RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Need a light low priced disc frame for the road

Sorry to be in the CX forum but that seems to be where all the disc knowledge lives.

I'm itching to see the new BikesDirect bikes but September is a ways off.

Best options I've seen so far were a used Salsa Las Cruces (why don't they still make it ?)

Or perhaps this BikesDirect cafe sprint:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...print_disc.htm

I like that it has the 135mm rear spacing. I think their CX bikes are 130mm which seems like it would be a pretty limited wheel selection.

Maybe by Sea Otter there will be lost of new upcoming stuff but either way, it's a bit of a wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    If you can find a Las Cruces...scoop it up. I was lucky enough to find a leftover new frame in the summer of 09...an 07 model I think. A wonderful bike, very stiff and responsive.

My modest build-full Rival, Avid BB7's, Salsa scandium stem, Bell Lap bar and seatpost, Fizik orange test saddle, and Speed Dream wheelset-Velocity rims/DT 240 hubs, etc.

Bike weight's just a wisker over 20lbs...and I run 70 x38's on it too.

Great bike.

Good luck!

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Soma double cross has a disc version. I have a cantilever double cross, and the only thing I would even consider trading it for would be for the disc version.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I just got a Planet X Uncle John frame, it has disc mounts and can take road or mtb hubs. The frame looks well built.

Salsa Vaya could be an option if you like the geo and the stouter build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Double Post.
    Last edited by Enzyme_00; 02-26-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Double post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LC
    Soma double cross has a disc version. I have a cantilever double cross, and the only thing I would even consider trading it for would be for the disc version.
    +1. I got the disc version for the lovely "midnight silver" color. But I'm running it with cantis. Nice frameset. Not high-dollar or custom nice, but satisfying. I'm really liking the ride quality from the Tange Prestige tubing as well... slightly stiffer than your average QBP 4130 "brand beginning with 's' bike" but with a lovely compliance at the same time.

op: Don't know what you mean by light, but the DC isn't a tank... but its still steel. The Ti Vaya from Salsa might build up a better bike... but I wouldn't know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I loved my Las Cruces. It sure built up into one nice looking bike. If I hadn't gotten a size too large, I'd certainly still have it.
    Cervelo Soloist Carbon / Look 585 / Look 555 / Redline Conquest Pro / Kona Kapu / Santa Cruz Blur / Torker U-District / Custom fixie

http://www.BloggersInc.com/CycloPath/