RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

The NEW Hot Tubes

Hey friends.

Just had a Hot Tubes built by Toby Stanton. The process was painless and he put together a great frameset. It does exactly what I asked for. The frame is stiff, you feel all the energy transfer to the pedals. It's fast (because it's so stiff, especially the BB). And the tubes are super beefy, which makes it strong (and as I just found out) easier to portage.

Pics below. Raced this past weekend in Michigan @ KISS Cross No. 1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The NEW Hot Tubes-rear_angle.jpg   The NEW Hot Tubes-frame.jpg   The NEW Hot Tubes-head.jpg   The NEW Hot Tubes-bb.jpg   The NEW Hot Tubes-seat_tube.jpg  

The NEW Hot Tubes-rear_stars.jpg   The NEW Hot Tubes-out_of_woods.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Welcome to the club. That's a really pretty bike. Toby does great work. Enjoy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I had an old and very hacked up Merckx road bike in that nice orange color--they repained it better than new, I'm really impressed with the quality of their painting work.

How much would a frame and fork cost from those guys?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

check out his website hottubes.com

$1050 or $1200 depending on the steel used. He does offer steel forks, I went the option of carbon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I remember seeing your bike when Toby was building it. Great choice for the paint job! Looks really sweet.

Do you have any other pictures of it built up?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

not yet!

the wife was away on vacation and had the digital camera. more built up pics to come!

thanks for the kudos. great bike!

Not Banned

nice BB lug

bet that gives it a tad more stiffness
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    A lugged BB shell will certainly bring more drivetrain stiffness to the party. Plus, they look good!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    I rode a hot tubes for the first time tonight. we had an interclub cx race and our team manager has hot tubes cx. it appeared to be tig welded with the exception of the bb. much like the one above. I rode my kelly knobby x ss. after we were done I jumped on the hot tubes and was blown away. wonderfull riding bike. much nicer than my kelley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

Without a doubt...

this bike is stiff. I love it. Have raced once and practiced twice on it and I love it more each time. I feel more confident that every revolution will transfer energy immediately.

Toby is a good builder to work with. And he runs a juniors team, so giving him business makes you feel good about your selection over a big name companies (in my opinion).

Lates.

- jd

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    I remember seeing your bike when Toby was building it. Great choice for the paint job! Looks really sweet.

Do you have any other pictures of it built up?
    I love the Made in Massachusetts sticker.

And Zank, I like your frames, too!

Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    And Zank, I like your frames, too!
    i'll second that, especially after seeing a whole contingent of them at this years' 24HOA in Dalton. do you sponsor a team?

the_dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dude and JH, thanks for the compliments! Much obliged. I love building, especially cross bikes.

I don't sponsor anyone at this point. I am still trying to get the business up and running with little capital to put into sponsorship. Everything is going back into the business at this point.

It would be great to meet you guys this fall. Have fun at the races!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey Joe, any complete bike pics yet?

How is the racing going?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

sorry, no full bike pics yet...

i'll try to remember to get some full pics soon. i'm moving to texas in two weeks, so life has been a little crazy.

the bike races great. very stiff. i've had two top-ten finishes in the Bs with it out of three races. i love it!

a woman on my team has a new hot tubes, too. it's amazing. green and pink with hello kitty crap all over it. very cool.

later.