Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: hawss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    173

    No Vanilla @ Oregon Handmade Bicycle Show?!

    I'm driving down from Vancouver (BC) with some friends next weekend for our first taste of a Cross Crusade and to bask in the simplified glory of the SS CX 'Championships'. I was pleasantly surprised to find that our visit coincided with the Oregon Handmade Bicycle Show. I thought that I'd finally get a chance to molest and grope a Speedvagen but I was wrong. It seems that Vanilla isn't among the list of builders at the show. An event dedicated to the craft of handbuilt bikes in Oregon without Vanilla...doesn't seem right. What's the story Sacha? I'm sure there will be a LOT to see but I was hoping for some of your wares.

    Anyone else going?

  2. #2
    Do not touch the trim.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,347
    Quote Originally Posted by hawss
    I'm driving down from Vancouver (BC) with some friends next weekend for our first taste of a Cross Crusade and to bask in the simplified glory of the SS CX 'Championships'. I was pleasantly surprised to find that our visit coincided with the Oregon Handmade Bicycle Show. I thought that I'd finally get a chance to molest and grope a Speedvagen but I was wrong. It seems that Vanilla isn't among the list of builders at the show. An event dedicated to the craft of handbuilt bikes in Oregon without Vanilla...doesn't seem right. What's the story Sacha? I'm sure there will be a LOT to see but I was hoping for some of your wares.

    Anyone else going?
    Probably too busy building bikes. What's the wait these days for a Vanilla?

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: hawss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheRivet
    Probably too busy building bikes. What's the wait these days for a Vanilla?

    "As of February, 2007 the wait for a custom Vanilla is 4 years."

  4. #4
    Ka Mate, Ka Ora
    Reputation: PltJett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    280
    Or you can just buy someones spot in line ;)
    The unguided missle

  5. #5
    haole from the mainland
    Reputation: jorgy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,966
    I really hope this is an urban myth. I've seen a couple of ads on craigslist, but hope that Sacha wouldn't allow line-jumping. Why should he really, as he's not making any money.

    I don't know him at all, but it strikes me that selling off one's queue in line or allowing people to buy a higher place in line would be antithetical to his way of doing business.

    Quote Originally Posted by PltJett
    Or you can just buy someones spot in line ;)

  6. #6
    Cat 6 rider
    Reputation: California L33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgy
    I really hope this is an urban myth. I've seen a couple of ads on craigslist, but hope that Sacha wouldn't allow line-jumping. Why should he really, as he's not making any money.

    I don't know him at all, but it strikes me that selling off one's queue in line or allowing people to buy a higher place in line would be antithetical to his way of doing business.
    It would also fill the line with speculators who would artificially raise the price and discourage legitimate customers from placing orders when the wait becomes too long.
    To the troll mobile, away...

  7. #7
    duh...
    Reputation: FatTireFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,823
    there are A LOT top builders missing from that list... it looks to be more of a 'local' show, and I would think everyone there already knows about Vanilla

  8. #8
    Perpetual Three
    Reputation: steve_e_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    676
    if you need to grope, you may have more luck at the starting line. I counted at least six or seven of them in the SS race.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: hawss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_e_f
    if you need to grope, you may have more luck at the starting line. I counted at least six or seven of them in the SS race.
    Damn riders would get in my way, I'm looking forward to seeing them in action.

    Another 'handmade' craft that I'm interested in is beer...is there a good watering hole in Portland where I can sample some of Oregon's finest?

    Cheers.

  10. #10
    Done with winter.
    Reputation: asterisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,639
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    there are A LOT top builders missing from that list... it looks to be more of a 'local' show, and I would think everyone there already knows about Vanilla
    This is the Oregon Handmade Bicycle Bicycle Show therefore it's most of the local builders. The North American Handmade Bicycle Show, which is also in Portland in '08 after a few years in the bay area, is the national show.

    As for the Speedvagen, you'll definitely see more than a few at the start of the Crusade race.

  11. #11
    duh...
    Reputation: FatTireFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,823
    Quote Originally Posted by asterisk
    This is the Oregon Handmade Bicycle Bicycle Show therefore it's most of the local builders. The North American Handmade Bicycle Show, which is also in Portland in '08 after a few years in the bay area, is the national show.

    As for the Speedvagen, you'll definitely see more than a few at the start of the Crusade race.


    yes, I can read... point is, are you gonna compare, a vanilla with, say, a vulture??? and again, everyone there prob already knows about and has seen a vanilla
    Last edited by FatTireFred; 11-03-2007 at 11:22 AM.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    47
    Hi All,

    I really wanted to make it to the Oregon Handmade Bicycle Show, but it is on the same day as the Singlespeed Cyclocross World Championships (which I am helping out with, and racing in), and the Oregon state championship cross race (which the Vanilla team is in contention for).

    I really wish I could be both places at once. What a line up of awesome builders at the OHMBS! I consider many of them good friends.

    As for spots on my waitlist being sold to a third party? Deposits are non-transferable, and this sort of deal will not be honored by Vanilla.

    Thanks,

    Sacha

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: hawss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    173
    Yeah, we're trying to figure out how to juggle the race and the show in one day too. The show doesn't open until 11am and if we bail on the race right at after the SSCX finishes we might get one hour at the show by the time we get back into town.

    We're armwrestling between races to see who the designated driver is going to be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook