 1969
    Very nice ride and my desire for a Rock Lobster has just moved past lust and is bordering on obsession.

Question - what size and whose outer ring are you using? I trust 46T and it looks like an FSA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedH
    Very nice ride and my desire for a Rock Lobster has just moved past lust and is bordering on obsession.

Question - what size and whose outer ring are you using? I trust 46T and it looks like an FSA.
    Yep, I prefer the 46t. It might be an FSA ring, I'm not sure. I'm hoping to have a dura-ace one on there soon, I'm trying to get my hands on a couple.
    cheaterbar.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wunlap togo

I'll probably trade that stem out for a -10 degree for both bikes, my bars feel too high on this bike.
    Josh, is that stem a 0 deg? Let me know how those cranks compare to DA for stiffness & weight, they look pretty sweet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nrspeed
    That is a really nice bike.
    LOOK at that top tube/ headtube/ downtube flair!! WOW

Any idea what the frame alone weighs?

What wheels do you train on and do you swap pads?
    I never did weigh those frames but I think Paul (builder) said they are about 2.75 lbs. He also said that these are pretty much the lightest frames he's built in this size.

I have some really battered, mismatched ultegra/mavic clinchers that I train on. They were abandoned by a customer because the spokes creak and the noise won't go away. I also just got a pair of old blue mavic cosmos that I use as well. I have like 6 or 7 pairs of tubulars for road and cross, I don't ever race on clinchers.
    cheaterbar.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPCX
    Josh, is that stem a 0 deg? Let me know how those cranks compare to DA for stiffness & weight, they look pretty sweet.
    Hey Dave- Yeah that's a 0 deg. I was told that the cranks are almost as stiff as DA and about 100g lighter. Easton claims they are the stiffest carbon crank available. I have no idea how they quantify that, but anyway they're supposed to be pretty stiff. I have a hard time noticing that kind of stuff, especially w/ 34mm tires at 26 psi but whatever- they're stiff! And fancy!
    cheaterbar.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pretender
    Nice frickin' rig, but you knew that. I dig the celeste green.
    Yeah, I'm beyond lucky. This is more bike than I need really. The green is officially known (on our team) as "sea foam green" but it's pretty much celeste. It looks more like celeste in pictures than in real life, but there have been a lot of shades of celeste over the years so we're splittling hairs.
    cheaterbar.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wunlap togo
    Yeah, I'm beyond lucky. This is more bike than I need really. The green is officially known (on our team) as "sea foam green" but it's pretty much celeste. It looks more like celeste in pictures than in real life, but there have been a lot of shades of celeste over the years so we're splittling hairs.
    you sound pretty humble but by reading your post in that "weapons" thread it sounds like this bike isnt TOO much more than you need if any.

Res Firma....
    WOW! That is an awesome set up!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that bad boy set you back?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Nice looking bud. Any reason you went with the headset spacer mounted front cable hanger instead of the one you used previously that comes off the stem face plate? Can you tell a difference?

How do the wheels feel compared to the K's and the deep dish carbon you have used in the past?

Have a great season!!

JT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jt2gt
    Nice looking bud. Any reason you went with the headset spacer mounted front cable hanger instead of the one you used previously that comes off the stem face plate? Can you tell a difference?

How do the wheels feel compared to the K's and the deep dish carbon you have used in the past?

Have a great season!!

JT
    Thanks man! The 4 bolt stem makes the faceplate routing more complicated, I haven't figured out a good way to do it with this stem. The steerer mounted hanger is working so far, I'm hopeful that it doesn't give me problems.

I haven't ridden the carbon wheels yet, I actually just now finished gluing them this evening. Those tires were just stretched on for show. I'm hoping these are tougher than the zipp wheels that I've used (303, 303 pave, 404 rim on Easton Tempest II wheelset). There was only mud around here well after nationals, so the deep rim shape is less important to me. It could get muddy and I'd wish for the deep rim, but this is what they sent me so beggars can't be choosers! At 1185g, they should be pretty sweet for accellerating and spinning up out of corners. I'll try them out on sunday!
    cheaterbar.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    WOW! That is an awesome set up!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that bad boy set you back?
    I'm on the HRS/Rock Lobster team and most of the choicest parts on this bike were sponsored to me. I actually only paid for shifters, derailleurs, saddle, tires and frame Paul charges me time and materials for his frames and I wouldn't have it any other way- that guy is in it for the love and I'm proud to ride his bikes.

I don't even want to add up what a bike like this would cost. There's no way I could afford to buy a bike like this. One of these bikes is worth at least 4 times as much as my car!
    cheaterbar.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast