RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Planet X 50mm for cross

What do you guys think about the Planet X 50mm wheels for cross?

Their weight isn't terrible (considering they're less than 500$), but they only have 16f/24r spokes. I'm not too concerned about the 24 rear spokes, that's what my current wheels have, but the 16 spoke up front worries me a bit. They also have internal nipples which is no good for truing, but if they're fairly tough wheels then maybe it won't be too big of an issue?

Any other recommendations for a budget tubular wheelset?

Colin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

I was wondering the same thing.

Do you plan to set these up with a mud tire, all around, or dry tread? Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    planet x wheels are made of generic taiwanese rims.

Just buy them directly from ebay, you can choose the spoke combinaison you want and, and a hub from bikehubstore (the rotaz ones are pretty light and sold in 28f/28r) or ebay + cheap aero 424 spokes and there your go, you have a shiny set of 50mm carbon wheels with 28/28 spokes.

And it won't cost you more than the planetx set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by T0mi View Post
    planet x wheels are made of generic taiwanese rims.

Just buy them directly from ebay, you can choose the spoke combinaison you want and, and a hub from bikehubstore (the rotaz ones are pretty light and sold in 28f/28r) or ebay + cheap aero 424 spokes and there your go, you have a shiny set of 50mm carbon wheels with 28/28 spokes.

And it won't cost you more than the planetx set.
    I have thought about doing that, but the Planet X rims are Gigantex, which have proven themselves to be fairly strong and reliable(and impossible to find alone). You don't really know what the quality is on some of the rims from ebay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    the neuvation wheels use the same rims and a 20 spoke front wheel, but cost a few more $

McTacopants
    Feb 2011
    Just throwing this out there - issue #13 of CX Mag arrived last night and they tested deep dish wheels in mud and found no advantage. With this said, a set of Neuvation alloy tubulars would probably be a good choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    The main thing I'm trying to do is lose weight from the wheels, and go tubular. I don't really care about having the deep rims I just want something light and cheap, and the Planet X wheels are light and cheap (but questionable durability).

Is there anything that is fairly cheap(less than 600$), decent stiffness and around 1400g or less?

McTacopants
    Feb 2011
    Yes. Neuvation Rs 1480 grams at $360 + shipping. They make great wheels. Williams 1600 grams $400. Easton EA70x are about 1600 grams around $500. The Planet-X seem like a good deal, but I agree that 16 spokes seems a bit low.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I decided to go with Major Tom rims, my team is sponsored by Velocity so I get them cheap. I also just ordered some White Industries hubs to go with them, which were a little more than I wanted to spend, but at least I'll be happy with my pretty hubs!

McTacopants
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by colinfr View Post
    I decided to go with Major Tom rims, my team is sponsored by Velocity so I get them cheap. I also just ordered some White Industries hubs to go with them, which were a little more than I wanted to spend, but at least I'll be happy with my pretty hubs!
    Nice! You will have to report back here after getting a few rides on them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Are there wider tubular carbon rims out there available, a local company sells complete wheels (revolver racing) with a 23mm profile for CX.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Zipp's are 27.5mm wide.
    Revolution Wheelwork's new REV-38X is 24mm wide
    HED Stinger is 26mm wide
    HED Belgium is 24mm wide

Not sure of anything else that is wider than 23mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colinfr View Post
    The main thing I'm trying to do is lose weight from the wheels, and go tubular. I don't really care about having the deep rims I just want something light and cheap, and the Planet X wheels are light and cheap (but questionable durability).

Is there anything that is fairly cheap(less than 600$), decent stiffness and around 1400g or less?
    Velocity Major Tom rims are where smart people should be looking for cross tubular wheels. They're wider than most rims at (23mm) and have a channel in the rim to accomodate the base tape ridge. So your fat cross tubs mount more easily, more securely, and the tire rides better with less roll-over at low pressures- the reason you run tubs in the first place. Plus your canti brakes will work a little better given the geometry of the wider rims- especially low profile model brakes. And the rims are inexpensive at less than 60 bucks. Buy a set and go to a shop with an old school mechanic who can still remembers how to build up some wheels using the hubs of your choice. They will ride better than most factory wheels, cost much less, and last forever.

Edit: OK looks like I'm about a week behind on this, congrats on the new wheels, good choice!
    Last edited by ZenNMotion; 08-11-2011 at 05:57 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    The EA70X's I just bought were $400 shipped a set.

Ideally, I would have gone with a wider rim, but it would have cost several hundred more per wheel to have it built. I decided it wasn't worth the money right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Richard Sachs has worked with Cole Wheels to develop a new wider rim tubular model for CX, new this season. They look awesome.

Biker
    Missed the thread for my 2 pennies.

been cx racing on the planet x 50’s for the last 2.5 seasons here in the midwest.
    Mud, sand, water, rain, muck, dust, pavement, gravel.
    They work great, held up great.
    the front one needs trued finally, but I must then remove the tire.
    I just had the bearings serviced - replaced.
    Four in the back - two up front.
    The back ones were just toast. They are of low quality.
    I have been in several nasty sand pit wrecks, had the wheels/bike run over after those in front of me picking bad lines.
    They have been of great value for my investment.

I have had 34 Griffo’s mounted up on them. I think I am going to stick with them again this year.