RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Planet X Uncle John CX Frameset-anyone ride this?

Anyone ride a Planet X Uncle John CX? I have an opportunity to get a good deal on the frameset so i wanted to get some feedback.

thanks,

pinoyroadie92

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Be careful about the size: I had medium but it was too big for me. I usually have 540mm TT, but that frame felt a lot too big: headtube is long and seat angle is steep. So it felt more like 550-560mm TT. Otherwise the frame felt Ok.

Cyclist
    The other thing to remember is the frame is spaced 135mm in the rear...Planet X just suggested to squeeze a road hub in there, but I built a wheel using a mountain hub.

I actually like the long head tube. It allows me to get the bars up tp where I can ride in the drops without a ton of spacers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    The other thing to remember is the frame is spaced 135mm in the rear...Planet X just suggested to squeeze a road hub in there, but I built a wheel using a mountain hub.

I actually like the long head tube. It allows me to get the bars up tp where I can ride in the drops without a ton of spacers.
    thanks for your replies. I want to purchase the frameset but i am a little bit apprehensive because of the sizing. I am 5'9 and i usually ride a 54 road bike. I emailed planet x and they said a medium should work for me but i am still not convinced. Unfortunately i have no way at looking or testing the bike since i am buying it online. They say for a cyclocross sizing you should get a size smaller. Is that true?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I'm 5'9 and medium was too big. Maybe you should buy small and maybe a longer stem?

Cyclist
    I'm 5'10" tall and on a L. I actually enjoy the "larger" fit though. As I said above, I liked the longer HT to get the bars up a bit.