• 07-01-2012
    Erik_A
    3 Attachment(s)
    Old school XT cantis vs v-brakes for cross
    I am thinking about switching to some 1995 old school Shimano BR-M737, Deore XT cantilevers and ditching my Tektro v-brakes (with Problem Solver Travel Agents) for my new cross build. When the V-brakes get wet, they are fairly useless - I can ride the bakes fully depressed and not completely stop - just slow down a bit.

Will these cantis provide better wet condition stopping power with Campy STI levers? Also, what brake pads do you recommend (or with the stock black Shimano XT MTB pads be fine) for use on aluminum rims?
  • 07-01-2012
    atpjunkie
    those are great brakes. Get a good canti guy to set them up if you choose to use them
    as for pads Kool Stop Dual Compound (Salmon and Black) are great, Yehstars (if you can find them) are better
  • 07-01-2012
    Erik_A
    1 Attachment(s)
    How come you mentioned the Kool Stop Dual Compound (Salmon and Black) instead of the solid Salmon pads - I figure if some Salmon is good more is better!

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    those are great brakes. Get a good canti guy to set them up if you choose to use them
    as for pads Kool Stop Dual Compound (Salmon and Black) are great, Yehstars (if you can find them) are better

Are these the pads that you like best?
  • 07-01-2012
    atpjunkie
    the pure Salmon are almost too grabby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
    How come you mentioned the Kool Stop Dual Compound (Salmon and Black) instead of the solid Salmon pads - I figure if some Salmon is good more is better!

Are these the pads that you like best?

cyclocross magazine did a brake pad review last year, it has pretty good info

the mix is a great all around compound

LOVE YEHSTARs, they wear fast but are great pads. Where did you find? I hoard them
  • 07-01-2012
    Henry Chinaski
    I have the Shimano BR-M737 XT cantis with the Kool Stop salmon pads on my Cross Check, which is my rain bike in Seattle. Work great--never noticed any grabbiness. I keep wanting to try the dual compounds but no one ever seems to stock them around here. Might as well try out/wear out the stock pads first, though.