RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Non CX Version of new Zipp 303 Strong Enough for CX?

This is a cross post from "Wheels & Tires"...I'm wanting a new pair of the Zipp 303's with the new hubs and wider rims...they do them in a 18/24 spoke road version and a 24/24 spoke "cyclocross" version. I'll use them for a few road races but primarily for Cyclocross, in shopping around it appears most of the ones for sale on forums and ebay are the 18/24 spoke road versions...I'm wondering how these would hold up for CX under my 150lb. rider weight and New England CX conditions. Seems like if the road versions will hold up under Thor Hushevald on the cobbles of Paris-Roubaix they otta take CX without any trouble...anyone have any experience with them in this regard?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    Bump... I'm curious too.. any witnesses to the 18/24 durability from Road to to CX?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I have both versions and run them in the northwest. A friend of mine has the non cx version as well. Have been using the non for 2 yrs now and they are solid as a rock. The cx version is nice for the wider glue surface and wider sidewalls but if price is a better on the non version and thats more important I wouldnt think twice about concerns with the durability. They are solid.
    Oh ya, I tip the scales at 170....

Perpetual Three
    if you've got two sets of them then great, but the 303 is so wide that you have have an equally wide pit wheel or you can kiss your breaking ability goodbye after the swap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I posed this type of questions last year, about some older 404's I've had laying around for a few years. i finally just decided to give them a try this season, and they've been great. These are 2003 404's 18/24 spoke. I was a little worried in the beginning, but they have been more than sufficiently solid for my aggressive riding here in the Northwest. I would have to imagine the new ones are just as sturdy. it's kind of weird, the wheels actually felt less sturdy when i was racing them on the road, than they do now for cross.

So my vote is: they'll be plenty strong enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    I got myself a set of 303's, laced 2x with 32 sapim cx-ray spokes. Talk about bombproof. I'm slammed them a few times expecting to see carbon dust, but they keep on truckin'. Those rims are stronger than most people give them credit for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy1
    I have both versions and run them in the northwest. A friend of mine has the non cx version as well. Have been using the non for 2 yrs now and they are solid as a rock. The cx version is nice for the wider glue surface and wider sidewalls but if price is a better on the non version and thats more important I wouldnt think twice about concerns with the durability. They are solid.
    Oh ya, I tip the scales at 170....
    All 303s use the same rims. CX just means more spokes. I think you mean older generation 303 rims are narrower whereas the new ones are wider.