RoadBikeReview Member

propad and stuff

I will try to make this short.

I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks trying to dig enough information to build my first cross bike.
    I raced BMX, road and mountain for years and had too many nice bikes to count. I sold most my good stuff when I got married 6 years ago. I am still kicking myself because I cannot justify spending a ton on a new bike.

The Proprad fits great but it is kind of heavy (a ho is always a ho) and although I want a light bike this bike fits in my price range.
    I want to build it ground up. Knowing that I would replace more than I would keep on the complete bike.
    All my past bikes were like this and although I realize this is a pricey way the advent of ebay should keep the price down.

I already own a few things such as an old yet nice set of Grafton breaks, nice saddle, a new white hubset that I plan on converting to 130(was for mtb race bike), some 757 spd's and some not so great misc. parts that could be used until upgrade is desired.

My main question is, why is the poprad considered an entry level bike?
    It is built out of the same material as some nicer steel customs.
    How much does the 55cm frame weigh? I really don't want a TANK.
    Should I buy the fork with the frame or up grade now?
    I don't see many pics of people racing them in photos on this forum, why?

Other questions, can I use my grafton/Topline cranks without the granny until I pick up a set of cranks?

This was my first post here and I am learning. Be gentle please.
    Last edited by pigpen; 10-05-2005 at 08:29 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen
    I will try to make this short.

I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks trying to dig enough information to build my first cross bike.
    I raced BMX, road and mountain for years and had too many nice bikes to count. I sold most my good stuff when I got married 6 years ago. I am still kicking myself because I cannot justify spending a ton on a new bike.

The Proprad fits great but it is kind of heavy (a ho is always a ho) and although I want a light bike this fits in my price range.
    I want to build it ground up. Knowing that I would replace more than I would keep on the complete bike.
    All my past bikes were like this and although I realize this is a pricey way the advent of ebay should keep the price down.

I already own a few things such as an old yet nice set of Grafton breaks, nice saddle, a new white hubset that I plan on converting to 130(was for mtb race bike), some 757 spd's and some not so great misc. parts that could be used until upgrade is desired.

My main question is, why is the poprad considered an entry level bike?
    It is built out of the same material as some nicer steel customs.
    How much does the 55cm frame weigh? I really don't want a TANK.
    Should I buy the fork with the frame or up grade now?
    I don't see many pics of people racing them in photos on this forum, why?

Other questions, can I use my grafton/Topline cranks without the granny until I pick up a set of cranks?

This was my first post here and I am learning. Be gentle please.

The Poprad frame is not a tank (sorry I don't have the weight of a 55 off hand). I've seen some light Poprads (ultegra, carbon fork). I like the Poprad, but if weight is your ultimate goal, look aluminum. Check-out Felt, Bianchi cross concept, Empella, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think I need to clarify,

Weight is not my main goal, but I have heard that out of the box they are heavy.
    Some have said it is 25+ pounds (that is heavy to me)

Steel is prefered but the fit is what I like.
    Alum is out, I hated my Klein frame.

I need to build on a shoestring budget, are my old moutain parts usable?

More Cowbell!
    Any shop that sells the Poprad can sell you a frame or frameset. If you can get an '05 for cheap, that's what I would do. Then strip the new parts you can replace with your old mtb parts and Ebay them as unused take-offs. Then upgrade as you go.

As I recall, the '05 Poprad has an Al fork so it might be worth you while to look into getting a Ti, custom (i.e. lighter) steel, or carbon fork. The Nashbar carbon is a rebadged Winwood and is a very good deal. I think the weight is about 650 grams. You can search on this forum about the Nashbar fork and get some real weights and impressions.

I think for production steel, the Poprad is the way to go.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Damn

If my '06 Poprad is 25+ pounds, then I must be a body builder cause it sure doesn't feel like that when I carry it. I'm not sure of the weight of the frame, but I would say it likely comes in at about 23-24. I'm super happy with mine and I will be racing it so I'll try to post some pics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Damn,Poprad

Quote Originally Posted by Nicros
    If my '06 Poprad is 25+ pounds, then I must be a body builder cause it sure doesn't feel like that when I carry it. I'm not sure of the weight of the frame, but I would say it likely comes in at about 23-24. I'm super happy with mine and I will be racing it so I'll try to post some pics.
    I don`t see any reviews for 06 Poprad,Still waiting for LBS to get theres in,any pros/cons would be huge.

Perpetual Three
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen
    I need to build on a shoestring budget, are my old moutain parts usable?
    I cannibalized my MTB to get my cross bike back up and running. Everything will work great. My bike has really ugly mis-matched parts and a few busted parts as well (cosmetic stuff).

One thing I love about cross so far is that you can roll up to the starting line with just about anything. There doesn't seem to be snobbery, at least in the lower ranks where I'll be for a while.

no idea whay my bike weighs, but I've been riding it on the road for the past few days and I got back on my real road bike today and was blown away at how much lighter it is. train lots on your "heavy" cross bike, it'll make you stronger!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I bought a Poprad last year and love it. In fact, I use it as my main road bike (LOTOJA as well (with road tires, of course). With saddle bag, computer, and two bottle cages it weighs about 23-25 pounds according to my bath scale. While not light, it does quite well on the cross course and is super smooth thanks to the steel frame. For a do-all bike it is perfect. If I wanted a cross-specific bike, I'd go with a Bianchi due to the lighter weight of Aluminum and the flat top-tube. My wife has an Axis and I may ride it instead of my Poprad this Sunday.

Is not a clown car
    The Proprad is a nice bike/frame. I don't think you can really go wrong with it. I'm actually looking for one as a back up to my other bike. The "just in case bike".

If you're looking for lighter, but steel, take a gander at used Kelly's on ebay. My 61cm frame with average parts(Campy Veloce, RaceFace, 32 wheels) comes in at 21lbs. Get that in a 55 and you'll be golden with some of the vintage mtb parts you've got flowin'.
    Disclaimer: I sell ::Singulars:: and write a :blog:
    ::Pictures::

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by riderdie
    I don`t see any reviews for 06 Poprad,Still waiting for LBS to get theres in,any pros/cons would be huge.
    I'm still waiting to use it in a race so I'll definitely post once I do. Thus far I've been commuting to and from work on it, and besides my cables stretching and making it impossible to use the gear ratio I use most - it has been brilliant. My ride in is awesome, its only 30km so I can use either the commute in or home to work on specific skills.

A couple of sections of the ride I am riding on overpasses that are really narrow so I can easily hop the curb and ride up on the shoulder which gets me out of traffic. I cut through two parks on the way across grass, pavement and gravel and over two fences so I get quite the fun semi cross workout in too! So far in everything I've asked of my ride, its been fantastic. I'm still extraordinarily clumsy in carrying the bike on my shoulder over the fence, but I can't blame the bike for that one! My final part of the ride involves climbing one set of stairs with the bike and leaving it in the hallway so I can grab a shower; then, whilst in skirt, heading down the stairs, over to my building and up two flights of stairs - oh good fun. And I can report that even carrying the bike up two flights of stairs in skirt is an easily accomplished task - its trying to keep my sweaty camelbak from coming into contact with my work clothes while running up the stairs that poses the bigger issue!