RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Narrowed down to either Felt F65X or Specialed Tricross Comp Disc

I've been considering a cross bike with disc brakes for awhile and have narrowed it down to either the Felt F65X

or the Specialized TriCross Comp Disc...

I'm leaning towards the Felt, because...
    1. I was able to check it out and It looks sweet!
    2. I found an LBS, which is offering 15% discount.

The only things I don't like about the Felt is that...
    1. Cables are not routed internally, so I'm worried about the shifter cables, which are exposed. I'm thinking of using Gore Ride-On shifter cables to replace the regular shifter cables.
    2. I have fewer choices in rear racks, because there are no eyelets near the dropout and the rear disc brakes get in the way. I have to use those seatpost type racks or racks that attach using the skewer. I'm considering either the Arkel Randonneur Rack or the Blackburn EX-1 Disc Rack.
    3. Front rotors are 160mm, rears are 140mm.

I haven't tried the Tricross Comp Disc yet, since I none of the LBSs have it in stock. I have ridden the Tricross Sport in my size, just to get a feel for the bikes geometry.

The only things I like about the Tricross are...
    1. Cables are routed internally.
    2. There are eyelets on the fork and the seatstays for real fenders
    3. Avid BB7 brakes, compared to BB5 on the Felt.

The only things I don't like about the Tricross is that...
    1. From what I understand, it's not really a true cross bike, compared to the Felt.

I'm not sure if the secondary brakes on the TriCross are a pro or con.

A few questions to the pros...
    1. Which bike has a better frame?
    2. The Felt has 160mm/140mm (Front/Rear) brake rotors, will this be a big factor?
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004
    What are you going to use the bikes for? Those two are polar opposites, the only similarity is they are 700c and have discs. If you are racing get the Felt, if not, get the Specialized.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I would initially use it as a heavy training bike for road races, then eventually move onto cyclocross races. Secondary would be use it as a light commuter, which is why I prefer something with a rack mount.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheRivet View Post
    What are you going to use the bikes for? Those two are polar opposites, the only similarity is they are 700c and have discs. If you are racing get the Felt, if not, get the Specialized.
    Just wondering how are they considered opposites? I'm not doubting you, but I just want to be better informed. I know when I spoke to the guy regarding the Specialized, he mentioned that it was a cyclocross bike, though I'm sure he's just telling me what I want to hear.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Can't really speak to the geometry differences, since the Spec website is down, but the Felt is equipped for Cx races: you could take it out on a race course as is. It has cross tires, cross crank, tapered steerer (1.125 to 1.5) and maybe lighter fork (carbon/alu).

Spec has commuter tires, compact crank (50/34 won't work in a CX race: need closer gearing than that) non tapered steerer so won't be as stiff.

Felt looks like better deal. Looks like a beefier down tube. I'm guessing lighter frame. Felt does have fender eyelets (go to their website and zoom in). Also, Felt has post mounts in front but IS mounts in rear, so you can switch to 160s. You seem hung up on internal routing. To me that's just a silly fad.

Some don't like the external downtube cables. You will probably be wearing gloves when you race.
    Last edited by mudrock; 08-24-2012 at 09:09 PM.