RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Piranha CXs won't fit, anyone else? Mavic Heliums okay for CX?

Hi,

The used bike I just picked up had worn out tires and there was a sale on Hutchinson piranha cx's for 20 bucks at realcyclist.com so I bit. When I tried, with all my might and the death of a few tire levers, to get them on they absolutely would not go on. The rim was an older looking Mavic DA 40 I believe. The back rim was a Mavis Open Pro and it barely went on there but the bead was so tight it wouldn't seat properly. Is this normal for this tire? It is tubeless ready, which I was planning on putting to use with a Stans kit.

In the garage was a set of Mavic Heliums with about ton of miles on them from my girlfriends bike she bought used. The tires fit well on there, any reason not to use them instead? Any reason not to try them with the tubeless kit?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    they will go

hutchison tubeless tires have a very tight bead.

I run my ghetto tubeless using gorilla tape, stans, and a cut out valve stem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    use the lather off the top of soapy water and put a bunch on all the surfaces. the other issue with a tight tire is it tends to pinch the tube, so when you inflate if there is a bump deflate right away and fix or it will pop

metal tire levers are a good last resort to keep in the toolbox, i have some big motorcycle size ones i use once in a while

i have read about people warming tires up in the dryer but have not tried this

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I had the same issue with my Piranha's to my Ritchey wheels. I finally got it. the second time I mounted them they were better. Now I just picked up a set of open pros and they went on without too much effort. I too need to get some replacement tire irons after the first encounter. To seat them properly the first time I had to over inflate, 95psi, to get the bead to pop into place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by moralleper
    I had the same issue with my Piranha's to my Ritchey wheels. I finally got it. the second time I mounted them they were better. Now I just picked up a set of open pros and they went on without too much effort. I too need to get some replacement tire irons after the first encounter. To seat them properly the first time I had to over inflate, 95psi, to get the bead to pop into place.
    Good to know, I was able to get one on the rear wheel, which was a mavic open pro. I had a hell of a time getting it off though when I decided to change over to the heliums. On the front rim, I believe the sticker on it said DA 40, when the last four inches or so of tire were stretch taught there was at least an inch gap to the rim lip. I really thought I had somehow bought 650 tires or something crazy. Maybe a few days of riding on the heliums and they will stretch out a little bit.

I noticed the heliums were out of true by the end of 15 mile ride on a rocky fire road today, so I am wondering if they are going to be more trouble than I care to deal with. The final option may be to pull a pair of china brand carbon clinchers off my road bike and try mounting them up there.

I avent tried tubeless mounting yet, and I may have wasted a half roll of tape on the front rim as i didn't even think to check tire fit.

Tires rode very nice, worked well in the dry conditions we have been having all fall.

Thanks for the input. Ill try again after a couple more rides.

Perpetual Three
    what conditions are the Piranhas made for? Just curious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Oops

Tubeless application works well on the helum rims, but I still don't work well with reading directions. This pop came right at about 60 psi with a floor pump, glad I was wearing glasses and had my back to the tire!

d
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Piranha CXs won't fit, anyone else? Mavic Heliums okay for CX?-photo-17.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Second one fits great and has sealed up well!

Game on, b*tches!
    And this is BETTER than tubies or clinchers?
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dmabraham
    Tubeless application works well on the helum rims, but I still don't work well with reading directions. This pop came right at about 60 psi with a floor pump, glad I was wearing glasses and had my back to the tire!

d
    I see the problem... 4 beers! You needed either 4 less, or 2 more, and everything would have gone much better!
    "It's hard to tell the poison from the cure, so enjoy the disease."
    -Mohair_Chair