RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Question re cx and singletrack

I really like riding my spec crux on singletrack, but I got to thinking are the bikes made for that kind of riding? In other words, can it take the abuse of singletrack? I know folks mostly ride cx in races with mixed terrain. My immediate reaction would be yes it can hold up, considering I used to ride my trek 800 (fully rigid) on the same trails when I was a youngster back in the early 90's. I am not talking about drops and such, the bike is pretty much self limiting in what you would take it on and over. I just do not want to end up breaking something that causes me a big expense to only find out that I really should not be riding on ST. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    describe the single track you are taking the bike on? I'd say for the most part your cx bike would be fine.

some of the single track I take my full suspension on I wouldn't think about taking my cx bike on just because it's pretty rocky and technical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I've ridden my Sala LC on non-technical single track for 5 years without issue. Just threw some 40c tires on it and went. The only limiting factor is the nature of the trails.

Anything super rooty or rocky, I shy away from. Not b/c I fear for the bike, but because it's just eat the narrow tires and tubes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I would describe my ST as smooth with some root sections. Anything too much, I usually just dismount cause it is just too much jarring to be practical. I used the term self limiting cause there are just some places where you really cant ride due to the bone shaking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    sounds like you are fine. I'd beef up your tires like backinthesaddle did though. maybe have a spare set of wheels too?

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    I take my Salsa La Cruz everywhere I would normally mountain bike. I give rock gardens a shot, but it's not as easy as on my the mountain bike. My CX bike is tubeless so that helps tremendously.

Not Banned

I ride mine

everywhere I can and everywhere it will take me
    if it is too gnarly I just portage but that is rare
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    everywhere I can and everywhere it will take me
    if it is too gnarly I just portage but that is rare

It really makes trails that you've ridden a million times on your mountain bike "new" again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I love riding my cross bike on mtn. trails. The only problem is flats. I don't worry about anything else.

MTT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Watch this film, and you will be happy. I am going to race this season, and I am going to use single track as part of my training in the late summer............MTT

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The-9-B...aries/70118704

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    i find i can ride faster and harder on the rough trails with my MTB, in part because of flats. Downhills you especially have to back it off a bit. I have some larger tires I'm going to try this summer, perhaps they will do the trick. You will not hurt the bike from riding on trails unless you crash on it, which is somewhat more likely especially when it is wet. On the right trails the cross bike is really fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the responses! My bike currently has 32c tires, is it pretty safe to assume that I could put 40's on there? That would be something I could do to make the ST better on my crux. Thanks again!

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jlamb
    Thanks for the responses! My bike currently has 32c tires, is it pretty safe to assume that I could put 40's on there? That would be something I could do to make the ST better on my crux. Thanks again!

I run 40's or a tad lower, but I'm tubeless. I certainly wouldn't run 40's on a trail with tubes. But that's just me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    i have some big 44 tires (the are thin 29er myb tired made by wtb) that appear to fit ok on my redline, i will try them out and see how they go for summer trail rinding. they might not fit on many bikes but are ok on mine, though i have to deflate the tire to get it out of the brakes.

the hutchinson bulldog tire is pretty large if you want to run tubelss, you need to keep them pumped up to 40-45 psi though

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Watch this and fret not.

Local trails ala cx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    I run 40's or a tad lower, but I'm tubeless. I certainly wouldn't run 40's on a trail with tubes. But that's just me.
    Sounds like you would recommend just sticking with the 32's?? Question, why wouldnt you run 40's w/o tubeless?

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Sounds like you would recommend just sticking with the 32's?? Question, why wouldnt you run 40's w/o tubeless?

Whoooppss....don't listen to me. I was talking about PSI. I didn't realize you were talking about tire size. I run Bulldogs/Piranhas. They are a pretty robust 34c. I would definitely take 40's over 32's any day for singletrack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    the smaller tires will be more prone to flatting and will need to be pumped up harder to prevents the flats, so will ride rougher and have less traction in the woods. If your trails have a lot of roots and rough stuff or if it is frequently wet and slippery, you may need a bigger tire. it depends on what will fit into your frame and how much mud sticks to your tires.

Riding a cross bike on wet, slippery tree roots and mud can be a handful. I prefer to just use the mtb when its like that as I get sick and taking slow speed falls and banging up my body, but I'm no spring chicken...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Thats a great video, really enjoyed it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Thats a great video, really enjoyed it.