Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Page is da Champ!

He was so impressive. I wonder what this will do for the debates about discs being the best option in foul weather and how important it is to go race in Europe regularly.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I don't think it will answer those questions much at all. Much in the same way Powers winning on discs would haven't either.
    But he did crush that race. I'm eating humble pie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As I predicted, Page won going away. The disc debate will go on. But really it has little/ nothing to do with riding/winning, etc. Best legs and no bad luck win every time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Brakes are brakes when you're at that level. Disc brakes are still new and have a long way to develop. They look very promising.

As for the racers, Page is stronger and wise in his age. Zach is going to have a very promising career.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GDeAngelo View Post
    Brakes are brakes when you're at that level. Disc brakes are still new and have a long way to develop. They look very promising.

As for the racers, Page is stronger and wise in his age. Zach is going to have a very promising career.
    I have to tip my hat to K.Compton as well. She is the real deal.

I feel like I learned a lot this weekend (or at least confirmed some things I have been thinking). At bare minimum, this weekend proves to me sthat there is more than way to get it done. It's pretty clear to me as an outsider/spectator looking in at this point, that like most sports, it is about fitness and skill development more than it is about equipment choice. It looks like discs and cantis both have strengths and weaknesses in all types of whether regardless of what magazines in both camps say. It looks like as long as you get a solid bike that's not a burden to ride and lift, you can compete if your skills and fitness are there. Finally, after this weekend, I haven't been this excited about getting involved in a sport in a long time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It's nice to see that Van Der Haar came away with win in Netherlands as well. Vantornout surprised a few folks in Belgium as well.

Not Banned
    Page and Compton are both on another level. Simple.
    Page has finished in the top 3 @ Nats every year and when he hasn't won he's typically fighting some 'cross the pond' born illness. Katie has suffered the same thing @ Worlds, after coming home and then flying back to Europe. Typically an ill Page has still been better than 1 or 2 of the US best. As I stated, if he was healthy he'd win. He was and he did. He was humble at the finish, don't know why folks have such issues with him. He's not a big talker.
    What is the difference? They race in Europe.
    Congrats to them both and good luck in Louisville
    Congrats to Jerry-in-VT Great seeing the logo on the broadcast. Wish you would have let me design the kit. Loved the grey, green and orange.

and yes, it's all about the legs, one of the top guys was riding a lugged steel Richard Sachs
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

karl j.
    Apr 2005
    Was Page riding a Blue 'cross bike? It was hard to tell on the live stream - I know he had been riding an orange Blue frame this season, but the paint scheme didn't look right or the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Super happy for Page.
    He rode great and deserved the win.

Now I wonder if we will see the Stars and Stripes in Belgium with "Your name could be here" on it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats to Page, Compton, and McDonald.
    All class acts and great athletes.
    I would agree that this weekend makes little difference in the grand scheme of the disc debate, but I hope it encourages more Americans to race in Europe.

atpjunkie- Yeah, please don't bring up the fact that a rider on a steel bike can be competitive. You're just taking away another excuse from me.

Los
    "My pit bike is a six-pack."
    -Hodala CX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bravo to Page. Good to see success rewarded to a nice guy who has put in the hard work on the major league circuit. Given his recent string of excellent finishes there, he was known to be in good form but he usually gets out-teamed when he races in the states.

We'll see a lot of the Stars and Stripes in Europe for the next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by karl_27376 View Post
    Was Page riding a Blue 'cross bike? It was hard to tell on the live stream - I know he had been riding an orange Blue frame this season, but the paint scheme didn't look right or the same.
    Page is riding the Blue.
    Blue was sold...so they are out....he had tape over the brand name.
    I think his win today might open some new doors for him

karl j.
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the info, mayor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Page is riding the Blue.
    Blue was sold...so they are out....he had tape over the brand name.
    I think his win today might open some new doors for him
    I sure hope so, the guy deserves the highest level of support and sponsorship that's out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GDeAngelo View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but discs brakes have been around on MTBs since the mid-90s. Hardly new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeldrijdenAddict View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but discs brakes have been around on MTBs since the mid-90s. Hardly new.
    Actually the early '90s, but they are new to the world of CX racing. Very different requirements. Contact patch and course conditions will, for now anyway, level the playing field between rim and disc brakes ability to slow the rider down.
    The biggest hurdle for discs in CX, as has been talked about ad infinitum is the lack of a dedicated hydraulic system- so far.
    Once there's a solid hydraulic brake with a Shimano Servo-Wave -style caliper that retracts the pads away from the rotor, they'll catch on.
    And as has also been discussed a lot, pad choice is something those of us who've mountain biked for a long time have figured out- something CX racers and mechanics will need to get up to speed with.

Los
    -Hodala CX

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Actually the early '90s, but they are new to the world of CX racing. Very different requirements. Contact patch and course conditions will, for now anyway, level the playing field between rim and disc brakes ability to slow the rider down.
    The biggest hurdle for discs in CX, as has been talked about ad infinitum is the lack of a dedicated hydraulic system- so far.
    Once there's a solid hydraulic brake with a Shimano Servo-Wave -style caliper that retracts the pads away from the rotor, they'll catch on.
    And as has also been discussed a lot, pad choice is something those of us who've mountain biked for a long time have figured out- something CX racers and mechanics will need to get up to speed with.

Los
    they will have to work out the 'grit and grime not wearing / destroying the pads or causing speed sapping friction' as well. It is funny as people saw these as a wet course addition but it turns out they are better on dry @ present. Hydraulics will be the way to go as the pads are self adjusting as they wear. Mechanical systems don't and thus losing braking after a lap.
    As for Page yes I hope he gets a gig. Rapha/Focus has a Euro women's presence all season, why not sponsor Page as well?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Page and Compton are both on another level. Simple.
    What is the difference? They race in Europe.
    So how do you explain the fact that Powers and Compton raced about the same amount of Euro races this season?
    You make it sound like no one else in the US races in Europe. Johnson, Powers, McDonald made multiple trips this season.

