Old, slow, and fat.

'New' Idea for a cross race: the weekend stage race

So I've been contemplating cross racing, racing in general and had an opinion question for y'all:

I've had the idea of a 'cross stage race' floating around in my brain case for a bit now. Based loosely on the old North End Classic from Yuma, AZ I did a while back.

Friday nite: Holeshot competition. Basically its a 100m or so sprint. Fields of 6-8 all starting in a row like cross starts. Winner gets a prize, points in the series, and a callup for the next race.

Sat: short course. Like the name implies, 1.5-2km course with at least one dismount and probably a run-up if can get the park in question to agree. Winners/placers get prizes, call ups for Sun's race.

Sun: long course. 2.5-3.5km course in/around the same park. IOW a typical cross race.

You can do one of the 3 races if you choose, but doing the series will get you preferential starts. (I have yet to figger out the exact method)

Thoughts? Does that sound like something you'd do?

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like fun! Bear Lake Monster Cross was supposed to be a stage race format with a CX race Friday night, 90 mile gravel road race Saturday, gravel TT Saturday evening, and a CX race Sunday.
    It was supposed to take place at the end of September, but they ran into some logistical snags. I'd really like to do it if they're able to pull it off next year.
    I love the idea of a CX focused stage race.

Los
    "My pit bike is a six-pack."
    -Hodala CX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    We used to have one here in New England up until 97 when it got too big.
    A 1 lap TT, a grass crit and then regular cross race.
    Once we started getting 400 riders....it was unmanagable time wise. There was talk of it being a 2 day thing...I don't think it ever happened?

Old, slow, and fat.
    DCCX did a Sat TT. Missed the whole weekend...

Anyone do it? How'd it go?

M

Game on, b*tches!
    A guy did something similar here near me with the Rockville bridge classic. 1 lap fri night and then 2 regular cx races the following 2 days. Sounds like a good idea, atmo...
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MShaw View Post
    DCCX did a Sat TT. Missed the whole weekend...

Anyone do it? How'd it go?

M

If memory serves....it had such an underwhelming response that they canceled the TT. I'd have to go back and search to confirm.

idea sounds nice, but I have a family. between kids sports, etc....one day of racing is enough for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    something for the OP to think about:
    How many people do you think will show up and pay to ride 100 m?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I think you'd get more participation if the format were:
    SAT afternoon, time trial
    SAT evening, night race "short course"
    SUN morning/midday, cyclocross

Game on, b*tches!
    Quote Originally Posted by pretender View Post
    I think you'd get more participation if the format were:
    SAT afternoon, time trial
    SAT evening, night race "short course"
    SUN morning/midday, cyclocross
    ^^THis^^
    Friday night race would be tough to get "out of towners" to go to. Sat and Sunday people could make a weekend of it.

catzilla
    Alton Brown

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    something for the OP to think about:
    How many people do you think will show up and pay to ride 100 m?
    When I was raced the North End Classic between 1/3 and 1/2 of the total race showed up. Yuma doesn't have what you'd call a big cycling base, so EVERYone was from out of town. I showed up from Sandy Eggo ~3.5hrs away.

IIRC my field was ~100. I don't remember what the others were, but I remember seeing lots of folks out racing.

I'm thinking that the pricing would have a discount to sign up for all 3 races, and progressively more/race as you signed up for fewer races. Basically, if you can make it Fri nite great. If not, that's fine too you just don't get as good a starting spot on Sat.

M

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    ^^THis^^
    Friday night race would be tough to get "out of towners" to go to. Sat and Sunday people could make a weekend of it.
    Knowing how the racing around here works, I'm probably not gonna get too many 'out of towners' anyway. I'm 10mi outside Manassas so I'll bet people from inside the Beltway wouldn't come out nohow. [whining]Too far.[/whining]

The Vint Hill race saw appx 125 people racing the entire day. I figure that's about right. This race'll maybe even have a few less. The guy that puts on that race is a buddy of mine so I won't have to figger out the *entire* thing my ownself.

M

Game on, b*tches!
    You're probably right. I'm used to 90+ minute drives for my races. They're spoiled

catzilla
    Alton Brown

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    You're probably right. I'm used to 90+ minute drives for my races. They're spoiled
    Takes me 40min to get to Fairfax. Longer if there's traffic.

...but I live where all the roads are. I've got from 1 to 8hr loops not hitting the same roads twice. C'mon out! I'll show ya around.

M

Game on, b*tches!
    And I could do the same here. Ask c-lo and mikeman (Tambeaux). South central PA (PA in general) has awesome riding. I'm 1.5 miles from I-83, I-76, 5 minutes to rt 15 and 10 to I-81. I may take you up on it.

catzilla
    Alton Brown

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    We have been trying to organize a few things like that here in Harrisburg area...problem is finding places that will allow it. For now we are going to do a weekly "underground" series. Show up at park at a pre-determined meeting time, formula one style start and go like hell for 45 mins.(or until we get chased out) We are having the courses pre set by a friend .

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I'd bring my juniors to a race like that.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    over in my neck of the woods, for mountain biking.... we have Endurorama

where, similar to a rally, as in "WRC rally" (and the amateur rallies by NASA, Rally-America, etc).... there are special stages and in between them, "casual rides" to the next special stage.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    over in my neck of the woods, for mountain biking.... we have Endurorama

where, similar to a rally, as in "WRC rally" (and the amateur rallies by NASA, Rally-America, etc).... there are special stages and in between them, "casual rides" to the next special stage.
    This is a very common format in dirtbike racing. We call them Enduros. That's where you guys are getting the name from. 2 basic formats are used.

1st is the "timekeeper" where all check points are secret and it's up to the rider to keep time and hit the checkpoints on time as best they can. You need an accurate and adjustable odometer, a watch, and a roll chart with turn info that tells you mileage and the target time to be at the turn. The checkpoints are hidden between turns. The kicker is you are penalized more for being early than being late and once you are in site of the checkpoint, you have to maintain forward motion to the checkpoint. If you stop within site of the checkpoint and the check crew an identify you, you are considered checked in and that is the score you get.

The 2nd format is the "re-start" format where all check points are known and you can arrive early. Once at the in check, you wait for your minute to come up then go like hell to the out check.

Both are very fun. The timekeeper is more a thinking man's game since you start to guess where checks will be and the better you can figure it out, the better you can be at managing your speed/effort in easy sections so you don't come in early and you then can save energy for the all out sprint in the hard sections. With the re-start format, you simply ride a little faster than you need to get to the in check and then have your down time there.

With both formats, the promoter can make the course easy or hard between the test sections. That way you can take points from the riders who don't manage the course properly in the sections that are not all out sprints.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I attended and wrote about one of these ~ 8 years ago... good times!

‘Cross Stage Racing in France