I think a lot of people don't like Page because he comes across as kind of arrogant "Belgium this and Belgium that", the tiff with the Cannondale guys a few years ago didn't help either. I think to most it seems that page is basically trying to pretend he's not American.
    I give him props for going to Europe and trying to make it, but he hasn't contributed as much to growing cross in the US as guys like Johnson, Powers, and Trebon.

RoadBikeReview Member

Page is da Champ!

they will have to work out the 'grit and grime not wearing / destroying the pads or causing speed sapping friction' as well. It is funny as people saw these as a wet course addition but it turns out they are better on dry @ present. Hydraulics will be the way to go as the pads are self adjusting as they wear. Mechanical systems don't and thus losing braking after a lap.
    As for Page yes I hope he gets a gig. Rapha/Focus has a Euro women's presence all season, why not sponsor Page as well?
    Exactly.
    And I also sincerely hope Page gets the sponsorship he deserves. Rapha/Focus could benefit from his addition to the team, lining up all season in Europe. I just wonder how that would work with JPow and McD on the team.
    In my opinion (which is next to worthless,) they should all be racing in Europe!

Los
    -Hodala CX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by davemess View Post
    So how do you explain the fact that Powers and Compton raced about the same amount of Euro races this season?
    You make it sound like no one else in the US races in Europe. Johnson, Powers, McDonald made multiple trips this season.

I think a lot of people don't like Page because he comes across as kind of arrogant "Belgium this and Belgium that", the tiff with the Cannondale guys a few years ago didn't help either. I think to most it seems that page is basically trying to pretend he's not American.
    I give him props for going to Europe and trying to make it, but he hasn't contributed as much to growing cross in the US as guys like Johnson, Powers, and Trebon.
    Different strokes for different folks and we probably need multiple people doing multiple things at this point, some focusing on Europe, some focusing on home. I don't think there is just one way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Exactly.
    And I also sincerely hope Page gets the sponsorship he deserves. Rapha/Focus could benefit from his addition to the team, lining up all season in Europe. I just wonder how that would work with JPow and McD on the team.
    In my opinion (which is next to worthless,) they should all be racing in Europe!

Los
    Zach's still in school though. And I applaud him for staying in and finishing a solid degree at UW. Could have very easily dropped out and raced full time.

I am curious about Page's future. I feel like the American teams won't touch him because he isn't in the states enough (and he has had some dust ups with guys like Johnson). Did he burn bridges at Sunweb/ProJob? Or is it more of an issue of the Belgian teams really only want to hire Belgians (unless you're an exceptionally good foreigner). Page is with or beating guys on decent teams there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I was thinking about one of the superteams (RAPHA/CANNONDALE) picking him up. I don't see him getting along well with JPow and the kid... Cannondale... that's a lot of knowledge/experience between him and TJ, but I don't see Page as a great sponsors man like TJ. He is too real and honest haha... he was at an old Q/A years ago, telling people that they didn't need carbon wheels and high end tubulars. He was sponsored at the time by a carbon wheel company and high end tubular company lol. He's just too real

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davemess View Post

Page is honest. If you don't race in Europe you'll never be able to compete with the Euros, it's a painfully simple fact of the matter, that isn't arrogant.. He's been tag teamed by Team riders for years, sometimes fairly other times not so much. He comments on it, big deal.
    Page and Compton race full season in Europe, Katie did well enough she won the frigging world cup and can skip the last race (which will help her for worlds hopefully) JPow in no way did as many euro races as KC.
    The reason you need to go to Europe is they are faster. When you are making the podium every US race you get the false impression you are fast. You get to Europe and realize you are not. It is the simple rule of training /racing against faster guys makes you faster

Not Banned
    Rapha/Focus has a European presence. They have a couple Euro gals racing the women close to full time. So have Page abroad, Zach and JPow on the domestic front, no conflict. That way when those guys go across the pond they have a team mate, a mentor and a fast guy with which to work.
    Belgians like Belgians unless you are Czech and live in Belgium and are ridiculously fast. Page had run-ins w Mgmt @ SunWeb cause they were treating him like red headed stepchild.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Page is honest. If you don't race in Europe you'll never be able to compete with the Euros, it's a painfully simple fact of the matter, that isn't arrogant.. He's been tag teamed by Team riders for years, sometimes fairly other times not so much. He comments on it, big deal.
    Page and Compton race full season in Europe, Katie did well enough she won the frigging world cup and can skip the last race (which will help her for worlds hopefully) JPow in no way did as many euro races as KC.
    The reason you need to go to Europe is they are faster. When you are making the podium every US race you get the false impression you are fast. You get to Europe and realize you are not. It is the simple rule of training /racing against faster guys makes you faster
    Amen. The same rule holds true for road. It's simple, would anyone ever suggest that pro road racers should just focus on the Tour of California, Tour of Utah and USPCC and the domestic crit series and forget all the early season races that build up to the Grand Tours and classics? Of course not, USAC and every sponsor worth their salt go to great lengths to make sure the folks with potential are getting as much meaningful race and training time in Europe as possible. Even with all the wind tunnel testing, technological advances and nutritional support, they know that you beat the best by racing and training against the best. U.S. cross certainly needs a local scene and our best to do some races here, but it also will benefit from having world champion caliber talent and it seems like you build that by racing in Europe as much as possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast